Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Tavistock library is closed on a Wednesday.
Why?
https://www.devonlibraries.org.uk/web/a ... ocklibrary

The one near here in Callington is at the Comp school and closed on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Why?
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/leisure-and ... n-library/

Could be shortage of staff(due to cut backs) maybe some of which are voluntary and paid staff may work Saturdas or are sent to other libraries in other towns on Wednesday or Mondays.
In any case what does it matter to you,I thought you were of the opinion that they could all be closed down as you don't use them.

EDITED to add the last sentence.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Dec 2018, 11:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Small libraries have a handful of part-time staff, they might do training when the library is closed, I do find complicated opening times annoying mind :?

Driving a library bus in a rural area could be a dream job, just right for you Mick F? :wink:

For homeless or lonely people libraries can be very attractive places to spend time (better than Spoons!) and there should be no need to have EITHER libraries or social help, there is enough money for both
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No matter to me if they're open or closed, but it matters to other folk no doubt. I was just making the point.

I used to drive the Community Bus - retired from it earlier this year after twelve years. May do it again in the future.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:With my local library, I choose a book online and for a small fee, it is delivered to my local library for me to collect. In escennce, to me, the building is nothing more than a collection point. I never browse the shelves. Perhaps how we think of a library needs to change. I don't see why numerous existing buildings couldn't serve this purpose.

Libraries are much more than books,internet cafe,childrens book learning clubs,and many other things,my SinL before they couldn't afford to keep him on there after 23years,sed to do CV clubs for people,help people who English wasn't their first language,you could also rent out films on DVD,and music CDs,they provided the daily papers,and a small coffee shop and lounge area where people could meet,upstairs is an art gallery,and meeting room.

I think we're actually agreeing. Make it far more than just a place about rows of books. I'm sure a lot of that could be done in many community centres or other existing buildings without a sign saying library on the front.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:With my local library, I choose a book online and for a small fee, it is delivered to my local library for me to collect. In escennce, to me, the building is nothing more than a collection point. I never browse the shelves. Perhaps how we think of a library needs to change. I don't see why numerous existing buildings couldn't serve this purpose.

Libraries are much more than books,internet cafe,childrens book learning clubs,and many other things,my SinL before they couldn't afford to keep him on there after 23years,sed to do CV clubs for people,help people who English wasn't their first language,you could also rent out films on DVD,and music CDs,they provided the daily papers,and a small coffee shop and lounge area where people could meet,upstairs is an art gallery,and meeting room.

I think we're actually agreeing. Make it far more than just a place about rows of books. I'm sure a lot of that could be done in many community centres or other existing buildings without a sign saying library on the front.

What I'm saying is that libraries have morphed and widened there services,this government through their austerity program have limited that service.
Not all towns villages and cities have community centres or libraries for that matter but before the their curtailment libraries where doing a fine job in the community,now it's the poorer end of the community that suffer as a result of the government's cuts
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Sadly it's not just the poorer end of the community that's suffering.
We used to have a mobile library (big van) that came to the village once a week.
Since they closed the original library (that had the garage to house the van :roll: ) it's gone.
So, rich and poor don't have the option, especially if they don't / can't / won't drive / get the bus, to town.

f/a/u/s/t/o :lol:

Sorry, just being silly as I've just noticed it's my tenth anniversary of joining this site.
Thanks for suffering me folks. :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fausto
I quite agree the old and infirm suffer as well.
Did a Tory government ever care about them?
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used to be a bookseller, now I work in a factory making bookshelves, the factory is so big that bicycles are provided to get around, Plus One!
Un-fortunately I fly a desk in the office :wink:
The library in town closes 13oo Saturdays, it is busy right up to then, many people would like to stay longer

I think larger towns still often have comprehensive central libraries, it is in suburbs and small towns that provision has been reduced, the little libraries often have complicated opening hours, Monday 10-12,Tuesday 16-18, Saturday closed
Many university and institute libraries may be used by outsiders too
The Grauniad keeps reporting that so many libraries have closed, but how many have opened? Does the Newspaper We Dare Not Read report on libraries?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

It seems I must stand /sit corrected, as last week when driving into town, we spotted a mobile library van.
It wasn't as big as the old one that used to visit our village and don't know where it was headed.
Must investigate; watch this space. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:It seems I must stand /sit corrected, as last week when driving into town, we spotted a mobile library van.
It wasn't as big as the old one that used to visit our village and don't know where it was headed.
Must investigate; watch this space. :wink:

Any news Fausto? Could be quite a nice job, driving a library bus :wink:

Havnae been to the library for a while but I like to know it is there, like the railway and the church
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

No, I haven't seen the mobile 'van around since.
However, I have used the new library and I can even manage the self-service system :shock:
I wish the ones in T*sc* and M*rris*ns were as easy.

Next time I'm in (and if I can find any staff :lol: ) I'll ask where the mobile 'van goes and if they are looking out for drivers.
How far are you willing to travel?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

fausto copy wrote:No, I haven't seen the mobile 'van around since.
However, I have used the new library and I can even manage the self-service system :shock:
I wish the ones in T*sc* and M*rris*ns were as easy.

Next time I'm in (and if I can find any staff :lol: ) I'll ask where the mobile 'van goes and if they are looking out for drivers.
How far are you willing to travel?

If it's anything like my library the staff will be behind the counter having a chat while people are queuing up at the self service machines. They are all very nice though when I interrupt them because I hate queuing.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ebooks is the way to go. dont need buildings or staff. no fines as they auto timeout. most people have a smartphone these days and reading on a 5" one is fine. Trouble is that there is no standard that libraries use so Westminster dont use the same access to books as eg Lambeth in London
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mercalia wrote:ebooks is the way to go. dont need buildings or staff. no fines as they auto timeout. most people have a smartphone these days and reading on a 5" one is fine. Trouble is that there is no standard that libraries use so Westminster dont use the same access to books as eg Lambeth in London

Libraries e-books are a different, format? [can't think of the right word] to my old Kindle so unusable for me. I don't know why they do that. Is it Amazon creating the problem or the library?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Amazon. What I was referring to was different apps/access software, access methods