Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Trump's response to Meryl Streep's speech....

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The position celebrities hold really requires them to speak out against the vile vitriol that trump is spouting.

I think celebrities need to be careful how they phrase their personal views. From what I've seem of Ms Streep's speech she spoke well in that she was talking for herself (how she felt, what she wished for, etc.). That is very different from e.g. Lilley Allen who decided she should apologise on behalf of the UK. She was not any representative of the UK so had no right to apologise on behalf of the country. Express her opinions, highlight facts she feels relevant, etc. are fine but need to be clear about who they are speaking for.

(My point is not about agreeing or disagreeing with what either celebrity said, just I see nothing wrong with them using an opportunity they have to express their personal opinions (we all do)).

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Boyd wrote:
661-Pete wrote:PerhNoaps if a film star said something that some person wanted to hear, and agreed with, that film star would magically appear to that person to be not 'shallow' after all!

No I can assure you no matter which film star wherever it be John Wayne or Mel Gibson they should keep there views to themselves at certain events.

These events are a traditional platform for celebrities to ensure they have a large, captive audience for their views on a wide variety of topics, whether politicians, saving the earth, the stigmatisation of mental illness, or their favourite charity. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Things like this reflect badly on Trump, no only because it makes him look small minded and defensive (pathetic), but because he is totally inconsistent. What has Ms Streep done in the last year to move from being one of Trump's favourite actresses to now being "overrated".
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/donald-trump-said-meryl-streep-was-one-of-his-favorite-actresses-a7518551.html wrote:“Julia Roberts is terrific, and many others,” he then told The Hollywood Reporter, before admitting, “Meryl Streep is excellent; she’s a fine person, too. ...

Does he even know what he thinks? - and that question is worrying given the power he seems to already have and that he will be getting a lot more very soon.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:Does he even know what he thinks? - and that question is worrying given the power he seems to already have and that he will be getting a lot more very soon.

Ian

No he doesn't - because he doesn't. He just reacts...

At least that's what this looks like.
There was a rather nice tweet back at him - If 157 awards as an actor makes Meryl Streep "overrated" what does 6 bankruptcies make you as a businessman?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The UK voting system is similar. At one election labour got more votes but the tories got more seats and all the power.

Without a doubt democracy doesn't exist in the UK either IMHO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:Without a doubt democracy doesn't exist in the UK either IMHO

Yesterday at our U3A 'French conversation' group we were reading through (and translating) a page of French jokes. Here is how one of them ran:
Démocratie: régime où tout le monde a le droit de dire que l'on est en dictature.
Dictature: régime où tout le monde doit dire que l'on est en démocratie.
Hardly really needs translating (if you've done French at school) - but just in case:
Democracy: regime in which everyone has the right to say they're living in a dictatorship.
Dictatorship: regime in which everyone must say they're living in a democracy.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

Boyd wrote:It is astonishing just how important film stars think they are. Its not that they shouldn't say what they think, it's using that particular stage to put there views over. I wouldn't mind but they are even more shallow than politians!!

Can you not see any irony in that? It was Trumps celebrity status that got him in a position to be nominated.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bonefishblues wrote:In his new role, what else?

Bonefishblues wrote:
I wish him every success, i really do..................

I replied :
In DOING what?

................in DOING what? not in what?

Do you know what he'll DO? - what he says and how he says it may give a clue. Just thank the Lord that you're not a muslim, a black American or a Mexican.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

JohnW wrote:

Bonefishblues wrote:

I replied :
In DOING what?

Do you know what he'll DO? - what he says and how he says it may give a clue. Just thank the Lord that you're not a muslim, a black American or a Mexican.

Why are you shouting? I wished the so-called Leader of the Free World success in the role he's about to take up.

That's it. Please pick an argument with someone who wants one, this is barren ground in that respect. :wink:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bonefishblues wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Bonefishblues wrote:

I replied :
In DOING what?

Why are you shouting? I wished the so-called Leader of the Free World success in the role he's about to take up.

That's it. Please pick an argument with someone who wants one, this is barren ground in that respect. :wink:

No - I wasn't shouting - I was highlighting the difference between wishing someone success, and wishing him success in what he intends to do. You seem to have misinterpreted my, and I'm sorry for giving the impression.

Of course, Trump seems to be picking an argument with a whole world that doesn't want one.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Jules .... my lady.... She thinks that there will be a "Kennedy' moment, possibly not involving a grassy knoll, in the near future ....... which would be super bad from every angle ..... but Very American Politics ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

landsurfer wrote:Jules .... my lady.... She thinks that there will be a "Kennedy' moment, possibly not involving a grassy knoll, in the near future ....... which would be super bad from every angle ..... but Very American Politics ......

Will this grassy knoll moment be preceded by a Bay of Pigs moment? No doubt there'll be several Marilyn moments, but possibly with less willing participants.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

bovlomov wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Jules .... my lady.... She thinks that there will be a "Kennedy' moment, possibly not involving a grassy knoll, in the near future ....... which would be super bad from every angle ..... but Very American Politics ......

Will this grassy knoll moment be preceded by a Bay of Pigs moment? No doubt there'll be several Marilyn moments, but possibly with less willing participants.

Suspect there will be many Bay of Pigs moments ... too many ..... "A country elects the politicians it deserves" ... however there is serious possibility of collateral damage for the other countries of the planet with him in power .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:... I wished the so-called Leader of the Free World success in the role he's about to take up....

You have highlighted what is (for me) a significant problem with the role. To me he is not "Leader of the Free World" but "Leader of the USA". I didn't get any say in who was elected and I still (just) consider myself as living in the "Free World" (though MayBot seems to be doing her best to stop that). But I do feel it rather out-of-order/arrogant that the President of the US (and maybe some of the US electorate) regard him/her self as "Leader of the Free World".

As I don't expect that the next 4 years will go well for the US, I suppose I'm hoping that the rest of the "Free World" will stop looking to US Presidents as their un-elected "Leader".

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:..... To me he is not "Leader of the Free World" but "Leader of the USA". I didn't get any say in who was elected and I still (just) consider myself as living in the "Free World" (though MayBot seems to be doing her best to stop that). But I do feel it rather out-of-order/arrogant that the President of the US (and maybe some of the US electorate) regard him/her self as "Leader of the Free World".

As I don't expect that the next 4 years will go well for the US, I suppose I'm hoping that the rest of the "Free World" will stop looking to US Presidents as their un-elected "Leader".

Ian

Que for a song:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBRBQSXsQzw
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden