** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vantage

The Rant Thread

Post by Vantage »

I figured it was time we had a thread in which we could just get off our chests the little things in life that are currently driving us up the piggin wall.
I'll go first.

PUNCTURES!
Why? What is their purpose?? Why Me???
Yesterday I had 4 new innertubes coz all the others were rapidly filling up with holes and subsequent patches. Took the bike for a 10 mile trip round the block so to speak. Was gonna take the bike out for another short trip today and what do I find? A flippin flat tyre!
1 hour later having patched my brand spanking new tube and I'm still faffin about trying to get the damn tyre to seat properly.

Well and truly miffed! Grrr!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mercalia

** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by mercalia »

well the request for a political thread didnt happen -maybe becuase people rant and bellow about other things also that upset the delicate here. so maybe a RANT thread? with a health warning icon and the words "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate", "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." :wink:

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

also a place to put short lived issues that dont deserve a proper thread
Last edited by mercalia on 17 May 2018, 6:31pm, edited 4 times in total.
661-Pete

Re: A RANT thread

Post by 661-Pete »

Huh? :?
See here:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2177.0
Possibly more up your street?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

If it wasn't for all the immigrants there'd be space for proper British ranting.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

"We deliver 350 million rants per week at the EU."
"Let's all rant 350 million times per week at the NHS instead..."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
gaz

Re: Another RANT thread

Post by gaz »

Can I have a rant about forum members not using the search engine and starting new threads needlessly? :mrgreen:
The Rant Thread.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Re: Another RANT thread

Post by mercalia »

gaz wrote:Can I have a rant about forum members not using the search engine and starting new threads needlessly? :mrgreen:
The Rant Thread.

there I was thinking it was some thing original :(
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I stole the idea from yacf. So it's even less original. :P
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

...and the words "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate", "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." :wink:

You know - this famous quote from Inferno awakens fond memories for me. You see, I've been there, years ago. A wholly enjoyable experience. Shall I elaborate?

OK, here goes - you asked for it! :lol:
ZORK I: The Great Underground Empire
Copyright (c) 1981, 1982, 1983 Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
ZORK is a registered trademark of Infocom, Inc.
Revision 88 / Serial number 840726

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>open mailbox
Opening the small mailbox reveals a leaflet.

>read leaflet
(Taken)
"WELCOME TO ZORK!

ZORK is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen by mortals. No computer should be without one!"

>s
South of House
You are facing the south side of a white house. There is no door here, and all the windows are boarded.

>e
Behind House
You are behind the white house. A path leads into the forest to the east. In one corner of the house there is a small window which is slightly ajar.

>open window
With great effort, you open the window far enough to allow entry.

>in
Kitchen
You are in the kitchen of the white house. A table seems to have been used recently for the preparation of food. A passage leads to the west and a dark staircase can be seen leading upward. A dark chimney leads down and to the east is a small window which is open.
On the table is an elongated brown sack, smelling of hot peppers.
A bottle is sitting on the table.
The glass bottle contains:
A quantity of water

>get all
brown sack: Taken.
glass bottle: Taken.

>w
Living Room
You are in the living room. There is a doorway to the east, a wooden door with strange gothic lettering to the west, which appears to be nailed shut, a
trophy case, and a large oriental rug in the center of the room.
Above the trophy case hangs an elvish sword of great antiquity.
A battery-powered brass lantern is on the trophy case.

>get lantern
Taken.

>light it
The brass lantern is now on.

>get sword
Taken.

>pull rug
With a great effort, the rug is moved to one side of the room, revealing the dusty cover of a closed trap door.

>open trapdoor
The door reluctantly opens to reveal a rickety staircase descending into darkness.

>d
The trap door crashes shut, and you hear someone barring it.

Cellar
You are in a dark and damp cellar with a narrow passageway leading north, and a crawlway to the south. On the west is the bottom of a steep metal ramp which is unclimbable.
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

>n
The Troll Room
This is a small room with passages to the east and south and a forbidding hole leading west. Bloodstains and deep scratches (perhaps made by an axe) mar the walls.
A nasty-looking troll, brandishing a bloody axe, blocks all passages out of the room.
Your sword has begun to glow very brightly.

>fight troll with sword
The troll is confused and can't fight back.
The troll slowly regains his feet.

>again
The troll takes a fatal blow and slumps to the floor dead.
Almost as soon as the troll breathes his last breath, a cloud of sinister black fog envelops him, and when the fog lifts, the carcass has disappeared.
Your sword is no longer glowing.

>e
East-West Passage
This is a narrow east-west passageway. There is a narrow stairway leading down at the north end of the room.

>e
Round Room
This is a circular stone room with passages in all directions. Several of them have unfortunately been blocked by cave-ins.

>s
Narrow Passage
This is a long and narrow corridor where a long north-south passageway briefly narrows even further.

>s
Mirror Room
You are in a large square room with tall ceilings. On the south wall is an enormous mirror which fills the entire wall. There are exits on the other three sides of the room.

>e
Cave
This is a tiny cave with entrances west and north, and a dark, forbidding staircase leading down.
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

>d
Entrance to Hades
You are outside a large gateway, on which is inscribed
Abandon every hope all ye who enter here!

The gate is open; through it you can see a desolation, with a pile of mangled bodies in one corner. Thousands of voices, lamenting some hideous fate, can be heard.
The way through the gate is barred by evil spirits, who jeer at your attempts to pass.
Your sword has begun to glow very brightly.

>s
Some invisible force prevents you from passing through the gate.

>damn
Such language in a high-class establishment like this!

>RANT!!!
I don't know the word "rant!!!".

>[inappropriate word removed]
Such language in a high-class establishment like this!

>quit
Your score is 40 (total of 350 points), in 26 moves.
This gives you the rank of Amateur Adventurer.
Do you wish to leave the game? (Y is affirmative): >y

C:\games\infocom>

Anyone like to continue?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

those text games could be great fun. And demanded more from the player than most games these days?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Indeed they did. No 'slasher', this - aside from the encounter with the troll, which just had to be completed early on in the game if you wanted to progress.

Which reminds me........
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

passive aggression plagues mass communication (in the station in the raaain). you need an outlet, we need an outlet. top thread.

i keep a bowl of bananas, and a couple of biscuits (kitkats, white) in my room, and whenever i wake up in the middle of the night feeling a little bit peckish, which one do you think i go for?

and when there is only the bananas, why do i never feel peckish enough for a banana?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One thing I really dont like and want to put a stop to is the IOT, internet of things. Seems like now Cayla dolls can open your front door to any one that talks to it :lol: So for any parents here who have kiddies with Cayla dolls you have been warned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38966285
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

yeah it's scary how people are ready to give up everything to technology, and caution is seen as luddite..ism... when it's not so much the nature of technology people are scared of, it's the people that make it.

it's funny that i go on about the govt tracking me, then post details of my days riding on twitter (when i had it!)

have you even* seen lo and behold?

EDIT this being the rant thread, i added the word 'even' to make my innocent question sound patronising and rude, i hope you approve, but really it is a good film if you haven't seen it
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well seems like the EU wont be getting much help from the German military when the UK leave should the EU need to fight? seems like they been having a good life rather than spend money on their military -

"The reunification of Germany was the last big goal for Germans. After that everyone fell into this 'end of history' feeling - everything is good, we're all friends and it has to stay that way. Since then it has been hard to mobilize Germans for new projects."

https://www.thelocal.de/20170215/is-germany-military-defence-of-eastern-europe