** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
old_windbag

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote:Oh and talking about "plastics are forever". I note that the iconic 60s movie The Graduate is getting a re-release,

A re-release rather than a remake sounds ok. Tame by the modern yoofs standards sex wise but it was very good for the imagination. I thought the "plastics" quoting man at benjamins party was a classic line, clearly not forgotten. I also liked the bit where Mr Robinson confronts Benjamin and jumps out of the way over the bed telling him not to hit him. A real classic and a top dollar soundtrack..... another good reason to re-release.

Anne bancroft was only about 6yrs older than dustin hoffman when they made that so not quite the middle aged woman of teenage dreams. But boy she was good. It's very funny too throughout, especially hotel foyer scene.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

661-Pete wrote:
I'd vote for a return of the dog-licence (would £250 pa per dog be unaffordable? More for an un-neutered canine? Cats as well, maybe?).

too many people own pets for pets sake. dont think it should be so high but there needs to be some sort of "are you sure mate?" charge.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
I'd vote for a return of the dog-licence (would £250 pa per dog be unaffordable? More for an un-neutered canine? Cats as well, maybe?).

too many people own pets for pets sake. dont think it should be so high but there needs to be some sort of "are you sure mate?" charge.

And what about older people who keep a pet for companionship and have limited means?

Pets are expensive enough, what with veterinary bills, vaccinations and the like. I would only expect those who don't properly look after pets to ignore or avoid any licence, anyway.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Vorpal wrote:
ChrisOntLancs wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

And what about older people who keep a pet for companionship and have limited means?

Pets are expensive enough, what with veterinary bills, vaccinations and the like. I would only expect those who don't properly look after pets to ignore or avoid any licence, anyway.

well i dunno if pete's had time to draw up something less off the cuff :lol: but i'd only back it if there were exemptions.

a little girl got attacked by a dog where i live, in a very working class area, and there was some pretty toxic opinions on the poor's right to have pets... so... actually... yeah....

i'm just excited. it's nice to see somebody else ranting in this thread. :oops:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It occurs to me that there's a cut-off age for TV licences (haven't reached it yet - is it 75?). Similar could be done for pet licences.

I may rant indeed, but I don't bring politics into the 'rant' thread. There are other places for that. Have you tried YACF?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

old_windbag wrote:It's very funny too throughout, especially hotel foyer scene.
One bit I never could 'get' - I probably only laughed the first time I saw it, never since - where the hotel clerk says "Are you here for an affair?" Just too too contrived, too artificial, for my taste. Surely even in LA no-one would use the word "affair" to mean "party" would they? Especially not a hotel clerk! Correct me if I'm wrong....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote: Just too too contrived

I think it's the whole situation thats funny. Here is "track star" benjamin braddock, graduate, sophisticated....... yet where real lifes concerned totally lost. Just as you are at that age, but perhaps not todays generation, who seem to have had every type and variety of sexual experience by 18. Yet can't hold a conversation if it doesn't require more than 140 characters in the response and contain umpteen references to "it's like", a few "OMG's" and some "amazings" thrown in :) .

I think it's a celebration of innocence, coming of age and the "older" woman that we all wanted, sometimes our friends mothers were the Mrs Robinsons of our imaginings. At that age I'd love a "Mrs Robinson" now at current age I'd prefer an "Elaine" ( the daughter ), the effect of the ageing process :) .
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

661-Pete wrote:There are other places for that. Have you tried YACF?

i like your posts, so i dont want to hide them, but i wont take it personally if you dont want to read mine. if everybody got along it would be an absolute nightmare to keep track of birthdays. it's cool! i'm not even remotely offended.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Capita the company that puts the shame in outsourcing?

I just dont understand how Capita has survived al these years? I remember when they screwed up in Lambeth London mu local borough. Now this latest obscenity?

"Capita, one of the UK’s largest outsourcing companies, has demanded payouts of up to £21,000 from graduates who tried to pull out of an unpaid training scheme under which they were not guaranteed a job.

The company, which provides services ranging from electronic tagging of offenders to store card services for retailers and BBC licence fee collection, has been criticised for advertising a number of roles in its IT resourcing division that stipulate applicants must be a graduate and able to attend between two and four months of unpaid training in London or Manchester"

What I dont understand is why the venerable BBC uses them. Chooses to associate themselves with such an organisation?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/28/capita-told-graduates-to-pay-21000-for-leaving-unpaid-training-scheme?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=237088&subid=23601318&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do dislike reading or hearing the opinion that *more cycle traffic* would be good when usually what is meant is that motons should upgrade to cycling

Not sure that would be good either

I would be happy with just less motor traffic
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do dislike reading or hearing the opinion that *more cycle traffic* would be good when usually what is meant is that motons should upgrade to cycling

is the term "moton" a word we have invented? if it is we should inform the OED?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do dislike reading or hearing the opinion that *more cycle traffic* would be good when usually what is meant is that motons should upgrade to cycling

is the term "moton" a word we have invented? if it is we should inform the OED?

Yes it comes from motorist + moron, I and others use it here often

I did start a thread about vocab, eg: pringled, upwrong,... but there was not much interest :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

It would be better to tax dog and cat food, it is very cheap now and one hears rumours that destitute people eat it, if animal food cost more than people food it might be the other way round
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If they taxed pet food to make it more expensive than human food, we'd be buying cheap human food - fish and chicken? - for our cats.
The parrot will eat anything, including the cats if she had the chance! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

And what about the folks who don't have much money, but adore their pets and look after them well? Should they be penalised? Even if they are a source of companionship to a lonely pensioner? Do those with service animals get discounts? How about sheep dogs? Police dogs?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom