Cognitive dissonance - Laterne Rouge - both are true

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Cognitive dissonance - Borders Line - both are true

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The cops are tops here again
Heddlu Cymru will be using an hgv (not speed-limited :? ) to catch drivers who eat, phone, cut their toenails while moving
One earnestly hopes the driver will concentrate on driving and her mate will do the observing

Not sure why it is necessary mind, a police spokesperson assorted that the vast majority of drivers are responsible!

One could not make it up
Alternative facts welcome

Several police forces have lorries. They can see more from a lorry, and they are more likely to see lorry drivers who are using computers or phones whilst driving.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The cops are tops here again
Heddlu Cymru will be using an hgv (not speed-limited :? ) to catch drivers who eat, phone, cut their toenails while moving
One earnestly hopes the driver will concentrate on driving and her mate will do the observing

Not sure why it is necessary mind, a police spokesperson assorted that the vast majority of drivers are responsible!

One could not make it up
Alternative facts welcome

Were I a heddlu stealth-HGV operative I would insist on a small crane and car-crusher mounted on a large flatbed version of the HGV. Instant punishment would be meted out to Mr Toad in the form of a hoist-to-the-HGV-deck followed by a severe crushing of his metal stink-bomb P&J!

To avoid Toad being himself crushed as he attempted a hitch-hike home, I would also have a small Toad-gaol cage mounted on the very back of the HGV's flatbed. Via social media and other hoot-horns for the mob, I would make it known that such a caged Toad could legitimately be pelted with rotten fruit, or even discarded dog-drop, by small boys (perhaps even the rougher girls) playing hopscotch by the roadside, as I made my way back to the rozzer-shop.

I feel such procedures would grok well with Welsh history and traditions of the older kind, as once applied to The Normans.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh dear, I have a lot of 'friends' here but Cugel has more points than most :)
But are we not being a bit unfair to Toads, those harmless reptiles who have not yet learnt Kerb Drill?
As a minor expert on Welsh mythology may I suggest the Afanc, a terrible Denizen of the Deep, a sort of Welsh Loch Ness Monster? Not sure that even that is suitable as a figure for contempt and fear
Pondlife is one possibility, the scum that rises to the surface :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:...
But are we not being a bit unfair to Toads, those harmless reptiles who have not yet learnt Kerb Drill?

As you will know, I'm sure, MR Toad is not a pedestrian but a motorist of the ilk that will, in fact, run over not just the road-crossing toads but also the newts, hedgehogs, cats, children, grannies, those temporarily on crutches and, indeed, anyone else foolish enough to be in his way at the time. This includes all cyclists, who really ought to hurry up or stay at home.

The beak and the rozzer need to be given full reign in dealing with this variety of motorised batrachoid. Well, that or a large fleet of them HGVs with the hoist, crusher and cage.

When I'm dictator (etc.)....

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Can both be right?

A new food store opened near me (should not have been allowed but that is another story)

There were no barriers at the entry, one could go out again if one did not find anything to buy

Later barriers were put up, so one would have to go through a till to get out. Now they have been removed

Why was it right then but wrong now?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cognitive dissonance - both are true

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Are you a depressed person who would prefer to be cheerfully deluded, or a deluded person wishing to be a depressed realist?

I am neither, but when I read the (depressing) news, I sometimes think that it would be nicer to be deluded!

There is nothing worse than a young pessimist
Except maybe an old optimist :)
There are plenty of those here, including me
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The borders railway south from Edinburgh has reopened

It was both successful and unsuccessful

Many more passengers than expected wanted to use it

But it uses old DMUs that overheat on the hills and have to cool down before proceeding

Both are true

Any more examples of cognitive dissonance?

Diolch/thanks

Sounds more like the result of incompetence to me - using clapped out and poorly maintained machinery that isn't up to the job.

Or independent/disconnected/unjoined-up thinking
I bet 60143 Tornado could get over those hills, it is nearly new :wink:

Digressing a little......

A Standard Class 4MT would be a better choice..... Or a Prairie tank, or one of them big GWR 2-8-2T Valley Lines locos or similar. Or a Standard 2-10-0 if you wanted really excessive power :mrgreen: . Smaller driving wheels (about 4 foot diameter) see, better at hauling loads/stopping & starting on hills. Whereas Tornado is a long-distance express loco with 7-foot driving wheels, would be a right sod starting & stopping on the hills..... And slipping ain't good for rails or loco.

Like bikes really. All other things being equal, the engine will overheat less going uphill using the little chain wheel rather than the big one......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

With a bit of luck some crazy enthusiasts will build a replica of Big Bertha the Lickey Banker soon, just right for going up hills and back down

Or maybe an LMS Beyer-Garratt 2-6-0+0-6-2, that should have enough power

(Just been browsing in Observers Locomotives, 1955) :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cognitive dissonance - Laterne Rouge - both are true

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think the last riders in the TdF have a dilemma
They must try to win but most of them can not, many have to toil for the team leaders, many will not even win a stage and some are eliminated
But the rider who finishes last of all, the worst rider :wink: wins the Laterne Rouge and can become moderately famous and rich
If he tried harder as he is supposed to and came second from last, he would maybe be forgotten

Seems a difficult dilemma :?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

pete75 wrote:

But it uses old DMUs that overheat on the hills and have to cool down before proceeding

Both are true

Diolch/thanks

Sounds more like the result of incompetence to me - using clapped out and poorly maintained machinery that isn't up to the job.

Not really. Since the idiocy of privatisation, rolling stock is privately owned (they were given it for a song). Suply and demand for rolling stock has been a complete mess ever since.
When BR was privatised, rolling stock was separated from operation of trains- something that was never the case before nationalisation (basically because it is insane to separate the two).
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I read up on cognitive dissonance but could make neither head nor tail of the explanation,

the thread seems to have a railway undercurrent, so here's a couple of pictures of some steamers near

Skipton.

P1020632 (640x232).jpg

P1020637 (640x418).jpg

I've no idea what type they are.
Nu-Fogey
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Flinders wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Both are true

Diolch/thanks

Not really. Since the idiocy of privatisation, rolling stock is privately owned (they were given it for a song). Suply and demand for rolling stock has been a complete mess ever since.
When BR was privatised, rolling stock was separated from operation of trains- something that was never the case before nationalisation (basically because it is insane to separate the two).

If what you describe isn't incompetence then what is?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

colin54 wrote:I read up on cognitive dissonance but could make neither head nor tail of the explanation,

the thread seems to have a railway undercurrent, so here's a couple of pictures of some steamers near

Skipton.

$matches[2]

P1020637 (640x418).jpg

I've no idea what type they are.

A saddle tank, Percy the small engine of course!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

pete75 wrote:
Flinders wrote:
pete75 wrote:

If what you describe isn't incompetence then what is?

Politican incompetence rather than mechanical, I suppose I meant.

Funny the talk about about the Garratts, just saw a pic of one in a book the other day, as was asking Mr Flinders about them. I think they look- well, strange. A bit 'only a mother could love'. But maybe if I knew one personally I'd get to like it. I gather there are none in preservation here, so I suppose I'll never see one.
A 9F (my favourite engine) should manage those gradients. :mrgreen:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are articulated locos on the WHR, Caernarvon-Porthmadog