Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The central libraries in Manchester, Birmingham and elsewhere were great temples of culture, I used to use them.

As I got older I bought more books and used libraries less. I get a lot of info on the www and sniff out second-hand books to buy, I love finding an unexpected surprising book that was looking for me.

The Grauniad reports that library use has declined but library websites are very popular. Use by minorities and disabled people is higher than average.

One time I still visit a library without joining - on holiday or in a new place, to find out what is going on.

Should libraries be allowed to decline further?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 9 Dec 2018, 10:59am, edited 4 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Re: Public libraries, decline of

Post by francovendee »

They shouldn't but they will, partly because councils are looking to save money.
Amazingly a lot of libraries were started when we were a much poorer nation. Somehow money was found to erect often very beautiful buildings.
Progress! :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

francovendee wrote:They shouldn't but they will, partly because councils are looking to save money.
Amazingly a lot of libraries were started when we were a much poorer nation. Somehow money was found to erect often very beautiful buildings.
Progress! :roll:

Many were founded by capitalists, for example Andrew Carnegie
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Argyll and Bute council have removed all the mobile libraries bar one on Islay which is the least used in the council area. Usual A&B logic.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Personally, I think that they should close them all and the councils could spend more money on other stuff. Stuff that the people use, rather than a small minority.
It is probably 40years or more since I went into a library.

However, I do understand that they serve a purpose, even if I have no use for them.
Mick F. Cornwall
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I still use my local library but I'm often the only customer in the place.

Over the years it struck me that as usage declined and the number of new books available became fewer each year the number of staff on duty increased, and about ten years ago part of the floor area was partitioned off for a manager's office.

If staffing increases I suppose an on-site manager is required to manage them.

If staffing returned to the levels I can remember from the 1970s I'm sure more libraries could stay open and afford more books.

The quality of staff seems to have declined too. Often the only sound to be heard in the library is two or three staff chatting and laughing as they stand around with little to do.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

On reflecting (before responding) I was wondering what purpose Libraries are meant to serve and what purpose they actually serve. I had a Google and not a lot readily comes-up.

Are they all about lending books (from buildings or vans). Or providing free internet access (through WiFi and/or computers for public use). Or a social function, etc.

I assume they they serve a broader purpose than lending books and chasing overdue loans - but then could not readily identify what those additional purposes might be.

Seems we need to know what they are obliged to do and what they actually do in practice before being able to question their funding or alternatives. Certainly there would be far more efficient means if it's just about lending books - more centralised, big warehouse, with books being delivered/returned by post, etc. - not suggesting that is what we should be doing, just is that all they are intended to do?

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

blackbike wrote:I still use my local library but I'm often the only customer in the place.

Over the years it struck me that as usage declined and the number of new books available became fewer each year the number of staff on duty increased, and about ten years ago part of the floor area was partitioned off for a manager's office.

If staffing increases I suppose an on-site manager is required to manage them.

If staffing returned to the levels I can remember from the 1970s I'm sure more libraries could stay open and afford more books.

The quality of staff seems to have declined too. Often the only sound to be heard in the library is two or three staff chatting and laughing as they stand around with little to do.

In Penmaenmawr library the single staff member has no one to chat to. Being there is a bit like travelling in a Rolls where the loudest sound is the ticking of the clock. In the llyfrgell cyhoeddus the loudest sound is the clicking of the mice.

I rather liked the silence of libraries back then
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It opened many years ago and cost millions but I have never been there.
Torbay Paignton library.
I struggled to find a meaningful link at all, plenty photos but maybe I missed something :?
Over 6 mil
http://www.torbay.gov.uk/libraries/find ... ary/plaic/
Attachments
2017-02-04_114744.jpg
78760218_a.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Si

Post by Si »

Attacks on public libraries have always coincided with the rise of fascism. :lol:

My local libraries are a wonderful resource. Apart from all the books that id never be able to afford myself they offer lots of community services: kids reading groups, police surgeries, community info, historical records,computers fornthose who dont have them at home, etc etc.

Of course, thats not to say that they couldnt be improved and offer more services to make them more cost effective.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Si wrote:Attacks on public libraries have always coincided with the rise of fascism. :lol:

My local libraries are a wonderful resource. Apart from all the books that id never be able to afford myself they offer lots of community services: kids reading groups, police surgeries, community info, historical records,computers fornthose who dont have them at home, etc etc.

Of course, thats not to say that they couldnt be improved and offer more services to make them more cost effective.

Our central library is a "Discovery Centre, and whilst it does all the standard functions it also holds talks, workshops, shanty evenings, try before you buy computer sessions, and all sorts of local history exhibition

Next month includes a talk by the Military Adviser on Steven Spielberg's War Horse. and how historical accuracy was maintained,
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

About two years ago I attended a meeting at my library which was about how to increase usage.

I suggested fewer opening hours during the day, more in the evenings, and Sunday opening. I said this would mean the library would be open during more hours when people were not at work or school.

We were told that the council's staff would be unlikely to agree to such an approach.

Adapt or die.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

blackbike wrote:About two years ago I attended a meeting at my library which was about how to increase usage.

I suggested fewer opening hours during the day, more in the evenings, and Sunday opening. I said this would mean the library would be open during more hours when people were not at work or school.

We were told that the council's staff would be unlikely to agree to such an approach.

Adapt or die.

Maybe what they really meant was they didn't want to pay time and a half and double time for weekend working.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Personally, I think that they should close them all and the councils could spend more money on other stuff. Stuff that the people use, rather than a small minority.
It is probably 40years or more since I went into a library.

However, I do understand that they serve a purpose, even if I have no use for them.

well might make dealing with benefits difficult for those who dont have internet at home ( I think there are still lots? ) Isnt it all now online? making claims etc.

I only ever went into my local library to borrow cds and audio books
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Surely it's not hard to find a reason for this decline! One of them - which also accounts for some decline in high street bookshops - well, let's just say it begins with an A, ends with an N, and has a Z in it somewhere... :lol:

But the internet in general is another factor. Just about any book which is out of copyright (that means, in the UK, that the author must have been dead for 70 years), can be downloaded for free via online literature sites such as Gutenberg. So all the great literary classics are available to us all with a few clicks of the mouse. So much easier than hunting your way up and down rows and rows of musty shelves! Or rummaging through the card-index (as I can still remember doing). And even then not finding the book you're after, because some sloppy librarian has shelved it in the wrong section.

I used to like libraries. I wish I could say the same now - it's a great shame they're in decline.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).