Five pints?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Five pints?

Post by Mick F »

This is a drink driving poster from 1972.
16730657_1413510745388948_4570181966832986318_n.jpg

How times have changed eh?

Mind you, this was in the days of Watney's Red Barrel, and Double Diamond etc, not the 4.5% real ales of today.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Re: Five pints?

Post by al_yrpal »

Ha ha Red Barrel! I went to Valley Forge in America in the eighties. To make me feel at home the boss of the company I was visiting took me for lunch to 'the pub' in the local shopping mall. They ordered me a Red Barrel. When I sipped it they asked me "was it OK?". I said "yes, but in the UK we drink it warm". At that, they hollered at the waiter "waiter waiter bring this guy a,warm beer!" He collected my pint and returned with it after it had been warmed up in the microwave!

We always used to take Party Sevens to parties in the 60's and drove back after drinking most of it. Wonder so many of us survived! Never more than a single pint if driving these days. Its still killing off pubs wholesale around here.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's "fake news" sadly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is it?
:oops:

Sorry, it came over FB from the ex-landlord of one of our local pubs.

How do you know it's fake?
Is it "doing the rounds"?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent,
Thank you.

Just shows you how stuff can go around, and people believe it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

HMG Health Commission? Was there ever such a thing? And would it be responsible for drink-driving posters?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

This story reminds me of a vintage drink-driving advert from way back in the 1960s, which for some reason sticks in my memory. At least that one was genuine. Why I remember it, when so much else from those days is long since forgotten, I don't know.

Anyway, it opens with a group of guys drinking in a pub. One of them gets up, says he's leaving, "got to take the car home". The others protest, tell him "you can't take the car, you've had far too much". He insists, "No no, I really have to take the car". The argument goes on for a while, until he eventually produces a toy car from his coat pocket and says "present for my little lad, I promised him I'd bring it tonight". General laughter. Then the man turns to the camera and says "Seriously folks, if you've had as much to drink as I have, don't go home in anything bigger than this".

A fairly gentle message, don't you think? I'd love to dig that one up on YouTube, but not holding my breath.... Nowadays anti-drink-drive adverts are rather more hard-hitting, I reckon. Blood and gore and shock-effect. With good reason.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

Did anyone have a 5th gear in 1972? I was still a few years away from my first driving lesson (And pint) it was a good few more years till I drove anything with more than 4 gears.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You can take a white horse anywhere. And it will take you home if it knows the way. Is being drunk in charge of a horse forbidden?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

kwackers wrote:It's "fake news" sadly.

Fortunately it is fake news :wink:

Back then there were four speed gearboxes with overdrive on 4th, how did that work?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Back then there were four speed gearboxes with overdrive on 4th, how did that work?

Same way the fifth pint worked presumably.

Either that or a second gear box after the main box - guess they could build it into the main box but the only one I ever stripped was a separate box.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Alfa Romeo had been fitting five speed boxes to family saloons for quite a while by then as did certain versions of the Fiat 124 which came out in the mid sixties. Even the humble Austin Maxi introduced in 1969 had one.

When a car had an overdrive it was usually just an epicycle gearbox bolted on the back of the main gearbox, usually operated by an electric switch often built into the top of the gear lever.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:You can take a white horse anywhere. And it will take you home if it knows the way. Is being drunk in charge of a horse forbidden?

I believe it is - although you are correct about the horse getting home, following road signs is questionable .

On a moor however, when the fog comes down just drop the reins...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cyril Haearn wrote:... Is being drunk in charge of a horse forbidden?

Yes, but being drunk in public is in itself an offence. Having a horse or indeed a loaded firearm aggravates the offence. (Penalty forty shillings in old money, two quid to you.)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vic ... blic-order