Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby reohn2 » 24 Sep 2018, 5:47pm

Mick Fairhurst,writer who wishes all libraries to close,bit of a paradox there Mick..........
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby brynpoeth » 8 Dec 2018, 10:20am

The Guardian reports that more than 100 libraries closed last year in the UK

I am glad I could use the great central libraries years ago

Manchester central library still has 1.5 m readers (users, customers, visitors, patrons, partners?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

User avatar
fausto copy
Posts: 2324
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 6:51pm
Location: Pembrokeshire

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby fausto copy » 8 Dec 2018, 10:58am

Our new 3.5 million pounds library opened yesterday.
Quite posh, although architecturally disappointing (it was converted from the old/new market.
Great area for the kids including a climbing frame/castle/shop thingy.
Lots of little alcoves to cwtch up in, which some teenagers seem to have adopted already. :wink:
Had some good new books in; certainly improve the photography section.
Gallery section (currently showing Kyffin Williams works) and a cafe too.

However. looked a bit baffling to me as it appeared to have self-service scanning to book books out . :?
I can't manage them in supermarkets so will have to try and find a nice friendly attendant to help this old geezer.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby brynpoeth » 8 Dec 2018, 3:26pm

Llyfgell cyhoeddus newydd, da iawn!
A new public library, very good!

Wales leads the way again, should I change the thread title? ('decline')

Plus One for libraries that are more than just lots of books, with events, readings, lots for children

I do rather like the old library rules mind, No Talking!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45261
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby Mick F » 9 Dec 2018, 8:52am

fausto copy wrote:Our new 3.5 million pounds library opened yesterday.
I hope you're happy with it, but I think three million quid would be better spent on people in need. The homeless sleeping on the streets for instance.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby reohn2 » 9 Dec 2018, 10:40am

Mick F wrote:
fausto copy wrote:Our new 3.5 million pounds library opened yesterday.
I hope you're happy with it, but I think three million quid would be better spent on people in need. The homeless sleeping on the streets for instance.

Whilst I agree in principal,why does it have to be either or in the fifth richest country in the world?
Homeless numbers have ballooned under this government's time in office,and libraries have been closed down all over the country due to the present government's failed austerity plan and slashing of local government funding.
I'd say in the present climate the building of a new library is more than a little unusual.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Dec 2018, 10:56am

It is a bit more than a library, more like a spaceship :wink:
Building it made lots of work, cost a lot, hope running and maintaing it is funded too :?

Hope plenty of books in Welsh and German are available. What are the rules about Welsh books? 50/50 would not be possible because many more English books are published
Mind, a lot of books are published in Welsh, a bookseller told me he could not stock them all

Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5023
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby Sweep » 9 Dec 2018, 11:13am

brynpoeth wrote:The Guardian reports that more than 100 libraries closed last year in the UK

I am glad I could use the great central libraries years ago

Manchester central library still has 1.5 m readers (users, customers, visitors, patrons, partners?)



Manchester Central library is a wonder. I would recommend that all visitors to that great city pop their head in.

Bookish lot in Manchester.

Also well worth a visit: Chetham's library near Victoria station - you can sit at the desk where Engels and Marx sat looking out the window putting the world to rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetham%27s_Library

You need to get a free pass at the security gate so that you can walk through part of the old school. Slightly odd opening hours - do check.

Also the gothic wonder of John Rylands library.

https://500px.com/photo/34570162/john-r ... s-rowlands

Quality toilets as well.
Sweep

reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby reohn2 » 9 Dec 2018, 11:17am

Sweep wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:The Guardian reports that more than 100 libraries closed last year in the UK

I am glad I could use the great central libraries years ago

Manchester central library still has 1.5 m readers (users, customers, visitors, patrons, partners?)



Manchester Central library is a wonder. I would recommend that all visitors to that great city pop their head in.

Bookish lot in Manchester.

Also well worth a visit: Chetham's library near Victoria station - you can sit at the desk where Engels and Marx sat looking out the window putting the world to rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetham%27s_Library

You need to get a free pass at the security gate so that you can walk through part of the old school. Slightly odd opening hours - do check.

Also the gothic wonder of John Rylands library.

https://500px.com/photo/34570162/john-r ... s-rowlands

Quality toilets as well.

Though according to some people they're a 'luxury' we can all do without :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 5023
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Postby Sweep » 9 Dec 2018, 11:25am

Not arguing with you.

There are a fair few folk around with no sense of history, true knowledge or society at large.
Sweep

reohn2
Posts: 34274
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Postby reohn2 » 9 Dec 2018, 11:31am

Sweep wrote:Not arguing with you.

There are a fair few folk around with no sense of history, true knowledge or society at large.

I'll second that! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Dec 2018, 11:33am

Plusminus?

That dreadful capitalist Carnegie funded many libraries for ordinary people :wink:
..
It is one thing that Manchester has a grand central library, it is a bit like a temple, church, museum, but what are the libraries in the suburbs like?
..
Changed the thread title: 'renaissance' not 'decline'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Libraries, public, decline of: DDC 020.336

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Dec 2018, 11:38am

Mick F wrote:
fausto copy wrote:Our new 3.5 million pounds library opened yesterday.
I hope you're happy with it, but I think three million quid would be better spent on people in need. The homeless sleeping on the streets for instance.

Homeless people could spend the daytime in libraries, learn, meet people, eat and drink

Many now call themselves art/community/culture centre or the like
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

User avatar
bigjim
Posts: 3020
Joined: 2 Feb 2008, 5:08pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Postby bigjim » 9 Dec 2018, 3:13pm

brynpoeth wrote:Plusminus?

That dreadful capitalist Carnegie funded many libraries for ordinary people :wink:
..
It is one thing that Manchester has a grand central library, it is a bit like a temple, church, museum, but what are the libraries in the suburbs like?
..
Changed the thread title: 'renaissance' not 'decline'

There used to be some wonderful libraries in my childhood Manchester. Beautiful buildings with big, warm welcoming radiators. Cheetham Hill had a lovely building and library, also one in a Manor house in Mandley Park. Rochdales's was fantastic. Bury's still is. Many others have been relocated to smaller more economic modern buildings. I'm a regular user. Love my hardback, large print books. My youngest grandchildren go twice a week for sing songs and a look at the nursery books. All three less than two years old. They love it!
Nothing left to prove.

brynpoeth
Posts: 9799
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Libraries, public, renaissance of: DDC 020.336

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Dec 2018, 6:33pm

Positive thread alert, Plus One

I love to see children gambolling in the library, in my library there are regular story telling sessions for children, grownups may join in too, I do :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott