Christmas presents ... Do cyclists ever get what they want ???

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

Christmas presents ... Do cyclists ever get what they want ???

Post by landsurfer »

Did you get nice Christmas pressies ? Did you actually get anything you really wanted ???

I got 2 " old guys rule " cycle themed t-shirts, a pair of FLH 55 cycle shoes, a puncture repair kit and a pair of 25mm Hutchinson road tyres.

From my wife .....

I am, frankly, in shock .... The best present haul ever ....in 30 years ..
Everything I would have bought for myself !!

She listened ... :D :D :) :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Spinners

Re: Christmas presents ... Do cyclists ever get what they want ???

Post by Spinners »

Not such a good year on the cycling front, just a pair of gloves to add to the three I already own and the Trott/Kenny book which I probably wouldn't have bothered with. Not that I'm complaining though as my non-cycling gifts really hit the spot.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I put the word out amongst family I was in need of a new buff.
Result two Tour de France themed buffs. Excellent :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Paulatic wrote:I put the word out amongst family I was in need of a new buff.
Result two Tour de France themed buffs. Excellent :D

My LBS man knows my family, and they buy credit notes from him, for my presents. That way I do get what I want, and my family don't have frustrating heart searching moments wondering what to buy or whether I'll like it.

Don't laugh at this (well, go on then), but being a cyclist - out on the bike all day, and some days are hot, and I climb hills from dalehead to dalehead - I find that part of my pre-ride preparation includes suitable quantities of talc, suitably placed in suitable locations. My wife's sister gave me half a year's supply for Christmas - bless her.

OK, it's funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , but it's not funny if I've sweated like a racehorse and forgotten the talc! :shock: :oops: :cry:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I got exactly what I wanted, nothing for the bike....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

JohnW wrote:OK, it's funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , but it's not funny if I've sweated like a racehorse and forgotten the talc! :shock: :oops: :cry:

Just watch the top doesn't come off when applying or they won't see you for dust. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I did alright... I got some gloves that didn't quite fit, but I took them and exchanged them for a pair that fit very well, and had a bit left over for a spare front light.

I also got a couple of other bits that were specific requests, and a little box to hook up to my computer to download photos from several different type of memory/sim cards.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I'm quite happy to receive money towards my cycling hol's. I know it's not very festive but really appreciated.
I also got:-
Le-Tour-De-France-Jigsaw-Puzzle-500.jpg
Le-Tour-De-France-Jigsaw-Puzzle-500.jpg (68.07 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tour+ ... pPfCv0M%3A
You'll never know if you don't try it.
irc

Post by irc »

I got a pair of Spa touring wheels. About 5 bottles of malt whisky, a book, and a "Mister Wonderful" coaster.

Can't complain.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Waterproof merino socks, vented sunglasses. :D
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

rjb wrote:
JohnW wrote:OK, it's funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , but it's not funny if I've sweated like a racehorse and forgotten the talc! :shock: :oops: :cry:

Just watch the top doesn't come off when applying or they won't see you for dust. :lol:

er...I don't take the talc with me - I make a quantitive judgment when applying.

I also apply copious quantities of very cheap talc (cheaper and easier to get than powdered French Chalk) to inner tubes and inside tyres when fitting :? . I was riding home from work one evening through a small town centre, when I had to brake hard - and my well-worn and well past it rear rim finally gave up the ghost and split :roll: . A friend was riding behind me. The first thing that happened was that the inner tube broke free, burst and went off like rifle shot :shock:. Next the wire around the rim broke free and clattered on the frame and stays with the noise like dustbins falling off the back of the wagon :oops: , right alongside a 'bus queue :lol: :lol: . My friend (behind me, remember) said that the most spectacular part of it all was the clouds of (what appeared to be) gunsmoke billowing out from the rear and people in the 'bus queue dicking :lol: :lol: .

Talc can be more than pleasant smelling comfort.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I got care and effort taken in finding things for me - some surprising, and some things that I had put on the list I was asked to produce.

What they were was secondary.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Brooks rubber saddle cover, proofhide, overshoes and windproof bib tights. Happy :D
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
PH

Post by PH »

Two days off work, mild weather, the Peak District almost to myself, what more could I want?
honesty

Post by honesty »

I got a lego car, which I sat and built with my 5 year old daughter. It was lovely.

I bought the cycling stuff I wanted in the boxing day sales...