** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Postby Cowsham » 17 Dec 2020, 10:30pm

Xmas -- it's silly season -- I'd recommend stay off the roads if you can till things calm down a bit.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 18 Dec 2020, 10:19am

Oldjohnw wrote:I use the carving knife I was given as a wedding present in 1971. Used weekly since then. I sharpen it every time I use it and it requires little pressure. The secret for me is to let the meat stand for 15 minutes.

Just before we were married (not thee and me, John, but me and her) in 1969 I bought a set of 1902 carvers for £2 from a junk-shop in Edinburgh. Silver-mounted horn handles with a lovely carbon steel blade on the knife. Still in the original case, too, with the leatherette peeling here and there to show the box-maker's pencil marks still on the wood. That knife just needs a few gentle strokes on the steel to take a shaving edge.

Can't put them in the dishwasher, though, so I usually use a 32€ supermarket carver and a 20€ diamond "steel". Excellent.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 18 Dec 2020, 11:17am

We still have one of those bread knives with a plastic handle my da bought in the 70's from the ideal home exhibition at the kings hall in Belfast. The guy selling said it would last a lifetime -- he's been right so far. Just a serrated edge never sharpened -- I cut everything with it.

peetee

Postby peetee » 18 Dec 2020, 11:29am

I have a Sony Dream Machine bedside digital clock/radio that is 37 years old and still works perfectly -despite being knocked of its perch more than once. In the mean time I have bought several mini radio/CD players for downstairs or in the workshop that have never been impacted in any way and the best has only lasted 3 years without going faulty.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 18 Dec 2020, 11:39am

My enamel roasting dish was my grandmother's. She died in 1960.
John

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Dec 2020, 11:44am

Cowsham wrote:We still have one of those bread knives with a plastic handle my da bought in the 70's from the ideal home exhibition at the kings hall in Belfast. The guy selling said it would last a lifetime -- he's been right so far. Just a serrated edge never sharpened -- I cut everything with it.

Ah! A Subtle Knife.....
-----------------------------------------------------------

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 18 Dec 2020, 12:57pm

Since I have been with my new partner life has changed for us both. She was a successful antique dealer and almost everything in her house has age to it (including me!). Her breadknife has a bone handle and its excellent and cutlery and crockery has all been purchased from the saleroom or car boots. She has a totally different set of valuations on things to me. However, the antique 24 inch tv has gone as has the electric hob and ancient oven. The garage has been transformed from a receptacle for piles of 'stuff' into a clear area with Rapid Racking shelves containing Freecycle, Gumtree and Ebay items. We have had a good effect on each other
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 18 Dec 2020, 9:05pm

Hi,
Well the third washing machine we had in 37 years finally packed up, we are now on our forth, which is expected to last just 7 years as the drum bearing cannot be serviced :?
New fridge freezer and washing machine this year, but I fear that we will cook xmas lunch on our secondhand cooker which is......ahem.......40+ years old :P
Need a gas man as standards have changed over the years as to what should not be near the hob and on the wall..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 30 Dec 2020, 1:37am

Spray deodorant is normally cold but it's even colder if you ride 10 miles with it in your pannier and use it straight away :shock:

colin54

Postby colin54 » 30 Dec 2020, 3:47am

Bloomin' full moon reflected off of snow driven insomnia !

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 30 Dec 2020, 10:46am

Redvee wrote:Spray deodorant is normally cold but it's even colder if you ride 10 miles with it in your pannier and use it straight away :shock:

I've known this unpleasantness after a 15 mile ride to work at 6am and the short involuntary yelp as the spray hit my armpit.

Stevek76

Postby Stevek76 » 30 Dec 2020, 4:05pm

Cowsham wrote:Xmas -- it's silly season -- I'd recommend stay off the roads if you can till things calm down a bit.

Run cameras if you're in an area with a police force friendly to such things. Then you can give the bad drivers a few christmas presents in the form of points and fines... :twisted: