dont wine bottles use corks anymore?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: dont wine bottles use corks anymore?

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Overall a screw (or even better a crown) cap is the better choice. Wine never spoils when kept under a screw or crown cap.

Utter nonsense. It does. Drink more wine ;-) and you'll find one with sulphur taint.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OK, thanks for the feedback and the unique style of delivery :lol:

How about "wine stored under screw or crown cap have a very significantly reduced propensity..." as an alternative form of words.

Would we find agreement there?

I can't recall a screw cap wine having had a problem in my drinking career, but as stated, perhaps I simply don't drink enough?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:How about "wine stored under screw or crown cap have a very significantly reduced propensity..." as an alternative form of words.

Would we find agreement there?

Depends what it's significantly reduced compared to! Over 2% of screw-capped bottles are reportedly tainted, compared to about 1% of cork-sealed bottles.

Bonefishblues wrote:I can't recall a screw cap wine having had a problem in my drinking career, but as stated, perhaps I simply don't drink enough?

It would be understandable. Have you had more than five tainted wines? Something like 80% of wine used corks a few years ago and the remaining 20% included plastic corks and various unusual closures like Zorks as well as screw caps.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Where are those stats from - I find that really high for the screw cap, I must admit
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Where are those stats from - I find that really high for the screw cap, I must admit

The screw cap rate is from memory from years ago. Sites like http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6267079.stm mention it... but that claims 5% cork taint which contradicts the 1% stated on http://www.apcor.pt/en/fight-against-tca/

Now that you ask, I wonder could those of you making wild claims for the environmental and taste benefits of wine bottle tops made from highly reactive metals with plastic inserts show some evidence, please?
PH

Post by PH »

It's too much trouble to fit a cork to a box :wink:
Ray

Post by Ray »

Completely out of my depth here, I must admit. Actually, I drink very little wine, so might not be able to distinguish between good wine and the tainted variety. And if I were to drink more in an attempt to get better at it, wouldn't I risk being even less able . . . ? :wink:

Curiously, I've just bought an espresso coffee machine, and am experiencing similar feelings of inadequacy. The machine itself got good reviews ('Which' and elsewhere), so I'm reasonably confident that the hardware is OK. Being of a slightly geeky bent, I started to read around to brush up my coffee-making technique. Oh dear, rather than finding commonly accepted advice to enable me to make coffee 'properly', it's obviously not that simple. There's even a 'Coffee Geek' website. I really can't be a'd. I'll just browse the coffee shelves in the supermarket (no, no, don't tell me that's my first mistake!) and refine my own methods until I come up with something that suits my taste.

Sometimes life seems just too complicated :roll:
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Where are those stats from - I find that really high for the screw cap, I must admit

The screw cap rate is from memory from years ago. Sites like http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6267079.stm mention it... but that claims 5% cork taint which contradicts the 1% stated on http://www.apcor.pt/en/fight-against-tca/

Now that you ask, I wonder could those of you making wild claims for the environmental and taste benefits of wine bottle tops made from highly reactive metals with plastic inserts show some evidence, please?

We can probably trawl stats culled from t'interweb all night TBH, but summarised you say there's less tendency for spoilage in a cork-sealed bottle vs a screw or crown-capped bottle and I'm taking the opposite view.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ray wrote:Completely out of my depth here, I must admit. Actually, I drink very little wine, so might not be able to distinguish between good wine and the tainted variety. And if I were to drink more in an attempt to get better at it, wouldn't I risk being even less able . . . ? :wink:

Curiously, I've just bought an espresso coffee machine, and am experiencing similar feelings of inadequacy. The machine itself got good reviews ('Which' and elsewhere), so I'm reasonably confident that the hardware is OK. Being of a slightly geeky bent, I started to read around to brush up my coffee-making technique. Oh dear, rather than finding commonly accepted advice to enable me to make coffee 'properly', it's obviously not that simple. There's even a 'Coffee Geek' website. I really can't be a'd. I'll just browse the coffee shelves in the supermarket (no, no, don't tell me that's my first mistake!) and refine my own methods until I come up with something that suits my taste.

Sometimes life seems just too complicated :roll:

I went bean-to-cup and haven't regretted it. I know it's perhaps not that gnat's nadger as good, but it's sure as heck less faff and more consistent in my hands at least. Can I recommend Happy Donkey as a bean supplier - way better than the (very modest) price tag would suggest :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I use the corkscrew attachment on my Swiss Army knife, whenever a cork needs to be drawn. Absolutely the best corkscrew in the business - no argument! And it gives me a bit of exercise...

Yes cheapo plonk often comes with screw tops. We use that sort of wine for cooking, and it's an advantage to be able to re-seal the half-empty bottle (ok you can push the cork half-way in, but that often makes the bottle too tall for the cupboard). And almost-as-cheapo stuff comes with those plastic 'corks' which I detest. But sometimes you have no choice.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ray wrote: I'll just browse the coffee shelves in the supermarket (no, no, don't tell me that's my first mistake!)

Bonefishblues wrote: Can I recommend Happy Donkey as a bean supplier

I just knew it! But thanks anyway for the suggestion :)

Now I'm going to stand back and leave this thread to the wine buffs.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Cork causing flavour problems is an issue with rosé wines. We drink a lot of rosé and it was affecting perhaps one in 3 or 4 at one time. I've only ever experienced it once or twice with red and I can't ever remember it with white.

I do like a cork, having said that.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:We went to a cheese and wine do at the Queen's Head last week.
£8 a head - 25 of us I think.

The St Austell Brewery wine expert came with a dozen different wines - white, rose, and red - plus a port.
The pub provided the selection of cheeses to go with each wine.

We all had a brilliant time, and the wine buff was excellent and knowledgeable, a did a presentation of each wine. We all had a small glass of each. He got us to smell the wine, take a sip, then taste the cheese.
Superb! :D

Any road up, back to the OP.

The wine buff was asked about cork vs screw-top, and he said something about the better quality wines need the cork because .................................. trouble is, I can't remember what the reason was.
Maybe it was towards the end of the evening. :oops:

Any road up, he maintained that cork was better (for some reason that I can't remember) for the quality wines, though screw-top and plastic corks were ok for the common or garden supermarket stuff.

sounds to me that the small glasses of wine were not that small? :lol: