Ban Politics from the forum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Politics Too Contentious, Time to Stop!

Poll ended at 9 Dec 2016, 8:33am

No more political threads
50%
Politics behind a closed door, opt in only, largely unmoderated
50%

Total votes: 18

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Ban politics over xmas 'til the new year?

Post by Mick F »

Sounds good to me. :D
Instead, how about Easter?
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Let ban duplicate repeating polls on virtually the same subject.

I'm no longer surprised at how people are annoyed about the swamping of the Tea shop with repeat after repeat threads on virtually the same subject.

Ban the duplicate/repeats and people will probably not even notice there are any current affairs in the T-shop.

But the number of these "Lets ban" threads and polls is now way way way out of hand. And in my opinion the proposal is daft anyway (as most of the threads people are discussing are current affairs rather than politics). And we've had so many polls that we now know they don't give any answers and yet more just swamps the T-shop annoying others who are not interested - which no longer surprises me any more given how often this duplicate/repeat threads on virtually identical discussions is happening.

Maybe I should start some polls 'cos I'm sure I can come up with some minor twist making other polls "that are not mine" not answer the exact question I can dream up.

Ian
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i'm for this, despite what i said in the other thread.

i just think of all the dinners that are going to be burned or delayed while somebody carefully outlines their arguments and triple checks their spelling and grammar.

in other news, i was sure triple had two Ps in it #mandelaeffect

and re psamathe's post. i'm not actually interested in politics, the threads about threads about threads about politics are where it's at for me!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

What's this? Keep asking the same question until one gets the right answer? ;)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:Let ban duplicate repeating polls on virtually the same subject.

I'm no longer surprised at how people are annoyed about the swamping of the Tea shop with repeat after repeat threads on virtually the same subject.

Ban the duplicate/repeats and people will probably not even notice there are any current affairs in the T-shop.

But the number of these "Lets ban" threads and polls is now way way way out of hand. And in my opinion the proposal is daft anyway (as most of the threads people are discussing are current affairs rather than politics). And we've had so many polls that we now know they don't give any answers and yet more just swamps the T-shop annoying others who are not interested - which no longer surprises me any more given how often this duplicate/repeat threads on virtually identical discussions is happening.

Maybe I should start some polls 'cos I'm sure I can come up with some minor twist making other polls "that are not mine" not answer the exact question I can dream up.

Ian

loosen up man its xmas time
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Let ban duplicate repeating polls on virtually the same subject.

Ian

loosen up man its xmas time

It's yet another threads on pretty much the same subject that has been discussed on endless threads with endless polls for some time now. It's been discussed, points raised, etc. Why go through it all yet again when some here (now understandably) don't like seeing the forum swamped by such threads. And as somebody who previously defended people discussing whatever they wanted, even I think it has gone way beyond a joke now.

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Ban polls over the christ mass period ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Ban polls over the christ mass period ......

North,South or Barber's
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:

North,South or Barber's

Magnetic ... DOH !!! .................. :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I feel another new thread coming on.

And then there are the threads/polls to discuss if politics should be banned until Boxing Day .........

Ian
cycle tramp

Re: Ban Politics from the forum

Post by cycle tramp »

So, my local council is voting to have refuse bin collections changed from a collection every fortnight to once every three weeks. I can understand this. The amount of materials that still go to landfill is insane, but equally i can understand why people voted for trump and voted to leave the e.u. The pace of change is just too fast and everything is getting to complicated. Even the illusion that those persons who used to have control is slipping... The only thing left is to do for those people who 'want their old world back' is to register their dissatisfaction by voting for outsiders in the vague hope something may change for the better.
So the new tsar of cycling for London, is this s good thing or would his pay packet have been better spent on cycle facilities
Ho ho ho...
Psamathe

Re: Ban Politics from the forum

Post by Psamathe »

[quote="cycle tramp"...
So the new tsar of cycling for London, is this s good thing or would his pay packet have been better spent on cycle facilities
Ho ho ho...[/quote]
http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=111240