Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
blackbike

Re: Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Post by blackbike »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
blackbike wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
....Someone who lives in a paranoid fantasy world.....

Farage had this fantasy of getting us out of the EU.

And made it reality through sheer hard work and telling truths the establishment tried to hide.

His effectiveness as a politician is best demonstrated by the incoherent rage which he provokes from his opponents who can't cope with his tactics.

And then resigned UKIP within a week but kept on his salaried job that he doesn't turn up too.
Was he scared?

If someone genuinely believes in something then they see it through, not give up and run away.
Because of his resignation it is my belief that he has nothing to say about further EU negotiations.
As in Zero/Zilch.

It is my belief that Farage is the most influential UK politician since Thatcher.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

So do you not feel betrayed by his immeadiate resignation?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:It is my belief that Farage is the most influential UK politician since Thatcher.

It is my belief that the word 'influence' is open to so many different interpretations that the above statement is pretty meaningless.

Politics doesn't lend itself to Top Trumps style comparisons.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

bovlomov wrote:
blackbike wrote:It is my belief that Farage is the most influential UK politician since Thatcher.

It is my belief that the word 'influence' is open to so many different interpretations that the above statement is pretty meaningless.

Nobody discusses people who have no influence.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

It's a long way from 'the most influential UK politician since Thatcher' to 'Nobody discusses people who have no influence'.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

bovlomov wrote:
blackbike wrote:
bovlomov wrote:It is my belief that the word 'influence' is open to so many different interpretations that the above statement is pretty meaningless.

It's a long way from 'the most influential UK politician since Thatcher' to 'Nobody discusses people who have no influence'.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Farage is the most influential UK politician at the moment.

He is at the forefront of the Brexit debate and our relationship with the new US administration.

Nobody needs to make plans for Nigel.

He makes them for himself, with great success.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Farage is a dick. The only person who hasn't figured it out yet is Farage, I think even Trump thinks he's one too but fancies a pet monkey.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

kwackers wrote:Farage is a dick. The only person who hasn't figured it out yet is Farage, I think even Trump thinks he's one too but fancies a pet monkey.

Thank you for your contribution to the debate.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

blackbike wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
blackbike wrote:

He is at the forefront of the Brexit debate and our relationship with the new US administration.

Nobody needs to make plans for Nigel.

He makes them for himself, with great success.

I don't agree with Nigel but I do agree with you.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
blackbike wrote:

I mean that saying (as you did first) that he is the most influential politician since Thatcher is quite different from your point that nobody discusses people who have no influence. No one would dispute that he has had influence, but a lot would argue about the extent of it. More than Blair? Cameron?

Also, it is open to question how much he has had influence and how much he has been swept along by the interests of Dacre and Murdoch. That same point could be made about many politicians, but it should be discussed before deciding that he is the most influential politician of the past 25 years.

That's another bold assertion. He is mates (for the moment) with Trump. That's all.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(without quoting, but in the context of "Is Nigel Actually Influential ?)

I think it is probably difficult to say whether or not Farange has had significant influence on politics or whether other factors brought him to prominence.

Given he has been anti-EU for some time, when the referendum happened he was going to be there to try and claim the credit (whether or not it was his doing). So that we had a referendum and the outcome was for the UK to leave the EU cannot be attributed to Farange being influential, nor that his campaigning swung it (in fact it might be that without some of his rather questionable campaigning the vote might have been stronger for leave - some aspects of his campaign undoubtedly alienated some voters, though how many would be very open to personal opinion).

I think his influence was more in terms of the perceived threat UKIP presented to the Conservatives combined with Eurosceptics in the Conservative Party all at the same time as the Conservatives had a weak and superficial leader more concerned with staying leader than anything else. Cameron in his weakness and arrogance thought of a way to neutralise the threat to the Conservatives but as with so much, he never thought it through. I suspect it was this that allowed the referendum and the outcome far more than Farange. Add in the career aspirations of several prominent Conservative politicians and the Conservative Party/Cmeron created "the perfect storm" - so more their doing that Farange's.

Had the situation not been as it was in the Conservative Party then time would have marched on, Farange would have remained in UKIP and at some point in the coming years some combination of circumstances would have created another 'perfect storm" and Farange would still have been there to claim the credit.

So I don't necessarily see him as influential. Prominent yes but I strongly suspect he considers himself more influential han he really is.

How I see things anyway.

Ian
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

blackbike wrote:.................
..................Farage is the most influential UK politician at the moment....................

Yes, but so was Hitler in Europe in the 1930s.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

JohnW wrote:
..................Farage is the most influential UK politician at the moment....................

Did Hitler have the support of his country's biggest selling daily papers on his way to success?

(Let's not mention that he had the support of some of OUR country's biggest selling papers)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bovlomov wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Did Hitler have the support of his country's biggest selling daily papers on his way to success?

(Let's not mention that he had the support of some of OUR country's biggest selling papers)

I don't know, I wasn't there at the time - do you know? However, I submit that the support of Rupert Murdoch et al is not a cause for either confidence or rejoicing.

In any case, do you know for certain that it is Farage that the gutter press support, or the idea of hatred of foreigners?

Who really gives any credibility to the press and journalists?...........is it the press's job to persuade people how to vote?

Our nation has backed a loser in brexit - you'll see.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

JohnW wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
JohnW wrote:

I don't know, I wasn't there at the time - do you know? However, I submit that the support of Rupert Murdoch et al is not a cause for either confidence or rejoicing.

In any case, do you know for certain that it is Farage that the gutter press support, or the idea of hatred of foreigners?

Blackbike was talking up Farage's influence, and I was questioning how much Farage was merely riding the wave created by Dacre and Murdoch. It's hard to separate the two things, but I think Farage's influence hasn't been nearly as great as he imagines it to be. When I say 'great' I mean 'large', not 'marvellous', obviously.