** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by mercalia »

why cant they invent a loo paper roll that should you drop in on the floor, dont unroll its self?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Why is cricket coverage on BBC radio 4 LW, radio 5 and radio 5 Sport? Isn't 5 Sport enough? Same goes for football coverage - 5 and 5 Sport. Hours of drivel about Bury whatever yesterday while waiting for a traffic report on 5.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peterb wrote:Why is cricket coverage on BBC radio 4 LW, radio 5 and radio 5 Sport? Isn't 5 Sport enough? Same goes for football coverage - 5 and 5 Sport. Hours of drivel about Bury whatever yesterday while waiting for a traffic report on 5.

I can only suggest Radio 3.

Blokes avidly listening to another bloke talking hysterically about some other blokes hitting a bat with a ball! Humans are mad.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Got home tonight and was asked to turn my bar mounted light off cause it was pointing in the complainers face, the light in question is angled so that the beam hits br ground six foot ahead of my front wheel and the complainer was squatting down on the pavement smoking a cigarette that didn't smell like tobacco.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

If you live in London and pay the congestion charge, it may turn out you havent due to a glitch in TFLs payment system, and therefore are fined a min of £80

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... GTUK_email

And guess qho's responsible?

The operation of London’s congestion and low emission zone charges was outsourced to Capita in 2015. It had to pay TfL more than £20m in compensation after botching an IT upgrade the following year and TfL is reportedly considering taking over the administration itself when the contract ends in 2021.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Ring pull cans. Really annoy me, as the projecting edge remaining prevents cleanly and easily removing contents, and that's after the spatter as the lid finally springs free.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

peterb wrote:Ring pull cans. Really annoy me, as the projecting edge remaining prevents cleanly and easily removing contents, and that's after the spatter as the lid finally springs free.

milk bottle plastic seals - you pull and pull and they still dont come off. Have to try and prise them off at the edges
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Egg Boilers/Cookers

I have a nice one from Lidl.

One thing though the small plastic measuring container with marks for various levels of cooking and numbers of eggs ( soft/middle/hard ) is completely wrong. I dont know what type of eggs they used to calibrate it with maybe ostrich eggs but the marks bear no relationship to reality.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:
peterb wrote:Ring pull cans. Really annoy me, as the projecting edge remaining prevents cleanly and easily removing contents, and that's after the spatter as the lid finally springs free.

milk bottle plastic seals - you pull and pull and they still dont come off. Have to try and prise them off at the edges

Get yer cow juice in a nice glass bottle with a small foil top, delivered by a cheery milkman of the non-wife-seducing kind. You used to be able to collect the foil tops then send them to Blue Peter, where they used three tons of them to buy one of the presenters a small dog or even a piddling heffalump.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:Egg Boilers/Cookers

I have a nice one from Lidl.

One thing though the small plastic measuring container with marks for various levels of cooking and numbers of eggs ( soft/middle/hard ) is completely wrong. I don't know what type of eggs they used to calibrate it with maybe ostrich eggs but the marks bear no relationship to reality.

For the farm eggs got up the road then delivered by Len the Fish along with the halibut and cockles, I employ a small saucepan and the clock on the cooker. The saucepan can also be used to cook up lentils, porridge or even an exotic soup of the kind invented in Italy. Of course, one must know a bit about egg boiling, lentil simmering, porridge gloop-points and arcane Italian foodstuffs. I have left the ladywife in charge of all that as I am not clever enough to remember it all - apart from the timing of egg boiling for various effects. (It's frustrating trying to dip a soldier into a hard-boiled egg).

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

'Death bots'

Computer experts are close to developing a way of speaking to loved ones from beyond the grave, according to the Times.

The so-called "death bots" work in a similar way to Amazon's Alexa, using voice recordings made by clients before they die.

Voice files can be accessed by smart speakers or phones - and apparently hundreds of people have joined a waiting list for the Californian company "Here After".

The paper's editorial argues the technology can afford simple comfort for grieving relatives and should be celebrated for maintaining a connection across the generations.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :?

hiya Grandad, whats the weather like where you are?
is it very hot?
:twisted:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I found this in my fathers many papers, now worthless it seems
2019-09-23-0001.jpg
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Had to press the button to hold up the mortons four times
Changed to green for me but a blind truck driver emerging from a yard went right through, pressed again
An ambulance with blues and twos stopped me cycling across, pressed again
Went green for me, cycled across, the phase is so short one may press the button on the other side as one goes by, to help the next PoB who comes along to save time
A bus cowboy saw me press the button after crossing, blew his horn, made a rude gesture, I returned the compliment. Resolved to blow a kiss if that happens again :wink:

You are Adrian Mole and I claim my five pounds.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Spinners wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Had to press the button to hold up the mortons four times
Changed to green for me but a blind truck driver emerging from a yard went right through, pressed again
An ambulance with blues and twos stopped me cycling across, pressed again
Went green for me, cycled across, the phase is so short one may press the button on the other side as one goes by, to help the next PoB who comes along to save time
A bus cowboy saw me press the button after crossing, blew his horn, made a rude gesture, I returned the compliment. Resolved to blow a kiss if that happens again :wink:

You are Adrian Mole and I claim my five pounds.

you can have my Cooks vouchers instead
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Another E-bike rider was killed by a truck driver near me today, at a place where I cycle several times a week
I shall be doing all I can to slow down the terrorists
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies