** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11319
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby mercalia » 19 Apr 2018, 9:06pm

So Queenie wants Charley Boy to be he next head of the "Common" wealth?

what a load of nepotism at its worst? :twisted:

He is the last we need with his strange interests and ever so posh aristo voice and manner. Time to sweep out the old guard and and turn over the page.
time to have some one from another country?

and move into the C20 ( I know its C21 )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43820328

brynpoeth
Posts: 10988
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Apr 2018, 4:19am

mercalia wrote:So Queenie wants Charley Boy to be he next head of the "Common" wealth?

what a load of nepotism at its worst? :twisted:

He is the last we need with his strange interests and ever so posh aristo voice and manner. Time to sweep out the old guard and and turn over the page.
time to have some one from another country?

and move into the C20 ( I know its C21 )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43820328

Please suggest alternative candidates!
The commonwealth will be more important for the UK in future, new Zealand instead of Zealand/NL, cricket instead of cycling :?
Is the Rt Hon Anthony Lyndon Bliar free?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2457
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby Cugel » 20 Apr 2018, 1:32pm

brynpoeth wrote:The commonwealth will be more important for the UK in future, new Zealand instead of Zealand/NL, cricket instead of cycling :?
Is the Rt Hon Anthony Lyndon Bliar free?


One feels that the (dis)UK has been fairly unimportant to the not-so-commonweal for some years now. Queer old Tories think they will want to buy shoddy British "services" (we have little in the way of goods these days) such as "financial services" aka "robbing the poor to help the rich". However, the poor of the commonwealth have been robbed for decades or even centuries and now feel the process should come to an end.

As for BLiar, he is far from free and in fact charges an absolute fortune just to appear and utter a string of self-serving nonsense punctuated with that "look at nice me" leer o' his.

Cugel, about to purchase a skull & crossbones flag, a small cannon and a moat.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10988
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Apr 2018, 2:11pm

Jacinda Ardern would be suitable, or Julia Gillard (she is Welsh)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Apr 2018, 2:23pm

Why do so many drivers leave their engine running when they get out of their vehicle?
It's illegal of course, as well as antisocial.
I can't believe so many cars and vans are hard to start, and if they are running badly they should be put right.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10988
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Apr 2018, 2:53pm

Mike Sales wrote:Why do so many drivers leave their engine running when they get out of their vehicle?
It's illegal of course, as well as antisocial.
I can't believe so many cars and vans are hard to start, and if they are running badly they should be put right.

Because they are just STOOPID, it is *** dangerous too, the vehicle might roll away if the handbrake is not on tight. Or the cable breaks. Plenty of 'accidents' happen that way
I go over a folding bridge on the way to work, it closes for 10 minutes
Many motons leave their motors running or restart them long before they can move off
The cops could issue plenty of tickets €€&!
They are just bloed, doff, stupid!
*** alternative facts, opinions welcome! ***
Have I missed something?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Apr 2018, 3:51pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Why do so many drivers leave their engine running when they get out of their vehicle?
It's illegal of course, as well as antisocial.
I can't believe so many cars and vans are hard to start, and if they are running badly they should be put right.

Because they are just STOOPID, it is *** dangerous too, the vehicle might roll away if the handbrake is not on tight. Or the cable breaks. Plenty of 'accidents' happen that way
I go over a folding bridge on the way to work, it closes for 10 minutes
Many motons leave their motors running or restart them long before they can move off
The cops could issue plenty of tickets €€&!
They are just bloed, doff, stupid!
*** alternative facts, opinions welcome! ***
Have I missed something?


I'm sure you are right about the stupidity, and I imagine these drivers also whinge about increases in the price of petrol.
In my short (thank god) driving career I used to switch off at the level crossing on the way into town. When the train goes through it is time enough to start up.
I wonder if there is a subconscious identification of the running engine with the driver's strength, or virility. Driving does seem to incline some drivers to feel powerful and potent.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10988
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Apr 2018, 3:54pm

There is a form of compensation, the audis that switch off their motors for three seconds while waiting at the lights, always shocks me to hear the motor start up again :(
The vehicle is smarter than the driver
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46380
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby Mick F » 20 Apr 2018, 4:32pm

Start/Stop.
I think all cars have to have it now.
Our 2011 Fiat500 had it and it would be in Stop phase for the full designed three minutes. Quite liked it actually, as there was piece and quiet at traffic lights. Mind you, you could hear all the rumbling diesel cars more clearly, and the thump thump thump of someone's music.

Now driving a Yaris Hybrid. Totally silent when the engine is up to temperature as it shuts down completely .......... unless you put your foot down.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2
Posts: 35866
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby reohn2 » 20 Apr 2018, 4:46pm

Cugel wrote:
Cugel, about to purchase a skull & crossbones flag, a small cannon and a moat.

There's already a (un)healthy market for those in certain echelons of (dis)UK and so would possibly be something the country could export :wink:

PS,it's a cross headwind that blows no one any good if you're out of line or in the gutter....
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Apr 2018, 7:16pm

Mick F wrote:Start/Stop.
I think all cars have to have it now..


I didn't know that. I had heard that some cars do. Shows how much I have to do with the damn things.

mercalia
Posts: 11319
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby mercalia » 21 Apr 2018, 6:06am

seems like charley boy has inherited his dads tendancy for putting his foot in this gob, from his dad - must be an age related thing, dont think it will go down well as leader of the common wealth :?

"The Sun reports that Prince Charles made an "embarrassing quip" when telling a woman from Manchester that she didn't look like she was from the UK. Anita Sethi, whose mother is from Guyana, told the paper she was "stunned" by the conversation. A spokesman for the prince declined to comment. "

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6767
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Apr 2018, 6:18am

He appears, from the many accounts, to be a singularly unpleasant character, without any of the charm of his dad.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10988
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Apr 2018, 7:55am

reohn2 wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Cugel, about to purchase a skull & crossbones flag, a small cannon and a moat.

There's already a (un)healthy market for those in certain echelons of (dis)UK and so would possibly be something the country could export :wink:

PS,it's a cross headwind that blows no one any good if you're out of line or in the gutter....

Maybe you could hoist the European flag, or to avoid hate crime :?, a version of it
Yellow background, blue stars, or the wrong number of stars?
There are 12 stars on the flag, should symbolise perfection
Can anyone remember when the EU had 12 members exactly?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

reohn2
Posts: 35866
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The RANT thread for Odds and Sods **

Postby reohn2 » 21 Apr 2018, 9:35am

brynpoeth wrote:Maybe you could hoist the European flag, or to avoid hate crime :?, a version of it
Yellow background, blue stars, or the wrong number of stars?
There are 12 stars on the flag, should symbolise perfection
Can anyone remember when the EU had 12 members exactly?

I always thought the 12 stars were the number of classics riders you could juussstttt fit in an echelon across a Belgian minor road when an ill wind blows from the east :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.