** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: A RANT thread for Odds and Sods

Post by 661-Pete »

Vantage wrote:The price of my new B17. That bloody well stung!

Well I hope it's more comfy than sitting on a wasp. Or a jellyfish... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

It would take something like those two for comparisons to allow a Brooks saddle to be called comfortable. Rather like the stings, the best thing that you can do is just not think about it.

I have been stung by scorpions before! Totally painless by the way.
Yma o Hyd
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

661-Pete wrote:

Or a Brooks Bee17

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Insolite/Toulouse-Des-milliers-d-abeilles-se-ruent-sur-un-velo-1008106?xtor=CS2-17&_utm_source=1-2-2
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Aha! Lovely story. But don't expect a beekeeper to come to the 'rescue' every time. Apparently they're rather wary of adopting what may turn out to be a diseased swarm. Such are the downsides of beekeeping.

What the beekeeper needs to do, in such circumstances, so I've had it explained to me, is find the queen. Once she's been captured and removed to a hive, all the others will follow.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Norman H wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Or a Brooks Bee17

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Insolite/Toulouse-Des-milliers-d-abeilles-se-ruent-sur-un-velo-1008106?xtor=CS2-17&_utm_source=1-2-2

I've heard of getting a buzz from a ride but whoa! No thanks!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

today's rant

Memorial to boy who died of cancer destroyed twice in matter of days

THE mum of a seven-year-old boy who died from cancer last year has condemned heartless yobs for destroying his memorial twice in a matter of days.

Braiden Lee Prescott, from Leigh, died at Derian House Children's Hospice on September 1 after neuroblastoma, which he was first diagnosed with at the age of two, returned for the third time.

A memorial to the brave youngster was created by his uncle Kane and some of Braiden Lee's friends on a tree in Firs Park the day after his death.

It included toys he played with and teddy bears from his funeral.

His mum Steph was dismayed to hear from a friend on Thursday that the treasured memorial items had gone with the tree having been stripped bare.

http://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/1516 ... r_of_days/

they should have known they live in leigh, where somebody elses suffering is an insult to your own. how dare they construct a public monument to symbolise their grief, if you want to go publicly expressing yourself, you better spray paints a swastika on a busy road.

my own small town gripes aside, it seems like the council is 'working towards a more permanent display' which is pretty cool.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

another one... not so much a rant... just a reiteration that i think could save people a lot of headache, having noticed another thread, and another, oh and there's that thread too.... yup there's one (don't take it personally, i'm basically describing the internet here)

all political debate is emotional outbursts based on personal experience that just happen to be reinforced with pre-prepared studies and statistics that are as diverse as the ecosystem of the planet we live on. so any given standpoint is questionable, mine, yours, his, hers, everybody's.

every so often, we get to decide whose emotional outbursts we want to listen to and act on, and sometimes the people that promised it, make it so.

i think if people saw things like that, we'd be able to go back to a time where i could sit and enjoy a drink with people who didn't grow up under the exact same circumstances i did, while being grown up enough to talk about how their lives brought them to their own conclusions. i haven't done that in ages.

and i suspect that despite noticing this, i am as intolerant as everybody else.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:and i suspect that despite noticing this, i am as intolerant as everybody else.

Probably not. You have an element of self-doubt - something not found among the most intolerant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:
http://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/1516 ... r_of_days/

they should have known they live in leigh, where somebody elses suffering is an insult to your own. how dare they construct a public monument to symbolise their grief, if you want to go publicly expressing yourself, you better spray paints a swastika on a busy road.

That's Leigh for you,it used to be a lovely town but now seems to be inhabited by more than it's fair share of loonies and people who like to shout at the pigeons as a pastime :|

my own small town gripes aside, it seems like the council is 'working towards a more permanent display' which is pretty cool.

That's something positive at least.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

reohn2 wrote:That's Leigh for you,it used to be a lovely town but now seems to be inhabited by loonies and people who like to shout at the pigeons as a pastime :|

well that explains why even the birds seem to hate me :lol:

bovlomov wrote:
ChrisOntLancs wrote:and i suspect that despite noticing this, i am as intolerant as everybody else.

Probably not. You have an element of self-doubt - something not found among the most intolerant.

thanks for noticing that ha.

at any rate, i think i'm basing my opinion on humanity based on a few posts i saw on the internet :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That's Leigh for you,it used to be a lovely town but now seems to be inhabited by loonies and people who like to shout at the pigeons as a pastime :|

well that explains why even the birds seem to hate me :lol:.......

All yer gotta do is stop shouting at them :wink: :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

it's by association, i'm assured :lol: :grin:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

wow seems like the Guardian is on a rant about Osborne and his ilk -

butter wouldnt melt in my mouth ( well  you can  fool most people most of the time heheheheh)
butter wouldnt melt in my mouth ( well you can fool most people most of the time heheheheh)

"Is politics a service, a duty, a means to represent the needs and aspirations of the people, or is it a launchpad for lucrative jobs in the private sector? George Osborne was terribly amused in the House of Commons yesterday: all this fuss over a trifling issue like the corruption of British democracy! Can’t we see he’s doing us a favour, having to suffer the indignity of being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for multiple jobs rather than representing his constituents, all to make sure our “parliament is enhanced”, as he puts it? The sacrifice Osborne has made for all of us, having to be paid a juicy salary to further blur the distinction between media and political power, to make sure parliament is enriched by yet more MPs failing to devote themselves to the people who elected them."

ouch :lol:

"In whose interests is this country run? They’re not even pretending any more. Britain is ruled by a never-ending dinner party, marked by limitless self-regard and contempt for those who don’t have a seat at the table. It is a grim spectacle. It is also a threat to our democracy, and it must be called out."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/21/george-osborne-story-britain-ruled-never-ending-dinner-party?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=218418&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

First ride over 30 miles in months today. 45 to be exact.
My backside is killing me. My Googleberries are numb. It was a constant headwind all the way home and I seemed to be having a constant hypo from Mawdesley. I had 2 close passes from tipper drivers on the way out. On the way home, one car pulled out from the left forcing their way to turn right. On the right another was forcing his way across to the left and trying to get there before the clown pulling out from the left. Behind the clown on the left another impatient **** was forcing her way to turn left. Nobody could move. I had to 'filter' through them. I blared the horn.
Then later on I was told "PAY YOUR ROAD TAX THEN! W*****!" by a woman in a big suv who pulled out from a side street on my right despite seeing me. All I did to provoke it was beep my horn and shout "come on!" As in "come on what are you doing?"
Both camera batteries had died by this time.
Coulda been a nice day. Even the sun was out. Meh.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do hate people who lick their fingers while sorting papers, handling cash, working at the till. Or rather I hate the habit

How may one get them to stop it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies