Brexit and Farming.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Brexit and Farming.

Post by Paulatic »

The EU give money to LFA areas it’s a good earner and is paid to help farmers on that type of land. As you can imagine most of Scotland’s land qualifies for it. Ever since it’s been paid that full amount has never been given to those LFA farmers it’s meant for. U.K. gov take that money, add it to other EU monies and then share it throughout the U.K. in a manner they seem fit and not in the manner EU intended it to be paid.
Consequently farmers mostly in England, as Wales also has a lot of qualifying land, receive far more assistance than their land qualifies for. Farmers on LFA land receive less than was intended.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Paulatic wrote:The EU give money to LFA areas it’s a good earner and is paid to help farmers on that type of land. As you can imagine most of Scotland’s land qualifies for it. Ever since it’s been paid that full amount has never been given to those LFA farmers it’s meant for. U.K. gov take that money, add it to other EU monies and then share it throughout the U.K. in a manner they seem fit and not in the manner EU intended it to be paid.
Consequently farmers mostly in England, as Wales also has a lot of qualifying land, receive far more assistance than their land qualifies for. Farmers on LFA land receive less than was intended.

Can you point me in the direction of proof of this? I'm not saying you're wrong but l spent half an hour googling this and skimming through various LFA strategies over the years and still can't find any allusion to it. If it is true l'd have thought that SNP and many SNP supporters would have brought this up.

I am interested because most of my work is in upland Britian, usually England but sometimes Scotland, have never heard this and want to know how it works!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A quick look finds me this which is perhaps where the conversations about loosing out come from.
https://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingrura ... ts31102012
This is very recent, Gove admitting he’s spent it elsewhere.
https://www.thescottishfarmer.co.uk/new ... e-funding/

E2E info
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Paulatic wrote:A quick look finds me this which is perhaps where the conversations about loosing out come from...

Thanks - so that was allocation of a one-off payment not part of the actual LFA funding (though as you say just about everything in Scotland is LFA). But why are the Pillar 1 payments to Scotland so low? - is it because overproduction on marginal land is unlikely?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Paulatic wrote:A quick look finds me this which is perhaps where the conversations about loosing out come from...

Thanks - so that was allocation of a one-off payment not part of the actual LFA funding (though as you say just about everything in Scotland is LFA). But why are the Pillar 1 payments to Scotland so low? - is it because overproduction on marginal land is unlikely?

I don’t pretend to understand it all fully as I’ve been out of the industry 7 yrs now, I’ve always found some of their terminology hard to comprehend. Whilst it might be a one off payment it covers 5 or6 yrs of income for farmers in Scotland.
I believe it also demonstrates if Scotland had followed independence and become a member state its income from CAP could have been a lot higher than it actually received from being part of the U.K. Lots of people voted No as they were told it would guarantee remaining in the EU. But that’s another subject and only the future will show what the outcome of those untruths will yield.

E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:It is interesting how we are so concerned about our "energy security" being unprepared to take the risk of being dependent on our allies by importing electricity from them yet we happily make ourselves totally dependent on food imports. If other countries wanted to "strangle us" for some reason then they don't need us to be dependent on their power, just stop shipping us food.

Not even vaguely true. We grow about 60% of our own food, and depending on how you feed people we could do better, of course that implies rationing, more arable crops which reduces biodiversity compared to pastureland and digging up Lords to plant vegetables (as I think they did in WW2).

A lot of food imports we could do without - do we need baby asparagus spears flown in from Kenya out of season? No, but there's always another side to it. I met an M&S buyer who said that for every campaigner trying to reduce airmiles there's another who wants the retailers to support a Kenyan women's co-operative where they've built a primary school, etc, etc.

We could import far less food, but we'd be eating more brassica and potatoes and a lot less meat.

Plus One, and more porridge of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:It is interesting how we are so concerned about our "energy security" being unprepared to take the risk of being dependent on our allies by importing electricity from them yet we happily make ourselves totally dependent on food imports. If other countries wanted to "strangle us" for some reason then they don't need us to be dependent on their power, just stop shipping us food.

Not even vaguely true. We grow about 60% of our own food, and depending on how you feed people we could do better, of course that implies rationing, more arable crops which reduces biodiversity compared to pastureland and digging up Lords to plant vegetables (as I think they did in WW2).

A lot of food imports we could do without - do we need baby asparagus spears flown in from Kenya out of season? No, but there's always another side to it. I met an M&S buyer who said that for every campaigner trying to reduce airmiles there's another who wants the retailers to support a Kenyan women's co-operative where they've built a primary school, etc, etc.

We could import far less food, but we'd be eating more brassica and potatoes and a lot less meat.

Plus One, and more porridge of course

Surely, it is "vaguely true"?
If we only grow 60% of our food requirement then 40% of the population starve?
We import a lot of food from the EU, make no mistake. One visit to any supermarket will confirm this.

----
Generally brassicas don't grow that well in Wales! Especially if intensively grown. Many of the soils are prone to clubroot.

That's why they throw leeks* onto the pitch at Rugby matches. (*from Lawrence.D. Hills book; Organic Gardening")
The vegetable that saved the miners gardens.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

"The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has today (Thursday 26 January 2023) set out detailed plans for the nation’s farming sector, supporting farmers to be profitable and resilient as they produce food sustainably while protecting nature and enhancing the environment."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ther ... tal-action

Guardian commentary: "New farm subsidies regime could be great for nature – if properly funded":
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... rly-funded

Jonathan