Battle Mountain-Graeme Obree's Story

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Battle Mountain-Graeme Obree's Story

Post by PH »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... rees-story

This is currently on Iplayer, but only for a few weeks, not sure where or when it was on the TV, maybe only in Scotland. I think this has been edited for TV, it seems a lot shorter than the full film.
I saw this last year at a small cinema, followed by a Q&A with the most entertaining Graeme, I'll make time to watch it again.
It's all about the man, open and honest, funny, entertaining and sometimes sad. I watch it as someone interested in cycling, but I don't think you need that interest to enjoy it. I was hoping it would get a wider release, I know several non cyclists who would enjoy it.
Apart from the story, the cinematography is superb, if you're not hooked in the first few seconds you have no soul :wink:
if you've got an hour on this coldest of weekends, give it a watch and lets hear what you think.
boblo

Re: Battle Mountain-Graeme Obree's Story

Post by boblo »

That link doesn't work.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That link works
PH

Post by PH »

boblo wrote:That link doesn't work.

Worked for me, but if not for you here it is in full, join these together and copy to your browser
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08c70vf/
battle-mountain-graeme-obrees-story
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A couple of weeks ago we had a thread about a film about cycling.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=111982

That film put a lot of emphasis on the technology which was developed in conjunction with Chris Boardman's Olympic Gold, World Hour Record etc. Unless I missed it, there was nothing about either the neck-and-neck rivalry between CB and GO, or the latter's own technology developed in his garden shed.
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote:Unless I missed it, there was nothing about either the neck-and-neck rivalry between CB and GO, or the latter's own technology developed in his garden shed.

I think that ought to be a film in itself, though it probably wouldn't show CB in the light he's now seen in. He has in this film and elsewhere gone some way to apologising for the past.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just looking for our copy of GO movie Flying Scotsman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flyin ... (2006_film)
Can't find it.

Maybe I sold it or gave it away.
Watched it a couple of times.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PH wrote: ... I think that ought to be a film in itself, though it probably wouldn't show CB in the light he's now seen in. He has in this film and elsewhere gone some way to apologising for the past.

I'm forever conscious of the length of my posts but when I keep them short, the wrong end of the stick is too prominent. I intended no criticism of Chris Boardman nor indeed of Mike Burroughs and the others involved. On the contrary, I was merely praising GO, while having another dig at the people who made the film discussed in the other thread. Without returning to check what I said on there, I mentioned omissions, giving the example of short clips of Beryl Burton being used only to dismiss time trialling. I assume that both omissions (IMO glaring omissions) were caused by ignorance (Sheer ignorance?) rather than a rational decision about their contribution to cycling.

I'm happy to recognise CB's achievements as a competitor at the highest level both on track and road, technical advisor, a thoughtful commentator/pundit who isn't forever harping on about "his day" and as just about the most effective advocate for cycling and cyclists that we have rooting for us. (I don't think I've missed anything except his own range of bikes but the rules ban advertising on here. :wink: )
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote: On the contrary, I was merely praising GO, while having another dig at the people who made the film discussed in the other thread. Without returning to check what I said on there, I mentioned omissions, giving the example of short clips of Beryl Burton being used only to dismiss time trialling. I assume that both omissions (IMO glaring omissions) were caused by ignorance (Sheer ignorance?) rather than a rational decision about their contribution to cycling.

I didn't think I'd picked up a stick by either end...
I enjoyed the Bicycle film, you didn't, there's no right and wrong in that, I'm not going to try and persuade you that you should have enjoyed it or be persuaded that I shouldn't have. We could all come up with lists of what we think was omitted and they'd probably all be different, I think that's the limitation of the format.
Anyway, have you watched this one? Be interesting to see if we agree on something :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Just looking for our copy of GO movie Flying Scotsman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flyin ... (2006_film)
Can't find it.

I enjoyed that as well, but IMO this is a better film.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I haven't watched this one. I do remember something more contemporaneous about the rivalry between GO and CB and it's partly that which gives me a mental image of them together on the podium, one on the top spot then the other. Ditto the hour record. Perhaps that what MickF referred to.

BTW, I do remember in those days feeling that CB never really fulfilled his potential on the road. Then I read something which seemed well-informed suggesting that he was one of very few top riders who were "clean." Good on him. :D

Another Chris Boardman memory which revealed his ordinary guy side. I was summoned to watch A Question of Sport when he was on (more years ago than it seems, I fear. :oops: ) He got the usual dead easy "Home" question to which the answer was "Hugh Porter" but he had to guess and got it wrong. The guy's human, and all the better for it, IMO. :D
hondated

Post by hondated »

PH wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08c70vf/battle-mountain-graeme-obrees-story

This is currently on Iplayer, but only for a few weeks, not sure where or when it was on the TV, maybe only in Scotland. I think this has been edited for TV, it seems a lot shorter than the full film.
I saw this last year at a small cinema, followed by a Q&A with the most entertaining Graeme, I'll make time to watch it again.
It's all about the man, open and honest, funny, entertaining and sometimes sad. I watch it as someone interested in cycling, but I don't think you need that interest to enjoy it. I was hoping it would get a wider release, I know several non cyclists who would enjoy it.
Apart from the story, the cinematography is superb, if you're not hooked in the first few seconds you have no soul :wink:
if you've got an hour on this coldest of weekends, give it a watch and lets hear what you think.

Thanks well worth watching. Graeme is a legend as he is not only a great rider but also very inventive with limited financial resources.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:Just looking for our copy of GO movie Flying Scotsman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flyin ... (2006_film)
Can't find it.

https://youtu.be/kOrDaekNsbY
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

It's cold wet and miserable out, ride cancelled so I gave this another watch.
This TV version has about a third of the film cut, a lot of it the personal story. It's still a good story but IMO nothing like as good as the full film.
Si

Post by Si »

I enjoyed. Could have done with some subtitles here and there :lol: