earth hour - 27.3.2021- how useless is that?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rmurphy195

Re: earth hour - 27.3.2021- how useless is that?

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:earth hour is an "action" to promote energy saving etc

For one hour the lights on Sydney Harbour Bridge for example are extinguished. Then they are lit again and burn 24/7/365

How useless is that?

Pretty useless if thats the case.

Clearly they need a PIR switch coupled with a dusk-to-dawn switch.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

rmurphy195 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:earth hour is an "action" to promote energy saving etc

For one hour the lights on Sydney Harbour Bridge for example are extinguished. Then they are lit again and burn 24/7/365

How useless is that?

Pretty useless if thats the case.

Clearly they need a PIR switch coupled with a dusk-to-dawn switch.

That would make sense, seems little point in their being on in daylight, but seemingly that's the case.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I cannot find evidence of the bridge being lit up during daylight hours.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:I cannot find evidence of the bridge being lit up during daylight hours.

Cyril told us they were on 24/7x365
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I cannot find evidence of the bridge being lit up during daylight hours.

Cyril told us they were on 24/7x365

Not been there recently sorry :wink:
I do know lots of lights are left on in bright sinlight. (thinking pause) At train stations for example, where the glass train shed admits plenty of light, the lights on the platforms outside stay on too in bright sunshine. I did ask a railwayperson, he suspected there was one switch for the whole complex

But could my thesis be wrong? Maybe electricity is so cheap, there is no need to meter it, as a futurologist once dreamed?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Almost all, if not all, social change begins with protests, mostly small. Not long ago things we take for granted today were largely opposed and hugely mocked by the great, the good and the powerful.

100 years ago most men and no women were without the vote. A motley crew of protesters in an apparently futile and sometimes illegal act started off a mighty movement.

The welfare state, the NHS, universal education, the end of the death penalty were all minority movements.

I have no doubt earth hour is much the same. People on these pages, given the place of cyclists in society, should understand more than most.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It has been going for a few years, in that time I have noticed many more unnecessary lights burning in bright daylight
Each generation of new cars is bigger, wider, heavier
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:It has been going for a few years, in that time I have noticed many more unnecessary lights burning in bright daylight
Each generation of new cars is bigger, wider, heavier

On the plus side most of those lights are now LED and the overall burden on the grid is a *lot* less than it was.
So whilst I wouldn't defend folk leaving lights on needlessly (most of the lighting in my house is 'intelligent') we shouldn't also ignore the bigger picture.

As for cars, again not defending folks needs to own ever bigger cars (I spent my 'family' years with 4 of us stuck into an original mini) we shouldn't forget modern cars are vastly cleaner and safer, so much so that improvements have generally outpaced the issues created.

TBH I think the "lights left on" and "bigger cars" are probably two of the more trivial issues we face, if only progress in other areas matched these then we'd have more reason to be optimistic.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:
Jdsk wrote:In case anyone hasn't discovered this yet... small cheap PIR solar-powered LED light units are now excellent.

Highly Recommended for steps etc.

I find them to be a mixed bag. The good ones are good (I have one near my bins and I installed another at my mums).

My current(!) choice is MPOW.

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:
kwackers wrote:I find them to be a mixed bag. The good ones are good (I have one near my bins and I installed another at my mums).

My current(!) choice is MPOW.

Jonathan

MPOW headphones? As lights? :wink:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I didn't know that they made headphones until I was searching for my lights today!

Jonathan