Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Post by Cyril Haearn »

SimonCelsa wrote:Libraries are ace, don't shut them. Just my deeply intellectual opinion on the current thread.

This opinion may be derived from an element of frugality, however it is also that I don't like wastefulness. If I'd have bought all the kids books, DIY repair books, holiday idea books etc etc then my house would be even more full of 'trash' than it already is.

Having said that, out of myself, the wife & four kids I think it is only me who actually visits frequently.....the wife/youths/young adults only go to please their Victorian Dad & a lot less so now that their childhood joie de vivre is morphing into teenage angst.

But I still think they should remain open. I can remember quite well the library in Erith, Kent as a kid (so it must have been fairly impressive) & my current local one in Inverness is equally inspiring. Long may they survive,

All the best, Simon

I was in Inverness in 2005, visited a bookshop in an old church, is it still there?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Re: Public libraries, decline of

Post by Cyril Haearn »

meic wrote:The military dont have sole rights on the expression.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... /frontline

The front line people we should admire are those at the benefits offices who sit behind bulletproof glass and have to explain to claimants why they will not be given money to feed their children
hondated

Post by hondated »

reohn2 wrote:Our local Library offers:-
Book lending
CD,DVD lending.
Newspapers and some magazines
Short courses on simple PC use,
PC use
Children's clubs,reading,origami,painting and drawing
Clubs for people whose first language isn't English.
A lounge area for users
There is an art gallery where local artists display,and other local history exhibitions.
A room where talks are give on a wide range of subjects.
I also provides help with formulating CV's
It also helps people connect with other local services via personal advice and noticeboards.
There are other services it provide but that's all I can think of OTTOMH

It's open 9am to 50pm except Thursday when it's open to 7pm,and Saturday when is closes at 4pm.

It's becoming a shadow of it's former self due to cutbacks

I despair when I read of people complaining that because I don't use it it shouldn't be their,because I have a PC I don't need theirs,or I don't read much so I don't need to borrow books,I don't have children so don't need a children's club,I can buy a magazine or a newspaper if I want one,etc,etc...
There's a lot of I and not many us in that kind of society.

As for those who complain about Libraries not being open 24/7,they'll open a lot less hours and fewer days if the current cutbacks continue.
I have to confess a vested interest in the Library service as my SinL was a librarian for 23 years and has seen it go from being adequately funded(no more)to grossly underfunded and who lost his job last year due to funding cutbacks.
When he did work in the Library service he was salaried as all library staff are,he worked 371/2 hours,which were 5 days from any of the six the Library was open,with no extra for Saturdays.

We've quickly become a man-mind-thyself society IMO where if you can afford it you can have it but if you can't you won't get sniff.
How soon before it becomes:-
"well I'm young and healthy so why should I pay for the NHS some those sick and old people can benefit"
"I don't have children so why should I pay for the schools"
"why should I pay for those scroungers on the dole"
I'm alright Jack,so the rest can go to hell...... .......until...

Frankly I'm sickened by the selfishness of some posters on this thread.

Well said John Ted
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mick F wrote:Nationally, we spend too much money on things, and not enough on other things.
Libraries for one.

Plus .............
Health centres and hospitals
Police
Street cleaning
Road repairs
Railways

The list is endless.
Trident?
I've always been against it even though I spent 27years in the RN.

Until the dosh gets spent on PEOPLE, no-one will be happy.

My point about libraries, is that there's hardly enough money for people. We used to have a street cleaner in the village, then he became a street cleaner for the whole parish, then his job went completely.

............. or get rid of Trident, and build a few new hospitals and have all the libraries properly funded.

I'd rather them close our local libraries and fund a street cleaner
With respect that is living in cloud cuckoo land, as they are all about cutting jobs not redistributing them.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Cloud Cuckoo Land. :wink:

Wouldn't it be great if we could spend the money on what The People wanted it spent on?
What we need is a good fair electoral system.

Cloud Cuckoo Land.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I was in Inverness in 2005, visited a bookshop in an old church, is it still there?

Yes Cyril Haearn, it was still there when I was last in town in January of this year anyway.

I think you mean this one: http://forreadingaddicts.co.uk/bookshop ... -inverness

He seems to be keeping the business afloat somehow. Nice musty bookshop smell somewhat overcome at times with the aromas of pungent broths,

All the best, Simon
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that Lancashire plans to r e o p e n 14 libraries that were closed a while ago

One wonders whether all the buildings are still available

Money will be used to recruit staff and buy books, maybe the old staff and the old books? Could be a chance mind, to employ new staff for lower wages and *update* the book stock?

How does Yorkshire compare with Lancashire on this?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad reports that Lancashire plans to r e o p e n 14 libraries that were closed a while ago

One wonders whether all the buildings are still available

Money will be used to recruit staff and buy books, maybe the old staff and the old books? Could be a chance mind, to employ new staff for lower wages and *update* the book stock?

How does Yorkshire compare with Lancashire on this?

Well it's a start now money will need to be found to recruit staff restock and get the libraries reopening up to working standard.
Wouldn't it have been better if central government hadn't cut the funding in the first place and kept them open,that way money would've been saved,and a service continued.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How does Yorkshire compare with Lancashire on this?

Can't say how 'Yorkshire' compares with Lancashire because Yorkshire has at least 8 local authorities I can think of (and none of those are in South Yorkshire) and there is, for instance, no administrative 'West Yorkshire' it is made up of the councils of Bradford, Leeds, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield.

However in North Yorkshire County Council they halved the budget and AFAIK they've closed very few libraries, because a significant amount are run by community groups and volunteers. Last I heard they had 1,200 volunteers on their books. I'm not saying I think it's right - but at least the libraries have been retained.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
It opened many years ago and cost millions but I have never been there.
Torbay Paignton library.
I struggled to find a meaningful link at all, plenty photos but maybe I missed something :?
Over 6 mil
http://www.torbay.gov.uk/libraries/find ... ary/plaic/

Why have you not been there? Please go when you get the chance and tell us about it, thanks very much.

Hi,
I will soon, been thinking about it over weekend.

Hello NA
have you been there yet,? Please report!
Diolch yn fawr iawn
Cyril Haearn

Re: Libraries, public, decline of:

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:The correct thread title for indexing should surely be "Libraries, public, decline of:" :wink:
Well spotted.
It's astounding to discover how many book titles begin with "The...". No wonder the less-experienced librarians used to be flummoxed.

One of my favourite indexing rules:
Nothing before something
I guess *The* is ignored
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:How does Yorkshire compare with Lancashire on this?

Can't say how 'Yorkshire' compares with Lancashire because Yorkshire has at least 8 local authorities I can think of (and none of those are in South Yorkshire) and there is, for instance, no administrative 'West Yorkshire' it is made up of the councils of Bradford, Leeds, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield.

However in North Yorkshire County Council they halved the budget and AFAIK they've closed very few libraries, because a significant amount are run by community groups and volunteers. Last I heard they had 1,200 volunteers on their books. I'm not saying I think it's right - but at least the libraries have been retained.

In Hawes (one of the highest market towns) the library is run by volunteers
The post office is run by volunteers
"The big society"?
And where is the next train station?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
In Hawes (one of the highest market towns) the library is run by volunteers
The post office is run by volunteers
"The big society"?
And where is the next train station?

Dent or Ribblehead both about 10 miles.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Outside Cosham Library has been the meet up point for Portsmouth CTC & Audax Club Portsmouth for more than a decade.

If it closes where will we meet?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Oh crikes..........has it been that long :oops:

Must make a point about looking in..................almost walked past it yesterday :?

Will tell er indoors and she will probably remember to remind me................ :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.