IAM Forum demise

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

IAM Forum demise

Post by AlanD »

Hello,
Today I went in search of the IAM members forum and found that its not there anymore. It looks like its been closed.
I have a question that I wish to post on the subject of driving technique and I need a 'good quality' forum for an intelligent and informed answer.
So I took a look at the RAC forum and a quick look at some recent postings there, showed me that I'm best to avoid that site.

So, are there any IAM members here? Can anyone recommend a suitable driving forum? Could I post my question here and get an informed answer?
Thanks, Alan
Cyril Haearn

Re: IAM Forum demise

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is plenty of driving advice here. I doubt whether there is a typical forum member but like many others I love cycling first but drive as well. Cyclists tend to think a lot, including about driving. What is your question?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Alan D wrote:So, are there any IAM members here?

IAMpressoffice is a member on here, for research purposes only :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
IanH

Post by IanH »

We're hooked, Alan. PLEASE ask your question!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Alan D wrote:So, are there any IAM members here?
Yep.
I passed my advanced test early 1986 and been a member since.

Forum?
No idea and not interested either.
Sorry. :oops:

TBH, I'm thinking of cancelling my membership because I get nothing in return. There was a time in the past where you got your membership payment back in reduced insurance ............ but not any more.

The IAM mag isn't a patch on what it used to be, and now it's been dumbed down yet again. I leafed through the latest one, then chucked it in the recycling.

I'm 70 in five years time, and I'm seriously thinking of not renewing my driving licence.
Mick F. Cornwall
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

IAM Member's Forum was closed because there were (apparently) only 43 active users. The fact that the HO rarely responded to any point raised and many were critical of The Management was of course nothing to do with it...

Many of the 43 active users decamped to here http://www.advanceddrivinghub.com/forum/, please feel free to post any technique questions as there are plenty of IAM observers and RoSpa instructors on that forum.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:I'm 70 in five years time, and I'm seriously thinking of not renewing my driving licence.

Probably means you should at least consider renewing it once... Its the people who don't think about it that scare the rest of us...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

AlaninWales wrote:Many of the 43 active users decamped to here http://www.advanceddrivinghub.com/forum/, please feel free to post any technique questions as there are plenty of IAM observers and RoSpa instructors on that forum.

That forum's down at the moment!
I'm a full member (motorcycle) of IAM Roadsmart as they like to call themselves these days, as far as I know the forum disappeared at the same time as this re-branding exercise. I wasn't aware there was so few active members on the forum, I used to read it quite a lot and was very disappointed when it was closed. As per MickF above I'm not intending to renew next year as there's not much they now offer that interests me.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I just clicked on the link to the advanced driving forum, it seems to be alive and well

First thread that caught my attention:

*Would you break the law here*

About whether one should use the hard shoulder to save a few seconds

No no no!
softlips

Post by softlips »

I recently passed my IAM test, what's the question?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I just clicked on the link to the advanced driving forum, it seems to be alive and well

First thread that caught my attention:

*Would you break the law here*

About whether one should use the hard shoulder to save a few seconds

No no no!

That's quite an old thread, not sure why you are seeing that first.
It's about a habit amongst the users of a particular junction of using the hard shoulder to queue for the exit. This has possibly developed due to some 'active motorway' junctions being signed for just that. Apart from blocking the way for emergency vehicles, the practice of doing this in an uncontrolled manner (as at the junction concerned) makes it harder and more dangerous for drivers who try to leave at that junction in the normal fashion from lane1; because the hard-shoulder queuers frequently block anyone doing so (and the local expectation is that the queue is on the shoulder rather than lane1). Last time I looked the main conclusion was to attempt to use the junction normally and if unable, to proceed to the next. If you have a better way of dealing with that, please contribute!
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hello all, sorry for keeping you all in suspense. It's been a stressy week (studying for an exam) then I got login problems with this forum. But its all fine now.
Well this is what I have prepared. As I have said, this really needs well thought out and informed consideration, so not for the other site I mentioned. Here goes.....

On my daily commute, I have come across a situation which is guaranteed to cause confusion and I am not sure if it is even covered at all in the Highway Code. I have yet to find an effective way of tackling the problem.

My route along the A40 includes a length of dual-carriageway to the east of Andoversford, at the time I travel it is always busy with traffic.

Just before the end of the dual carriageway, heading westbound, the road surface of the inside lane (lane 1) is badly broken up across the entire width of the lane for about 20m and pitted with numerous deep holes. I would describe the surface as being more like a moonscape than a road.
To hit this section at a normal road speed will cause the car to bump about violently. Possible damage to the suspension or even a loss of steering control are a real concern; so driving over this section is not an option, making it necessary to pull out into lane 2. This spot is also a slight brow of ridge (see picture)

The problem is that of avoiding this stretch in the face of other traffic. The problem is compounded by it having been single-carriageway since Burford and if there’s a slow vehicle, then a long caravan of frustrated, twitchy motorists builds up. Suffice to say that it’s here everyone goes into racing driver mode as they race to get in front of each other before the road reverts to single carriageway. Exceeding the national speed limit here is commonplace.

Now if the hazard was a broken-down vehicle blocking the lane, then the need would be clearly visible to all and we would all know how to behave. However, because of what it is, the hazard is not clearly visible and I think that my intentions are mis-understood as an attempt to block traffic from overtaking me. So far, I have had one van driver appear behind at an excessive speed, swerve past on my nearside and reward me with an obscene hand gesture as he shot into the distance ahead.

As I have said, the road is busy so it is rarely empty. Also, waiting for faster traffic to pass me before reaching this spot rarely happens. The best I can hope for is to stay behind a slower vehicle and then choose my moment to overtake, if faster traffic permits. Recently, I have started to use my hazard flasher to draw attention to the hazard, this has so far been a successful approach.
Yes, I have reported this spot to the Council, three times in the last year and still nothing has been done about it!
Any suggestions on how I can best negotiate this hazard?

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.8 ... -11.69p,1z
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would seek another route if possible

You could inform the council again, I believe it is possible to erect barriers so the damaged road can not be used, also to sign a lower maximum speed limt

And try contacting the local newspaper/media

Not sure what the law says about using hazard lights when moving
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I would definitely report this again, stating that the road is in a dangerous condition and that these holes represent a significant hazard to all road users especially those on 2-wheels. Be prepared to submit grid references / pictures / largest hole dimensions. Best of luck and in the meantime keep your speed well down on this part of the road until it is repaired. Ignore all the other idiots! Might be worth also posting on the Honest John motoring forum?
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=2