Dank u wel - We love Nederland

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Dank u wel - We love Nederland

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The railway museum in Utrecht is great but entry is 16€ more than at the NRM

So what you're saying is that entry is 16€....

Yes the NRM is free (still?), the Spoorwegmuseum is great, I willingly paid to park my vehicle too :wink:

The NRM is so big, too much to see in a day
Plus One for free museums
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I am under 60 but was brought up on Dad's Army, Colditz etc

The war is so distant in time now, many people know little about it

I love the idea that Dad's Army somehow taught you about the war. Oddly l'd say that people know more about that period of history than any other, the number of books published about the Third Reich and WW2 every year is huge. Plus of course Dad's Army is still on repeat!

Funnily enough there were massive objections to DAd's Army when it was first suggested. A parody of the Home Guard was not seen as suitable entertainment, given the part that they had played There were alterations made including the original opening titles:

The show was considered controversial in 1968. Archived memos show that Paul Fox, controller of BBC One, was so concerned about potential offence to viewers who served in or were bereaved by the war, he ordered the removal of footage of Nazi troops and displaced refugees from the opening titles.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The cycle museum at Nijmegen is +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Been in The Netherlands for the last week. Was pretty fed up with the traffic but - after driving from Rotterdam to Gotthard today - ( don't ask me why)- I can confirm that Germany and Switzerland suffers the same. We really need to get trucks off the road. Every autobahn in Europe is clogged with freight vehicles. Took me 11 hours to do 880 km. And that with long periods at 160kph+.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.