** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: A RANT thread - Odds and Sods

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:Cayla is turning out to be a very loose lady with no morals will do any thing for you :lol:
Thanks for the tip, but ..... no - wait! How old is this "Cayla"? I ain't doing no Jimmy/Rolf stuff no thanks!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

what an aweful lot of offal?

Post by mercalia »

Drivers in the Norwegian town of Sandefjord found themselves in a smelly situation on Thursday after a trailer burst open and dropped animal intestines all over the road. Some 150kg to 200kg of intestines covered a 70m stretch.

http://www.thelocal.no/20170217/offal-accident-as-norway-truck-spills-animal-guts-on-road
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Could've been worse - the truck could have been carrying a load of lutefisk. Or - assuming it had crossed the border from Sweden - it might have been laden with Surströmming...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

any wine drinkers here? My local Lidl have a special offer for a dry red @£3.99 should be £5.99 ( 1/3 off ) a 2012 vintage of Cascina Polsino Barbera D'asti. Rather nice dry red and I understand that it is an ageing wine can improve for upto 8 years. Certainly looks the part with real corks ( not screw top or plastic ) with metal seal over it and is quite tastey, yummy with a fragrant boquet ( that is posh sounding :lol: ) I imagine by now must be bin ends?

This german Lidl advert prices it considerably higher

https://www.lidl.de/de/cascina-polsino-barbera-d-asti-superiore-rotwein-2012/p109512
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You know - this thread has the title "A RANT thread" but there's been precious little ranting so far - too many positive posts. Yes, I've no problem with a heads-up for wine, even though Mrs P and I don't actually drink very much of it.

How about a good old-fashioned all-valves-bursting full-blown RANT then? I've got fly-tippers very much on my mind. A few days ago we went walking at one of the South Downs' many beauty spots. By the roadside, just a few yards from where the path up the scarp slope begins, some pond-scum had dumped a load of - I don't like to think what. Honestly, if I'd caught them at it, and if I'd had a loaded shotgun with me..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Perhaps I'd better stop there.
Edwards

Re: A RANT thread for Odds and Sods

Post by Edwards »

I do not understand this modern obsession with the bloody Germans. They know we won the war and have a much superior economy so why keep rubbing it in that we are so much better than the.

Is it not time to leave the poor sods alone. :!: :wink: :)
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

When will my wife realise that I have much more important things to do on the internet. I have to sort out the migrant thing, how much cars are subsidised and getting respect for the president of the usa.

I do not have time for washing the dishes or working the washing machine (thanks to gaz for his help with those). I am to important to worry about shopping and usless stuff like food. I am not interested in what type of underpants she gets for me.

I delegated all that unimportant stuff to her so that I had time to sort the world out.
She just does not listen.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Messy people! Aaaarghhhhh! What is their point?
I'm lucky to live on the edge of Bolton right next to the countryside and you would think that people in such a nice area (my street at least) would try to keep the area tidy. But nooooooooooooo.
Many round here are a right bunch of disgusting dirty pigs. Gardens full of junk. Litter all over the street. Dog prezzies on many footpaths. There's a family a few houses down from me with 3 bikes sitting on the path...all with the back wheel missing. And a car seat next to them.
Then you have the few that park their work vans with all four tyres on the path. Good job there's not too many wheelchair users round here.
Yet one street up, it's nice and tidy there. Hmpf. :(
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Minimum passing laws .... and nut cases with cameras on their helmets !!!!

I am totally against a minimum passing law.
There are laws in place to cover the instance of close passing. Transient assault for instance.

A law will give every "Cycling Vigilante" armed with a go-pro camera a mandate to "prove" how they have been "nearly assaulted * " ....again and again.

Until they are throwing themselves in front of cars to prove it .....

There are some on this forum who have stated they would not cycle without a camera ... to "prove" how motorists are out to get them ....

* nearly assaulted = not assaulted.
* nearly hit by a car = not hit by a car.
* the aircraft nearly hit the primary school = did not hit the primary school.
Etc. Etc.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

disclaimer: based on a real news story, that has been forgotten slightly

piers morgan has been kicked off... something... i forget, from what i can tell because he supports trump in some capacity.

i'm not a massive fan of trump, or piers morgan.

but somebody's political endorsements shouldn't prevent them from working anywhere, providing there is no conflict of interest, like in trumps cabinet, i'm told.

all the wrong reasons, and you know... are there not enough right reasons?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so what happened to Drakes thread on the health budget and the £12bn that goes in foreign aid? I dont seem to see it any more :twisted:
Drake

Post by Drake »

mercalia wrote:so what happened to Drakes thread on the health budget and the £12bn that goes in foreign aid? I dont seem to see it any more :twisted:

Must admit I wondered myself.
Reported in the papers yesterday, the Indian High commissioner is quoted as saying, " We don't need your billions in aid ".
If that's the case, then why do we give it.
Maybe as I get older I'm becoming more cynical, but I wonder if the mandarins in government see foreign aid as a way of influencing a countries internal policies. But then again, perhaps that's me being cynical.
But every day in the news we see the following,
NHS is in meltdown.
Care in the community is struggling.
Councils want to put up council tax.
The lists seem endless.
So maybe the time has come for government to look a bit more inward.

bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Drake wrote:But every day in the news we see the following,
NHS is in meltdown.
Care in the community is struggling.
Councils want to put up council tax.
The lists seem endless.
So maybe the time has come for government to look a bit more inward.

The foreign aid budget is (I read) £12 billion). Some of it is badly aimed. Some is linked to trade. Much of it is opaque.

On the other hand, it took me two seconds to find this, in the Telegraph
The MoD was meant to have got on top of design flaws like this. Repeated cost overruns and delays were supposed to be a thing of the past, with cancellation of the Nimrod reconnaissance aircraft programme in 2010, at a cost to the taxpayer of £4 billion

The Navy’s two new aircraft carriers have already more than doubled in cost to £6 billion and rising.

Originally meant to cost less than £40 million each, the price per plane is now close to £100 million.

Only last autumn, the cost for four new nuclear-armed submarines was revised up from £25 billion to £31 billion, with a £10 billion contingency on top.

I'm suspicious of attempts to set the UK poor against the foreign poor, when so much money is squandered by the rich.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Why do India and Pakistan have space programs while they have such high levels of poverty?

Sorry but someone mentioned India and this question always comes into my head when anyone mentions India.
mercalia

Many House of Lords members claim £300 a day 'for doing nothing'

Post by mercalia »

it seems the sleeze in parliament is back this time in the House of Snooze

"Many members of the House of Lords collect their full daily allowance while contributing nothing, a senior parliamentarian has claimed.

Lady D’Souza, a former Lord Speaker, cited one example in which she said a peer ran into the Houses of Parliament “presumably to show that he’d attended”, while a taxi sat outside with the engine running. Members can claim as much as £300 a day for attending the Lords.

In a programme to be broadcast by the BBC on Monday 27 February, Paul Tyler, a former Liberal Democrat chief whip who now sits in the Lords as a life peer, called the institution the “best day care centre for the elderly in London”.

He said: “Families can drop him or her in and make sure that the staff will look after them very well, nice meals subsidised by the taxpayer, and they can have a snooze in the afternoon in the chamber or in the library.”

This is a really damning article from the horses mouth that should be read I think. I intend to listen/see teh program on the BBC

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/21/many-house-of-lords-members-claim-300-a-day-for-doing-nothing?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=214221&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

About time that they had to clock in and out? though that wouldnt stop them dozing off? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: