A Cry From the Elites

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
SpannerGeek

A Cry From the Elites

Post by SpannerGeek »

For those unfamiliar with 'the elite' and what they are trying to do to the world, Stephen Hawking inadvertently gives you an insight:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... inequality

those sceptical of the current anti elite Zeitgeist (Brexit, Trump, Le Pen) let's take a look at our own backyard in the next 6 months as neofascism takes a hold of Europe:

1. Italian referendum this Sunday, incumbent loses, snap election , Five Star ultra right Brexit style party wins.

2. France, emboldened by their Italian cousins Le Pen takes control, seeks Brexit style agreement.

3. Belgium gets same.

4. May announces Article 50 plans in March, resulting melee means snap election by June. Who gets in power? See above.

For any doubting Thomases, did you think Brexit would really happen, did you think Trump would win? The world is about to take a huge step to the right. This is a dangerous time right enough, for ordinary people, not 'the world'.

Clever people didn't see it coming in 1930 either, ten years later they were all in the camps. Technology has made all of the above infinitely more achievable, and plausible.
landsurfer

Re: A Cry From the Elites

Post by landsurfer »

Impossible, implausible and scaremongering,

But absolutely right SpannerGeek.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

This maybe an odd idea but wotsabout moving (the dump)Wigan to Richmond whilst the people of Richmond move to dump-Wigan. They could also swop jobs,given anyone in Wigan has a decent job. It's just a thought. If successful Hartlepool,Tyneside and others may follow. :(

With apologies to those who live in the north...or other dumps!
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Here is a very short statement about the Rothschild family. It's obviously biased to emphasise one particular aspect - the enormous world power it exerts through it's banking wealth and operations. Nonetheless, it does indicate just how a handful of people (like the Rothschilds) are as influential as politicians, states, electorates, etc. Hawking says as much in his article.

In the fast changing, anti-elitist Western firmament I would guess that one thing is sure. The elite who operate the wealth and power strings (which are attached to politicians and states) will continue to protect their existing wealth and amass more. Even in other parts of the world, the powers (elites) of different forms (which also usually involve amassing wealth) will protect themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/WakingTimes/ph ... 12/?type=3
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't know what made the US vote for Trump, but I'm pretty sure that the Brexit vote was nothing to do with any sort of Neo-Fascism. I don't know any Neo-Fascists. I imagine most of us don't. You can try to talk it up as a sort of Bogeyman thing, but in reality Neo-Fascism, in the UK, is near extinct. It is the province of a sad little clique, not a great mass movement. And let us be clear. To be Fascist you have to endorse the establishment of a dictatorship and the suppression of any dissent. If you think Fascism does not necessarily include those aspects you need to get a better dictionary.
pwa

Post by pwa »

tyreon wrote:This maybe an odd idea but wotsabout moving (the dump)Wigan to Richmond whilst the people of Richmond move to dump-Wigan. They could also swop jobs,given anyone in Wigan has a decent job. It's just a thought. If successful Hartlepool,Tyneside and others may follow. :(

With apologies to those who live in the north...or other dumps!

I assume you are talking about Richmond in Surrey and not the infinitely nicer Richmond in Yorkshire.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Geoff.D wrote:Here is a very short statement about the Rothschild family. It's obviously biased to emphasise one particular aspect - the enormous world power it exerts through it's banking wealth and operations. Nonetheless, it does indicate just how a handful of people (like the Rothschilds) are as influential as politicians, states, electorates, etc. Hawking says as much in his article.

Have you any evidence to back up that statement?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:I don't know what made the US vote for Trump, but I'm pretty sure that the Brexit vote was nothing to do with any sort of Neo-Fascism.

Desperation, if you've nothing to lose, you'll chose change on the theory that it can't get worse. If you're then offered an explanation as to why things are so bad, EU, Political Elite...then why wouldn't you try it? The left alternative doesn’t even get a look in, just look at who controls the media for an explanation why. That the voters are not right wing, isn't an indication that what they're voting for isn't.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

pwa wrote:I don't know what made the US vote for Trump, but I'm pretty sure that the Brexit vote was nothing to do with any sort of Neo-Fascism. I don't know any Neo-Fascists. I imagine most of us don't. You can try to talk it up as a sort of Bogeyman thing, but in reality Neo-Fascism, in the UK, is near extinct. It is the province of a sad little clique, not a great mass movement. And let us be clear. To be Fascist you have to endorse the establishment of a dictatorship and the suppression of any dissent. If you think Fascism does not necessarily include those aspects you need to get a better dictionary.

Okay I'll play your dictionary game, here are the five main tenets of the Front National (a French far right neo fascist party who hope to gain power):

1.Protectionism
2. Anti Immigration
3. Very Euro sceptic
4. Right wing populism
5. Social conservatism

Sounds a lot right the OUT campaign for Brexit doesn't it?

There are lots of deodorised neo fascists in Parliament, all waiting, salivating for a chance. When May does her 'big reveal' in march the current administration is done for. A GE will be on the cards within months. Then you'll see the Right in this country swivel.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:I don't know what made the US vote for Trump, but I'm pretty sure that the Brexit vote was nothing to do with any sort of Neo-Fascism. I don't know any Neo-Fascists. I imagine most of us don't. You can try to talk it up as a sort of Bogeyman thing, but in reality Neo-Fascism, in the UK, is near extinct. It is the province of a sad little clique, not a great mass movement. And let us be clear. To be Fascist you have to endorse the establishment of a dictatorship and the suppression of any dissent. If you think Fascism does not necessarily include those aspects you need to get a better dictionary.

From the Oxford dictionary - as good a dictionary as any and better than most. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fascism
"fascism
NOUN

1[mass noun] An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.
Example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practices:
‘this is yet another example of health fascism in action’"

No mention there of dictatorship.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

There was an interesting article on the Guardian the other day about the people that Trump was appointing, that in spite of the populist uprising that he claimed to represent, he was appointing people who in some way or other represented the rich and powerful ( eg Kochs bros ) leaders of shadily funded organistions ( think tanks which are really lobbying orgs for the rich ), and against all the progressive and enlightened thinking of the age due to vested interests - tobacoo, pollution ( coal and oil ) and climate concerns. I wish now I had kept it as it made a chilling read. The message was Trump maynot know what he is doing but they do....something very sinister has just happened to the USA. I am glad I am not a yank

from the bbc today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38168382
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There can be no doubt we're on the cusp of something that ain't good.
If anyone thinks this is people power and not the Establishment morphing and shedding it's skin into another worse creature(sorry for the Ickeism),they're very sadly mistaken.....

EDITED for a typo and grammar
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Dec 2016, 11:48am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

(apropos le Front National)
SpannerGeek wrote:1.Protectionism

Wasn't the EU herself protectionist? I know they called it a free trade area, but the free part was a quite small bit of land, and every country outside of it had to pay tariffs for the privilege of trading. It seems like quite a good idea now I reflect on it.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

reohn2 wrote:There can be no doubt we're on the cusp of something that ain't good.
If anyone thinks this people power and isn't the Establishment morphing and shedding it's skin into another worse creature(sorry for the Ickeism),they're very sadly mistaken.....

I doubt a chicken would indeed morph itself into a turkey, just in time for Xmas.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Another bleat from the elite bemoaning the fall of 'the old world order'. Boris Johnson at his pro establishment best!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... orld-order