Julian Assange? Who's that?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Julian Assange? Who's that?

Postby Tangled Metal » 5 Jun 2019, 10:32pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
I personally don't see much commonality there but each to their own opinions (often according to what your views are of the recipient of JA's attentions).

I'm not entirely clear who you mean here, I guess you are talking about the Swedish women. Of course he should face trial over those allegations. I have no view of the women.
If you are referring to the USA government, I do dislike their vindictive justice system, and the even more vindictive President. Manning has been treated badly.

Keep on doing what you're doing with selective quoting and deliberately trying to misunderstand what I post. I'll cross the bridge and move on to things more interesting.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 5 Jun 2019, 10:38pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Keep on doing what you're doing with selective quoting and deliberately trying to misunderstand what I post. I'll cross the bridge and move on to things more interesting.

I think that is unfair. I tried to deal with both of your possible meanings, as far as I could see. Who did you mean by the recipients of Assange's attentions? I am at a loss, not deliberately misunderstanding.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Jun 2019, 11:11am

Seems the egregious Mr Assange is off to America after all.

I have to speculate: why not Sweden? Isn't (alleged) rape as serious a crime as (alleged) espionage?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 13 Jun 2019, 4:49pm

661-Pete wrote:Seems the egregious Mr Assange is off to America after all.

I have to speculate: why not Sweden? Isn't (alleged) rape as serious a crime as (alleged) espionage?

A Swedish court threw it out.
John

Cycling and recycling

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Jun 2019, 8:37pm

Oldjohnw wrote: ... A Swedish court threw it out.

Are you sure that's right? I thought a Swedish public prosecutor had unsuccessfully applied for some sort of arrest warrant which would have enabled the issue of a European arrest warrant which would have facilitated a streamlined transfer to Sweden. In the meantime, the US authorities are at the top of the queue. Assuming axtradition to the USA is authorised, then I don't know if the rest of his sentence for failing to surrender to bail has to be served before deportation, whether it can be remitted. My impression is that his only hope of avoiding deportation to the USA is a GE before he goes and a Labour Home Secretary finds a way to order a cancellation.. It looks like a slim hope. If the predictions are right, the years lost in the Ecuadorean embassy will seem like a walk in the park.

The uncertain future must be crushing.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 14 Jun 2019, 12:55am

thirdcrank wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote: ... A Swedish court threw it out.

Are you sure that's right? I thought a Swedish public prosecutor had unsuccessfully applied for some sort of arrest warrant which would have enabled the issue of a European arrest warrant which would have facilitated a streamlined transfer to Sweden. In the meantime, the US authorities are at the top of the queue. Assuming axtradition to the USA is authorised, then I don't know if the rest of his sentence for failing to surrender to bail has to be served before deportation, whether it can be remitted. My impression is that his only hope of avoiding deportation to the USA is a GE before he goes and a Labour Home Secretary finds a way to order a cancellation.. It looks like a slim hope. If the predictions are right, the years lost in the Ecuadorean embassy will seem like a walk in the park.

The uncertain future must be crushing.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/jun/03/swedish-court-rejects-request-to-detain-julian-assange?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
John

Cycling and recycling

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Jun 2019, 6:00am

... At the Swedish court on Monday, a judgment was read out saying that since Assange was already in a British prison he did not need to be formally detained to be questioned by Swedish prosecutors.

“As Julian Assange is currently serving a prison sentence, the investigation can proceed with the help of a European investigation order, which does not require Julian Assange’s detention (in Sweden). The court therefore does not find it proportional to detain Julian Assange,” the judgment said.

Assange’s Swedish defence lawyer, Per Samuelson, argued that Assange’s imprisonment in Britain meant there was no flight risk. “He is in prison for half a year at least, and he is detained on behalf of the United States. So there is no point detaining him in Sweden too,” Samuelson said.

Responding to the ruling, the Swedish prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson said: “The investigation continues with interviews in Sweden. I will also issue a European investigation order in order to interview Julian Assange. No date has been set yet. We will constantly review the state of the investigation.”

On reflection about the process for extradition to the USA, there are plenty of avenues for appeals. I presume the Home Secretary's decision is amenable to judicial review. Assuming the Chief Magistrate approves extradition, I presume that can be the subject of an appeal right up to the European Court of Human Rights, always assuming we haven't opted out in the meantime. Stringing it out could well mean that the Swedish investigation is ended by that country's statute of limitations.

You never know but it's hard to see him getting bail again. And the public interest here seems minimal.