POETRY

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

POETRY

Postby landsurfer » 2 Feb 2017, 11:41pm

Sometimes i post on here ..
and i get lost in the words ..
I overthink posts .. usually not, meaning anything relevent to the post theme..
I've posted Haiku .. nobody noticed ..
Repost .. your posts as poetry ... It's a man thing !! ... (well it's a starting point femmes, )


"When i sit on the water as the dawn rises, far from the coast, alone...
Or on the high mountain ... as the cold comforts me ...
I have thought "I will always be here" ..
My presence in these places cannot be added to or removed ....
Talking of death and after
My grandson, 12, " When your time comes grandad, i will paddle out from the beach and let you go into the sea ..
and every time we swim and surf here we will be with you ...
They will be conscious of me after i am dust ....
How well does the day go .. ?"
Last edited by landsurfer on 3 Feb 2017, 12:09am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4033
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: POETRY

Postby bovlomov » 3 Feb 2017, 12:04am

landsurfer wrote:I've posted Haiku .. nobody noticed ..

I did.

Never admit to liking poems!
They'll think that you want to hear theirs.
Same with jazz.

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: POETRY

Postby landsurfer » 3 Feb 2017, 12:07am

"1972" memories stirred by Mick F ..

14 years
3 years into the "long war"
sat on the roof
watch for the flashes
bombs and rounds ..
discharged !
in the distance
on our bikes
collect the rubber bullet rounds
brass cartridges ....
Childhood


4 years later

Soldier
DPM
SLR
20 Rounds
NATO Ball
7.62
Full Metal Jacket
Home again!
Choice
No regret
Last edited by landsurfer on 3 Feb 2017, 12:53am, edited 4 times in total.
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: POETRY

Postby landsurfer » 3 Feb 2017, 12:08am

bovlomov wrote:[

Never admit to liking poems!
They'll think that you want to hear theirs.
Same with jazz.


Secretly like Jazz ....
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4033
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: POETRY

Postby bovlomov » 3 Feb 2017, 12:25am

landsurfer wrote:Secretly like Jazz ....

Shh!

They'll play smooth jazz
to soften us
then pounce
with something cacophonous.

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: POETRY

Postby landsurfer » 3 Feb 2017, 12:28am

No singing, please, no Jazz singing .... instrumental ... jazz instrumental .....
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

reohn2
Posts: 36324
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: POETRY

Postby reohn2 » 3 Feb 2017, 12:34am

I sometime post poetry,
it isn't always long.

Well not as long,
as many a Jazz song.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: POETRY

Postby landsurfer » 3 Feb 2017, 12:38am

reohn2 wrote:I sometime post poetry,
it isn't always long.

Well not as long,
as many a Jazz song.


Welcome to the fold ......
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

mercalia
Posts: 11499
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: POETRY

Postby mercalia » 3 Feb 2017, 12:47am

there was a young lady from Belfast
.....

landsurfer
Posts: 4993
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: POETRY

Postby landsurfer » 3 Feb 2017, 12:52am

mercalia wrote:there was a young lady from Belfast
.....


LOL ..all welcome ....
It's just like that, it's just the way it is.
The road goes on forever.

francovendee
Posts: 984
Joined: 5 May 2009, 6:32am

Re: POETRY

Postby francovendee » 3 Feb 2017, 8:37am

As a child I hated poetry and it wasn't until I accidently heard the Radio 4 programme 'Poetry Please' that my view changed.
I've now heard some very interesting pieces. Some very sad and some quite funny but always something new. The ability to write good poetry is not within everyone though and at times I've turned the programme off!
By good I mean something that pleases me and not necessarily others.

rjb
Posts: 3457
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: POETRY

Postby rjb » 3 Feb 2017, 8:39am

I'm a poet
And I didn't know it
So take a hike
And get on your bike!

:lol:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: POETRY

Postby meic » 3 Feb 2017, 9:32am

Poetry is only OK if it doesnt come presented as poetry.

As soon as somebody creates the situation of having to "sit and listen" to poetry it is destroyed.
School English Literature studies ensured that I would hate anything under the heading poetry for the next forty-five years at least.

I can quite enjoy that Barnsley poet Ian McMillan in the background on the radio because he is interesting and skillful and doesnt make you feel like you are listening to poetry.
Benjamin Zephaniah is quite listenable to because he blends a message with speech that is musical.

Which then gets us to the poetry which is very enjoyable, emotive and thoroughly listenable to, the lyrics of millions of songs out there.
Though they could be totally destroyed by somebody making you sit down and dissect them for analysis, which will be checked for alignment with the official interpretation, with thirty other bored people.
Thank God my school music lessons never got past sitting in a room and hitting a triangle whenever the teacher glared at me. :lol:
Yma o Hyd

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7782
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: POETRY

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Feb 2017, 10:28am

As far as poetry is concerned I am a philistine. The only poets that do anything for me are John Betjeman and WH Auden.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

reohn2
Posts: 36324
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: POETRY

Postby reohn2 » 3 Feb 2017, 10:32am

meic wrote:Poetry is only OK if it doesnt come presented as poetry.

As soon as somebody creates the situation of having to "sit and listen" to poetry it is destroyed.
School English Literature studies ensured that I would hate anything under the heading poetry for the next forty-five years at least.

I can quite enjoy that Barnsley poet Ian McMillan in the background on the radio because he is interesting and skillful and doesnt make you feel like you are listening to poetry.
Benjamin Zephaniah is quite listenable to because he blends a message with speech that is musical.

Which then gets us to the poetry which is very enjoyable, emotive and thoroughly listenable to, the lyrics of millions of songs out there.
Though they could be totally destroyed by somebody making you sit down and dissect them for analysis, which will be checked for alignment with the official interpretation, with thirty other bored people.
Thank God my school music lessons never got past sitting in a room and hitting a triangle whenever the teacher glared at me. :lol:

That doesn't rhyme :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.