Why was Thatcher given a state funeral ??

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
syklist

Re: Why was Thatcher given a state funeral ??

Post by syklist »

Ben@Forest wrote:
syklist wrote:You are right, I cannot be sure but I would be extremely surprised if a majority of the 3 million or so EU citizens living in the UK(?) would have voted for Brexit if they had been given the chance to take part in the referendum.

They live and work in the UK too. As do non-EU immigrants.

I've added in UK there as I guess that's what you meant. But you can't expect non-British citizens to be able to vote on what essentially a matter for its citizens. You live in Norway are you a Norwegian citizen? - great and I hope you feel fully represented. I lived in Germany for five years, at no point did I feel I should have a vote for any local, federal or national election. Not my country - not my decision.

What my nationality is is actually none of your business.

Edit : removed part of post that should have been expressed differently.
Last edited by syklist on 5 Dec 2016, 10:08pm, edited 3 times in total.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Sorry - I thought we were just having a friendly conversation about why someone might/might not think that residence = right to vote. I promise I will never reply to any post you make on any subject again.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Ben@Forest wrote:Sorry - I thought we were just having a friendly conversation about why someone might/might not think that residence = right to vote. I promise I will never reply to any post you make on any subject again.

Sorry too. Sometimes it is hard to see that something is meant in a friendly way. Especially when the previous airings of the same subject were clearly not so.

I apologise for the sharpness of my post and my over reaction.
Last edited by syklist on 5 Dec 2016, 4:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Ben@Forest wrote:Sorry - I thought we were just having a friendly conversation about why someone might/might not think that residence = right to vote.

Personally I think that the right to vote should be based on where you pay your taxes to.

No taxation without representation.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Personally I feel citizenship and location are factors but mostly citizenship.

To clarify, to vote on British matters I feel you need to be British. In many votes location isn't a requisite, for example ex pats I feel should get votes in UK General elections. Provided their citizenship is still current. I do not think it appropriate for say French, Latvian or Columbian citizens voting in any of our elections, referenda or other votes. My personal view.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

syklist wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Sorry - I thought we were just having a friendly conversation about why someone might/might not think that residence = right to vote.

Personally I think that the right to vote should be based on where you pay your taxes to.

No taxation without representation.

Exactly!
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker