** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:We have a landline. Reception for mobile phones is inadequate in the house. Annoying.
Ours was inadequate so we bought a Sure Signal unit.

Vodafone works well hereabouts, and fine now indoors ........ but it wasn't .................. but with the Sure Signal unit it was free and simple.
The unit is connected to the broadband router via ethernet and you register your mobile numbers with it. It basically appears as a mobile phone aerial.
This means, that if the mobile signal drops off, or is poor indoors, the Sure Signal takes over and routes your calls over the internet to be re-radiated elsewhere.

It seems that the Sure Signal unit is no longer sold, but they have WiFi Calling instead now.
No doubt other providers have similar systems.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/call ... fi-calling
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

SO it seems China is more of a threat than many knew?

The uncomfortable fact the world now has to deal with is that the greatest impact on the world’s supplies of fish is now exerted – not very responsibly – by a Chinese fleet of 12,490 vessels, compared to the European Union’s distant water fleet of around 300 vessels and the United States with around 230. The latest figures show just how much of a challenge China faces in limiting its fleet to 3,000 vessels, as it promised to do by 2020 at world trade talks in 2017.

And Africa in particualr is suffering

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-china-s-fishermen-are-impoverishing-africa?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see that the Gateshead branch of De La Rue which for the last decade has made maroon British passports is to close. I believe 250 jobs are lost.

The work for the new blue passports goes to a Franco-Dutch organisation.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

It seems not only are threads being closed but also removed now? eg the one on the afro-american who wanted a curates job and was rejected?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

[quote="mercalia"]It seems not only are threads being closed but also removed now? eg the one on the afro-american who wanted a curates job and was rejected?[/quote

Yes I've just tried to access that having been notified of a response to my post. From you, I believe.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:It seems not only are threads being closed but also removed now? eg the one on the afro-american who wanted a curates job and was rejected?

I removed it temporarily because it required extensive moderating. It is now back in place.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Vorpal wrote:
mercalia wrote:It seems not only are threads being closed but also removed now? eg the one on the afro-american who wanted a curates job and was rejected?

I removed it temporarily because it required extensive moderating. It is now back in place.

Cheers. I hadn't been there in a while so evidently missed the fun.
John
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
mercalia wrote:Just got a letter from Santander they are "reducing" the interest rate from 0.1% to 0.01%. Time to stop letting the bank use your money for nowt?

It's your money. Nobody forces you to put it in a bank.

Even at 0% you are getting your money stored safely for nothing.

Shop around, either within Santander or elsewhere. I've just had notice that my easy access account with Shawbrook is going down from 1.42% to 0.75%
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm getting adverts for clothing for"stay at home vacations". What's all that about, then?
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:I'm getting adverts for clothing for"stay at home vacations". What's all that about, then?

Instead of T shirts and shorts are they for raincoats and wellies :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I'm getting adverts for clothing for"stay at home vacations". What's all that about, then?

Instead of T shirts and shorts are they for raincoats and wellies :shock:

:)
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Antisemitism settlement plunges Labour party into civil war

well what do you think of Keir Starmer's out of court settlement that more or less admits the anti-semiticism claims were true? A stupid move I think, he should have let the law take its course as now he has a civil war in the Labour party ? If I were a Labour party member having given money to them I would be angry at the £600,000 + £180,000 spent from Labour coffers to no avail esp when the internal Labour report had not found more than average A.S in the party. Given he had some kind of high up legal role in the past I am surprised at his clumsy actions, as Corbyn couldnt stand by and see his reputation besmirched?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/22/antisemitism-labour-settlement-plunges-party-into-civil-war?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

There are some truly terrible so called cycling forums out there. It’s a massive bug bear of mine. Terrible advice given, unbelievable moderation standards etc. etc. etc. Concentration of trolls, they all make for a poor experience, and are plain dangerous in some cases. Naming and shaming isn’t a great idea, but anagrams are fun. What’s the worst you’ve encountered ( in anagram form obviously)?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mask Day the 24th July.

Astonished to still see some people without them on the trains and also in Lidls.

One I remember on the over ground in London was a lithe latino girl showing too much cleavage , clearly for her a mask would conceal her good looks so to not wear one a fashion/beauty statement :roll: She was chatting away to her friend next her who was wearing a mask.

The culprits are mostly young people, though in Lidl there was this older guy maybe in his 40s who probably didnt have a tv set or listen to the news or just plain stupid.
Navara

Post by Navara »

mercalia wrote:Mask Day the 24th July.
Astonished to still see some people without them on the trains and also in Lidls.
One I remember on the over ground in London was a lithe latino girl showing too much cleavage , clearly for her a mask would conceal her good looks so to not wear one a fashion/beauty statement :roll: She was chatting away to her friend next her who was wearing a mask.
The culprits are mostly young people, though in Lidl there was this older guy maybe in his 40s who probably didnt have a tv set or listen to the news or just plain stupid.

I was in Sainsburys Local and all customers had some form of face covering.The staff however didn't.At the pay desk I mentioned this and was told that it's up to the individual whether they want to wear it or not.I promptly removed mine and on walking out was asked by the Security guard to "keep your face covering on while in the store please mate".
Is this yet another inconsistency in the "rules"?
I see it lasting about a week before everyone stops bothering.