Feeding the birds

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Feeding the birds

Post by thirdcrank »

It's only quite recently that the government formally abandoned the lost war against the grey squirrel by repealing the regulations which eg imposed a duty on the occupiers of land to report the their presence. AIUI, if you want to kill them you must do so humanely. If you trap one alive your options are to kill it humanely (by shooting or clubbing it) or get a vet to kill it. "Rehoming" is illegal.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 12:05pmIf you trap one alive your options are to kill it humanely (by shooting or clubbing it) or get a vet to kill it.
I recommended the use of humane traps and shooting. Of course this demands frequent inspection of the traps, not using them at night or if you're away, and rapid killing.

Jonathan
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 10:05am
Vorpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 9:04am There are lots of ways to keep squirrels off feeders without resorting to harming them.
Quote right - your pellets might damage the feeders - best to use some other method of destruction.
A bloke at the range we use sells Squirrel lure/feeders that he's made.£55!!!!
It's only a few bits of wood and perspex!
I could quite easily knock one up in about an hour.I think it's supposed to keep the Squizz's away from your bird feeders to give you a clear shot 8) Perfectly legal but IMO it would also lure larger birds such as Magpie and Woodys which although you are allowed to shoot you can't lure them into your garden to despatch them.Not sure how anyone could prove you've lured them but hey ho.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I found a bird in a mousetrap the other day. Don't know how it got in the shed, but I guess it was mouse sized.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Thought it was going to be a nice thread about feeding the birds, unfortunately the gun obsessed have arrived and want to go on and on about killing wildlife - :(
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Pebble wrote: 4 May 2021, 5:22pm Thought it was going to be a nice thread about feeding the birds, unfortunately the gun obsessed have arrived and want to go on and on about killing vermin - :(
Fixed that for you :lol:
Gun obsessed :lol: :lol: Why do some folk feel the need to over-exaggerate?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that there was some rather light-hearted discussion :D

However a serious subject, and one that the RSPB wrestles with. Discussion and numbers here:
https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b ... ld-birds-5
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one under-exaggerate about noise pollution? Went for a walk in the gloaming late, the feathered chums were making a right racket, can something be done? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Whilst watching other birds I can across this well camouflaged little soul sitting asleep.