The price of disposable razors

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: The price of disposable razors

Post by Paulatic »

RRSODL wrote:
francovendee wrote:My father used a safety razor that you resharpened. It all came in a metal box that was part of the sharpening mechanism. The company was called 'Rolls Razor'. I can still clearly remember the sound of him sharpening it every morning before shaving.
In my teens I tried it and it felt like it was tearing your face off.
When he died I kept it for years and still wish I had it.

The owner of the company then went on to make 'Rolls washing machines'. They offered very good value but the company eventually went bust.
I seem to remember the owner was to blame and it was headlines in the papers.,

That's very interesting. I don't think I have seen such razor.

You probably weren't around in the fifties or earlier. They were very common then.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

francovendee wrote:My father used a safety razor that you resharpened. It all came in a metal box that was part of the sharpening mechanism. The company was called 'Rolls Razor'. I can still clearly remember the sound of him sharpening it every morning before shaving.

The owner of the company then went on to make 'Rolls washing machines'. They offered very good value but the company eventually went bust.

John Bloom - sort of a cross between James Dyson and Philip Green in the sixties.

Grandfather used a cut throat razor - don't know how he managed because he'd been blinded by gas in WW1 but he never used to cut himself. I guess a cut throat is the opposite of a disposable - lasting for many many years if sharpened properly.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:For legs it's the same procedure lather them up whilst in the shower,then shave from ankle upwards,being careful around the knees as mine are bit boney :? ,I stop about mid thigh above cycling shorts length.
A quick rub with hand cream afterwards and ahhh! nice :oops: :oops:

Your doing the legs thing all wrong ......me hot shower, Jules, hot shower ..... Me, laid face down on large towel on bed, Jules shaves my legs ....... Etc... Etc ...etc lol :D fun and giggles abound ..... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

dont know why this thread has run so long - nothing to stop women buying mens razors? they are not all large? any way I thought these days it was wax on-wax off?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Your doing the legs thing all wrong ......me hot shower, Jules, hot shower ..... Me, laid face down on large towel on bed, Jules shaves my legs ....... Etc... Etc ...etc lol :D fun and giggles abound ..... :D

PM me your address I'll pop round :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Travel Lodge has just called me back. Can't do it, but someone's anonymously paid for a complimentary function room at the Dorchester. Organic argan oil being flown in apparently [emoji267]
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pete75 wrote: ... Grandfather used a cut throat razor -...

I had one for some years although I never tried shaving with it. I've no idea if this still applies but in my student days French paperbacks tended to be sold with the pages uncut. ie The large printed sheets were folded and sewn into the binding but the edges were not trimmed. This could be a joy or a bind depending on POV. Uncut pages meant that nobody had ever opened the volume, but cutting them could be a faff. The mother of one of my former school friends had kept her father's (grandfather's ?) open razor because she did not want to throw it away so giving it to me counted as a good home. It did the job a treat but at some point it disappeared. Memory a bit vague after all that time but my wife was never too keen on it and I fancy she binned it.

(No Sweeney jokes please. :wink: )
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

landsurfer wrote:Your doing the legs thing all wrong ......me hot shower, Jules, hot shower ..... Me, laid face down on large towel on bed, Jules shaves my legs ....... Etc... Etc ...etc lol :D fun and giggles abound ..... :D

And to think I settled for a wood fired pizza!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:(No Sweeney jokes please. :wink: )

Sorry but that was like a red rag to a bull: :mrgreen:
[youtube]18NiLtLM78g[/youtube]
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:
(No Sweeney jokes please. :wink: )

OK then we'd better [youtube]gsEtaX207a4[/youtube] :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

That's right, just missed it :)

Paulatic wrote:
RRSODL wrote:

That's very interesting. I don't think I have seen such razor.

You probably weren't around in the fifties or earlier. They were very common then.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

This is one of the hairiest threads and worth resuscitating

I do love my grey beard in the winter, I look a bit like a dog

Glad to report that I never learned to shave, doing so is about as unnecessary as buying mineral water, alternative facts welcome
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

hondated wrote:Do you think the price of these and £20 for 8 replacement razpor blades is why we have seen a proliferation of bearded men in recent years.

No sure. I've a full on Brian Blessed beard, and I Bic my head.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.