Route Britannia by Steven Primrose-Smith

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Heltor Chasca

Route Britannia by Steven Primrose-Smith

Postby Heltor Chasca » 3 Feb 2017, 9:20pm

Another bikey-type-book by our fellow forumite Steven Primrose-Smith. I've just ordered this after reading all his other humorous, originally written books. Can't wait to get reading.

"Route Britannia, the Journey South: A Spontaneous Bicycle Ride through Every County in Britain"

http://greatdestinationsradioshow.com/2 ... e-britain/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Route-Britanni ... +britannia
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 3 Feb 2017, 9:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweep

Re: Route Britannia by Steven Primrose-Smith

Postby Sweep » 11 Feb 2017, 6:52am

Yes, good, though he hasn't yet topped his first book.

"No place like home. ......

Was a bit disappointed that the trip has been split into two books.

Recommended, in a genre that to be blunt can be disappointing, downright awful.

Not everyone can write. Mr Primrose very definitely can, frequently makes you laugh out loud with a turn of phrase/insight, and, very important these days, is not afraid to be a tad politically incorrect now and again, though he also seems to be a thoroughly decent chap.
Sweep

Si

Postby Si » 11 Feb 2017, 2:10pm

I read the one about touring on a £1 a day. I was expecting to hate it as I'd just finished emily chappell's book. She has a very refined writing style, sophisticated and a pleasure to read. Whereas, in comparison, Steve's style is a bit more laddish...for want of a better term. However, once I'd adjusted i loved the book....I'd recomend it, and will be looking forward to trying this one.

I think that the greatest truism of the book is that on any group cycle tour there will always be a 'Dave'.....if you dont find a 'Dave' on your tour then its probably you!

smith4188

Postby smith4188 » 4 Mar 2017, 12:40am

Thanks for the mention. If you want Route Britannia for less than the cost of a pie, it's available this week only for just 99p on Amazon.

In other news, I have an embryonic idea. Anyone done any biking/packrafting?
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 4 Mar 2017, 8:30am

smith4188 wrote:Thanks for the mention. If you want Route Britannia for less than the cost of a pie, it's available this week only for just 99p on Amazon.

In other news, I have an embryonic idea. Anyone done any biking/packrafting?

No surprises there. It's a great book.

Packrafting sounds intriguing. I'm afraid I've only done the two as separate disciplines. The mighty Zambezi twice. Keep us posted.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 5 Mar 2017, 9:45am

smith4188 wrote:Thanks for the mention. If you want Route Britannia for less than the cost of a pie, it's available this week only for just 99p on Amazon.

And a pie can indeed cost a lot - just ask Wayne Shaw :lol:

A good book though. Anyone know when the second volume is being published.