** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Post by mercalia »

The West Coast of Africa Station, which was known as the 'preventative squadron' freeing slaves

The Daily Mail had an article on this BLM statue canceling and mentioned the following information on the Royal Navys efforts to intercept the slave trade off the West coast of Africa after slavery was outlawed in the British Empire

..However, it is unclear if the museum (The National Maritime Museum) plans to highlight how, after 1807, the Royal Navy policed the world's oceans to stop other nations and traders from continuing to transport slaves.

Through the West Coast of Africa Station, which was known as the 'preventative squadron', the Navy operated against slavers.

Without the cooperation of all governments still involved in the trade, the operation came at immense cost, with many British lives lost.

The mortality rate for men working in the squadron was 55 per 1,000 men, compared to 10 for fleets sailing in the Mediterranean or closer to home.

By the time of the 1850s, an estimated 25 ships and 3,000 officers and crew were working in the squadron.

The pursuit, capture and sometimes destruction of slave ships was also widely reported in Britain and was very popular among ordinary Britons.

Overall, between 1808 and 1860 the West Africa Squadron captured 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8826801/Lord-Nelsons-colonial-legacy-Royal-Navys-links-slavery-evaluated-museum.html

Thats quite an achievement and the sort of paying for the past that matters not tearing down statues.

Our ancestors & their govts were not all nasty slave traders. Just as well that Britannia Ruled the Waves?

What surprises me that the The National Maritime Museum intend to recaption the UKs naval heroes with their slave trade associationes but never documented and displayed the above. Why not?

I understand that Freetown in Sierra Leone became the destination for many of those freed
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

There is a petition to stop the MPs getting a pay rise

MPs could receive a pay rise of £3,300 per year from April next year on top of their annual salaries

http://chng.it/GX86dwxBps
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A couple of days ago Tory MPs voted against helping poor kids eat.

This is interesting. Whenever there is a discussion to give foreign aid some people say "don't spend our money on foreigners. We should spend it on our own poor."

Many of us said won't do that either. Now we know they won't.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 23 Oct 2020, 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:A couple of days ago Tory MPs voted against helping poor kids eat.

This is interesting. Whenever there is a discussion to give foreign aid some people say "don't spend our money on foreigners. We should spend it on our own poor."

Many of us think said won't do that either. Now we know they won't.

They're Tories,it's only to be expected...
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:A couple of days ago Tory MPs voted against helping poor kids eat.

Many of us think said won't do that either. Now we know they won't.

to the torys the poor are foreigners, "not us" so quite logical
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So the Spectator is a far right comic?

Jonathan Sumption
‘This is how freedom dies’: The folly of Britain’s coercive Covid strategy

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/-this-is-how-freedom-dies-the-folly-of-britain-s-coercive-covid-strategy?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

A new book reviewed The Biscuit: The History of a Very British Indulgence

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8891137/Britains-biscuits-explored-jam-packed-book-favourite-teatime-nibble.html

Questions you want answered

Where does the term "slush fund" come from?

Why are Liverpudlians known as Scousers?

Bourbon biscuits?

Marie Biscuits?

Garibaldi any one? how did they get their names?

Why were Digestives invented?

ps The Spectator also have a review of the book but is rather boring.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-humble-biscuit-has-a-noble-history?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Carving the sunday joint

so who here uses the standard sharp blade that takes considerable force to cut thru a joint of meat?

I did until the last joint so decided to use the bread knife to carve it instead. Why on earth are not all meat carving knives like that?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Serrated rather than smooth?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use the carving knife I was given as a wedding present in 1971. Used weekly since then. I sharpen it every time I use it and it requires little pressure. The secret for me is to let the meat stand for 15 minutes.
John
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

So the Spectator is a far right comic?

Left & right are poor descriptors of political views which are in reality rather more complex and multi-dimensional.

The spectator is probably best described as predominantly libertarian (though like all opinion publications it contains a few token opposing viewpoints). A position that is largely about personal liberty (both in an economic/business & social sense) but often to the extent of not really being bothered about one's personal liberty infringing on someone else's. Hence they tend to push for low business regulation, low worker & consumer rights and don't tend to be great fans of public transport (except for the plebs) or walk & cycle provision - those that like cycling will typically be of the Forester mindset.

And as with most such commentators & ideologues across the spectrum many seem to be prone to severe bouts of hypocrisy. For example, Richard Tice & co floating the idea of a distinctly un-libertarian work from home tax because their city centre office real estate portfolios are suffering.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Why?
I am here. Where are you?
grufty

Post by grufty »

Six close/aggressive passes today, worst one on way back from blood pressure check! Grrr!
Is there something in the air?
Thanks for letting me get it off my chest, calmer now...