** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Today's moan: able bodied people who insist on parking their car - often a 4wd - on the double yellow lines just at the supermarket door, blocking the road, when there are loads of spaces in the car park.Presumably because they cannot be bothered walking 100 yards.

Not just today, everyday :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pwa wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:We blocked Worral Thompson's car in at Tescos drop off point with our Village Charity bus from which we discorged a dozen old ladies supported on trolleys instead of their walking frames. He was fuming especially as a couple of the ladies gave him what for in no uncertain terms for parking there instead of the car park like everyone else. We took as long as possible. :lol:

Al

He was probably hoping to make a quick getaway. :lol:

It was shortly after that he was done for shoplifting.. :D Although one of his restaurants is in our village, hardly anyone will eat there. The inside looks like the remnants of a car boot sale.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mercalia wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46515908

well 2 Catholic nuns go on a Vegas gambling spree and defraud $500,000 and get off scott free as they show remorse? Should have been put in prison like anyone else would be. SO much for the RC standing up for justice and morality. Another "cover up" or soft treatment of their own sinners. The money was presumably given thru donations. Had I been one of the donors I would want some thing more than this weak result? They should end up some where in the picture depicted at the start of this thread?

"Our community is concerned and saddened by this situation and regret any injury to our long relationship with the families of the school," it added. Big deal I would want their blood

seems like parents are trying to have the 2 nuns prosecuted :) whereas the diocese doesnt want to :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One does wish that people would not quote whole posts of several paragraphs
One may abbreviate and leave a couple of dots to indicate this, it is quite easy even with a smartphone

Altogether it would be good to wrt shrt txts I thnk
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One does wish that people would not quote whole posts of several paragraphs
One may abbreviate and leave a couple of dots to indicate this, it is quite easy even with a smartphone

Altogether it would be good to wrt shrt txts I thnk

Nonsense!

If I'm going to spend my valuable time reading and writing to this place, I want some meat as well as the veg and gravy. I cannot abide a tweeter chirrupring a meaningless twitting noise; not those who are utterly mysterious in the form of a garbled, ambiguous and perhaps even self-contradictory splurge of phone-text gabble. Why do they bother if they have no real intent or ability to communicate?

Some seem to think their brief remarks pithy and amusing, as they smirk them out. Ha! Let us see how they fare when serious logic-chopping is attempted!

Cugel, a loquacious (perhaps circumloquacious) word-splurging chatter-prattler.

PS Those who fail to develop their essay-reading skills and tenacity will be forever doomed to reading nothing but comics and the concentrated contumacious cack of newspapers.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
peetee

Post by peetee »

pwa wrote:. I stick to tap water mainly because I'm tight. :D

I am torn. I don't want to create the waste by consuming bottled water but the tap water here tastes awful and is often tinted blue.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

peetee wrote:
pwa wrote:. I stick to tap water mainly because I'm tight. :D

I am torn. I don't want to create the waste by consuming bottled water but the tap water here tastes awful and is often tinted blue.

are you sure you not mistaking the loo water faucet for the drinking water taps :lol:

You can always tell johny foreigner from natives in my local supermarkets as they fill their trollys with bottled water - Thames Water in particular beat many so called pure bottled waters for purity in a large survey some time ago
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Trouble is that pure does not necessarily mean palatable. Our tap-water, coming from springs up in the forested hills behind us, was excellent until the local authority put in an extra de-arsenisation filter. Now it's unpleasant. The dumb thing is that the arsenic content was already well below the EU's permitted max, but they had to go and improve it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have always been lucky enough to live in places with nice tap water, but my parents spent some years living in a part of the Republic of Ireland where tap water came from bore holes into limestone, and the water had bits in it. Harmless, I know, but a cup of tea ought not to have scum on it.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, My late grand-parents lived in Whitstable, Kent. The water was bl**dy awful, furred up the kettle as well!
I found beer brewed in Kent to be as bad. London beer is not much better. I'd rather die of thirst. TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Where I live in Streatham the water is good to drink and make tea with. But at Holmbury st Mary near Dorking the water is terrible, tea dont taste good at all and leaves a brown deposit in my alloy kettle when camping there abouts at the YHA hostel
Cyril Haearn

Re: The Rant Thread

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went to a film about a politrickian, Mrs Dr soandso led the discussion afterwards
Quite likely she knew what she was talking about, but she would not keep still, she waved her arms about as if she had St Vitus Dance
Had to go early, couldnae stand it :?
mercalia

Re: The Rant Thread

Post by mercalia »

hmm I think there is already a well established one?

maybe add threse posts to that?

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=112336&hilit=rant
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The American Health Care System?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47510038
beep beep you are going to die
beep beep you are going to die