Celebrity deaths 2016

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Celebrity deaths 2016

Post by francovendee »

I feel that there has been a larger than usual number of celebrity deaths in 2016, often at a relatively young age.
If it goes on like this I won't recognize any of the stars in the news in a year or two.
Maybe it's just an impression I have and it's no higher than normal?
Bonefishblues

Re: Celebrity deaths 2016

Post by Bonefishblues »

meic

Post by meic »

It will continue to rise because there will be an ever increasing number of people who qualify as "celebrities".
That is due to an increase in world population, an increase in our global outlook and a deflation of what qualifies you to be a celebrity.
Yma o Hyd
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

meic wrote:It will continue to rise because there will be an ever increasing number of people who qualify as "celebrities".
That is due to an increase in world population, an increase in our global outlook and a deflation of what qualifies you to be a celebrity.

+1. They'll soon be rolling out extensive, in depth obituaries for Ready Steady Cook participants!

15 minutes of fame indeed. I guess in a facebook world where everyone has a 'platform' for self indulgent, self promotion any 'real' fame, be it ever so humble is blown out of all proportion.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

As we get older they also get older...... better them than you
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I blame Donald Trump and Brexit.

BTW,I wonder what the death toll percentage is for(unknown) people killed in the middle east compared to recent years.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

yakdiver wrote:As we get older they also get older...... better them than you

I wonder how many of them rode bicycles? :lol:
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I think a few have been particularly high profile making it look that way. Some are going quite young, but most of them have a long history of substance abuse, so it's no great surprise they aren't getting their telegram from the queen. In fairness to 2016, 1916 was far worse for premature deaths.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

and now Debbie Reynolds -
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

meic wrote:It will continue to rise because there will be an ever increasing number of people who qualify as "celebrities".

Totally agree. When staying with my daughter I saw a programme called 'I'm a celebrity ... get me out of here' I really didn't know who these 'celebrities' were. A celebrity from just watching TV and being filmed.
On a recent Celebrity Mastermind they had one contestant who is a 'celebrity' because she's on a programme about people watching television :roll:
My OP was about internationally known artists (all types of artist), sportsmen etc. I accept that as I get older it'll start to happen but it seemed as each week another death was announced.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Plus, because of the population's unbelievable interest in "celebrity", these deaths are reported often as news headlines receiving a prominence they would never previously have been given.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Debbie Renolds interview on bbc hard talk was amusing, and her attitude probably was why she survived so long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ds-actress
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Have any celebrities died in 2017 yet?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Plenty.

But you have to redefine what celebrity means today?

maybe nothing has changed but we just have more of them.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.