earth hour - 27.3.2021- how useless is that?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

earth hour - 27.3.2021- how useless is that?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

earth hour is an "action" to promote energy saving etc

For one hour the lights on Sydney Harbour Bridge for example are extinguished. Then they are lit again and burn 24/7/365

How useless is that?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 24 Mar 2021, 9:44pm, edited 5 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Re: earth hour - how useless is that?

Post by Spinners »

It's done it's job.

It's created awareness.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mjr

Post by mjr »

And awareness and £2 will buy you a good coffee.

Aren't they doing anything with that awareness?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:It's done it's job.

It's created awareness.

Which will be forgotten pronto.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

my favourite was a bbc doc about ten years ago, about the negative effects of climate change, prevention, solutions. interviews with experts were segued by a long shot of a short haul flight departing.

i just feel bad that the planet has to rely on publicity stunts like this while james cordon DBE and gary barlow DBE are worshiped as part of some.... beige sabbath.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

reohn2 wrote:

It's created awareness.

Hardly. We're still talking about it.

I've worked it into many conversations today and listeners have been enthralled.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Spinners wrote:Hardly. We're still talking about it.

The centre of the universe that is the CTC forum :wink:

I've worked it into many conversations today and listeners have been enthralled.

Today maybe,do the same in a month and see how many people remember :wink:

Sorry to be so cynical but if they were serious they'd switch the lights off permanently,after all the bridge can be seen during day time hours :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Mar 2017, 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

Remember what?
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I have electric heating. The energy used by a light bulb is mostly converted into heat.
It would be rather a waste of time (environmentally) turning off the little 11W heaters during winter when I am running KW heaters to heat parts of the house. Financially it may make sense as I only heat with low tariff Economy7 electricity.

Despite that even my 9 year old daughter turns the lights off after her, most of the time.
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spinners wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It's created awareness.

Hardly. We're still talking about it.

enthralled, enchanted, captured

really? please enlarge a bit :P

What about the other 8759 hours in the year?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

What about the other 8759 hours in the year?

A couple of 500W spots on the front of the house, preferably over spilling in to the neighbours' windows.
Yma o Hyd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:my favourite was a bbc doc about ten years ago, about the negative effects of climate change, prevention, solutions. interviews with experts were segued by a long shot of a short haul flight departing.

i just feel bad that the planet has to rely on publicity stunts like this while james cordon DBE and gary barlow DBE are worshiped as part of some.... beige sabbath.

I felt the same about David Cameron's "Hug a Husky" stunt. Lots of CO2 emitted so he could have some pics taken "hugging a husky" in the snow.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I tend to feel that these types of things can be useful.

In cases where useless lighting is turned-off for an hour then switched back on then I'd hope those organising the farce would put 2 and 2 together and consider changing their habits.

In other cases, maybe people will realise that switching unneeded lighting off and then on again when needed is not actually that difficult - they've managed to master use of "the switch" and learnt it without too much of a struggle ... (so maybe they could teach my neighbour who seems congenitally incapable of switching lights off (often house indoor and outside lights left on 24/7 - and incandescent as well).

For others it raises awareness which I feel can have a broader longer term impact and is particularly important in families with young children. In a similar way as I am a great fan of domestic solar & wind, not only because of the renewable generation (though domestic wind - maybe not), but also in families with young kids, the children can take an interest, see how much more they are generating than using and it becomes an interesting educational and awareness tool, hopefully instilling practices avoiding waste and being more aware of environmental impacts (broadening to use of recyclables, redundant packaging, etc.).

I think it is difficult to access the successes or failures of this type on exercise, but every time I drive past a village church after dark and it's all needlessly floodlight (they only get used once a week/fortnight and during daylight) I am reminded that whatever we are doing to reduce waste there are still a lot of people and organisations who seem totally unaware of the impacts (or unprepared to act in a responsible manner).

Ian
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I see we're still discussing about it. The awareness continues...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Spinners wrote:I see we're still discussing about it. The awareness continues...

:lol:

you say that, but i already make an effort with this sort of stuff, and all this is putting the planet in a bad light.

alls i'm saying is maybe the planet has it coming.

did you know there's a disease killing off the worlds bananas? they're my fuel, yours too maybe. planets a £$"£$% mate.