The Most Annoying Noise

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

The Most Annoying Noise

Post by Mick F »

What's your most annoying noise?

Creaking saddle?
Rubbing chain?
Catching brake-blocks?
Hissing valves?
Squeaking hubs?
Clicking cleats?
Rattling mudguards?
Or those prats playing football, shouting and screaming on a Saturday evening, disturbing the peace of an otherwise quiet valley?
Mick F. Cornwall
rower40

Post by rower40 »

Youfs shouting "where're your handlebars?" (I ride underseat-steering recumbent. I'd love to reply "Where my hands are!" but I'm not going to dignify their outburst with a response.)

Hissing tube noise that only ends when the tyre is completely anaerobic.

Revving of an Internal Combustion Engine from behind when there's going to be a difference-of-opinion as to how wide the road is.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

I reckon its catching break blocks.

Mostly cos I know Im wasting energy.

Last week, I was certain I had the catching break block virus attacking me. I still do..... Horrible squeak when I set off from a halt sign. All was well, until I gave my bike a do it yourself MOT.

Well, its me own fault.

Free Wheelin Mary
PW

Post by PW »

Hissing geese on the towpath. :evil:
Out of a flock of 11 there are 2 regular so-and-sos which will peck if I let them get close enough. The trick is to make the end of the beak meet the sole of a shoe without tapping them hard enough to cause damage!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
dodger

Post by dodger »

Wake up - it's time for work!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stoker when she's tired :?

Seriously though.When the saddle clicks and creaks and needs a bit of grease on the rails,even though I know what it is I don't like the sound,it always sounds like it should be more serious.
Another one is when a spoke breaks,its instantly recognisable and sets the mind wondering if its time for a rebuild.
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

LBS guy/assistant/geek "tutting" "......oooooooo that's gonna cost yer", followed by copious hand rubbing.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

Over amplified in-car 'entertainment' systems. It's either Thud, Thud, Thud, or if the windows are open some weird sound I don't associate with music in a language I don't understand ... Innit :twisted: .
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

I think the most annoying noise is the one that you can't quite identify where it's coming from and you can't help wondering if it's potentially serious.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

AlbionLass wrote:I think the most annoying noise is the one that you can't quite identify where it's coming from and you can't help wondering if it's potentially serious.

I quite agree..
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

Babies crying. Without doubt the most annoying sound in the world.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
rower40

Post by rower40 »

Jamesy wrote:Babies crying. Without doubt the most annoying sound in the world.

Blame Darwin. It's an evolution thing; if we grown-ups didn't find crying such a attention-grabbing noise, we'd ignore babies, and there wouldn't be a next generation. Or, the babies that are more likely to survive into adulthood are the ones that can make the most annoying noise, so the gene for crying has an evolutionary advantage (when taken over hundreds of generations).
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

rower40 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:Babies crying. Without doubt the most annoying sound in the world.

Blame Darwin. It's an evolution thing; if we grown-ups didn't find crying such a attention-grabbing noise, we'd ignore babies, and there wouldn't be a next generation. Or, the babies that are more likely to survive into adulthood are the ones that can make the most annoying noise, so the gene for crying has an evolutionary advantage (when taken over hundreds of generations).

I find it quite easy to ignore crying babies, fortunately Oliver didn't cry much, or maybe he did and I just didn't hear him. :)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ping.

Broken spoke on the block side.
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

The most annoying noise is when you are grovelling up a great big hill and gasping for breath and someone effortly passes you on a bike and greets you with a great big grin and says what a lovely day it is to be out on your bike. :evil: