Feeding the birds

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Feeding the birds

Post by mercalia »

my porcupine to keep the pigeons away made from a strip of that pointy stuff used to keep pigeons etc roosting on fences etc, wrapped around

A bit of a tight  fit
A bit of a tight fit
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

What TV channels can you actually pick with that?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pigeons in town, or rather people who feed them:-1
But pigeons are quite beautiful and intelligent birds, observed one yesterday, they have tiny brains but can remember locations and routes very well
In trumpland there used to be unimaginable numbers of passenger pigeons until people started killing them for fun, now there are none :(
-30 000 000 approximately
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Pigeons in town, or rather people who feed them:-1
But pigeons are quite beautiful and intelligent birds, observed one yesterday, they have tiny brains but can remember locations and routes very well
In trumpland there used to be unimaginable numbers of passenger pigeons until people started killing them for fun, now there are none :(
-30 000 000 approximately

I cant agree regarding their beauty. They are the ugliest bird with fat bodies and tiny heads. The 2 or three that kept on trying to take the bird food are fat I wonder they can fly. They still hang around to hoover up bits and pieces the small birds throw out of the bird feeder, make a lot of noise with their wings and leave their droppings on my balcony. Why I got myself a catapault and some mud balls. Any way my porcupine does the job and also goes some way to stop the theiving squirrels that climb up the walls, 3 floors up also: One had figured it could go onto the roof of the building and climb down onto the feeder, not now. 8)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I cant agree regarding their beauty. They are the ugliest bird with fat bodies and tiny heads. The 2 or three that kept on trying to take the bird food are fat I wonder they can fly. They still hang around to hoover up bits and pieces the small birds throw out of the bird feeder, make a lot of noise with their wings and leave their droppings on my balcony. Why I got myself a catapault and some mud balls. Any way my porcupine does the job and also goes some way to stop the theiving squirrels that climb up the walls, 3 floors up also: One had figured it could go onto the roof of the building and climb down onto the feeder, not now. 8)

There are many branches coming off the pigeon tree. Whilst some are fat and ugly there are some beautiful ones too. Doves are members of the same family and very pretty.
Anyway hoovering up after the little birds is pretty handy imo, the mess those little buggers make is unreal.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:I cant agree regarding their beauty. They are the ugliest bird with fat bodies and tiny heads. The 2 or three that kept on trying to take the bird food are fat I wonder they can fly. They still hang around to hoover up bits and pieces the small birds throw out of the bird feeder, make a lot of noise with their wings and leave their droppings on my balcony. Why I got myself a catapault and some mud balls. Any way my porcupine does the job and also goes some way to stop the theiving squirrels that climb up the walls, 3 floors up also: One had figured it could go onto the roof of the building and climb down onto the feeder, not now. 8)

There are many branches coming off the pigeon tree. Whilst some are fat and ugly there are some beautiful ones too. Doves are members of the same family and very pretty.
Anyway hoovering up after the little birds is pretty handy imo, the mess those little buggers make is unreal.

well mine are the fat and ugly ones. They dont try and get the feed any more, as they see that it is useless, they tried brute force but got impaled, other s tried to hover wings out stretched but the spikes didnt allow them to get close enough. Now when the little birds come they walk around on the balcony looking for scraps. The 'tits dont make a mess its the robins who dont have the beak to break the mealworms or suet pellets into manageable bits so have to get them in their beak and give it all a bit of a shake in the hope that bits will break of, thats when they send the other pieces flying onto the balcony. Mostly the 'tits take a bit and fly off to the tree down below, though a few are realising why do that just stay and eat, sitting on the basket rim with the bits in their feet
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Plenty of sparrows and blackbirds in the garden waiting to be fed, small hog is sleeping in his/her box under the decking :)
Occasional crow and pigeon fighting for the meal worms.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Have some footage from the other night of a hog in the feeding box (it's transparent in infra red).
Cat was sat patiently waiting because he could hear the noise, then as the hog starts to make its exit the cat get into pounce position and then the hog appears...

Cat takes a look, puts on a "oh, it's a hog" face and sits back up.
Hog ambles over towards the cat which then promptly scarpers.

Funny how quickly he went from mithering them to keeping out of their way.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cat was no so smart, could it not smell the prickly pig?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cat was no so smart, could it not smell the prickly pig?

less bright than my stupid obese pigeons with my porcupine
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fausto copy wrote:What TV channels can you actually pick with that?

Twit tv

https://twit.tv/

One thing I didnt know about small birds - about 20% die within 30 days of starvation. Well I am glad this little lot have escaped that fate.
Last edited by mercalia on 20 Jul 2019, 7:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:

My cat isn't smart, it tried for months to figure out how to eat hogs despite being prickled several times.

Can a pigeon be obese? Surely it would become cat food long before it did...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:

My cat isn't smart, it tried for months to figure out how to eat hogs despite being prickled several times.

Can a pigeon be obese? Surely it would become cat food long before it did...

well I was up China Town London for my weekly meal and pretended to be a tourist in Leicester Sq ( they now have free deck chairs to lounge around in) I was able to see the few pigeons left and they were quite slim compared to my bloated ones. Also they seem to be becoming black in colour
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is a WoP War on Pigeons being waged up West?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:Also they seem to be becoming black in colour

Apparently our diesel stained sooty buildings are to blame for that.