Electrocuted- charging phone in bath

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Electrocuted- charging phone in bath

Post by thirdcrank »

[quote="thirdcrank"]There are all sorts of conductors Andrew Preview, one minute in:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQBOepTtiM8
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Everything is a conductor - given enough voltage...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Water is an insulator of course.
We all know this, don't we?

It's the impurities in the water that conduct the electricity. Soapy water is an excellent conductor.
Most water has some impurities.

So we should be putting the warning labels on the soap and the Coroner should be writing to Proctor and Gamble.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:I often get people( dog owners ) going on and on about how cats just poo in gardens and cover it up. Personally I get many cat visits to my garden but can honestly count 3 poos in 15yrs so really not a lot, more hedgehog poo than that and the front path has had about 50-100 dog jobs. Cats are very clean, don't smell and get fed up if they can't groom themselves. They will use litter trays from very early in life and some even use the toilet. Yet these dog owners have what they claim to be an extremely intelligent animal and require to walk it twice a day or more normally in pretty places where they either let the dog poo vigorously or leave votive offerings( little tied bags of treasure ) from trees and bushes, or next to a seat..... very nice. How on earth can they not train this marvel of nature into pooing at home and stick it in their bin :roll: . It can fetch slippers, fetch newspaper, yet can't be toilet trained?

I reckon a dog can be trained but sadly the dogs eggs on footpaths shall continue, dog's walking in front of bikes will continue, and the carbon footprint of twice daily walked dogs will continue( the car drives to pretty places for muck spreading ). Is this the general attitude of dog owners?

Without prejudice:

Dogs are useful as SAR helpers, sniffing out explosives, guide dogs, police dogs etc

What are cats for?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Dogs are useful as SAR helpers, sniffing out explosives, guide dogs, police dogs etc

What are cats for?

Not sure I quite follow the logic of listing dogs being used for specific tasks and dogs being kept as domestic pets. My text was about the amount of dog mess and how owners claim their animals are very intelligent yet cannot train them to do their business at their own homes and put it in the bin. Rather leave it on paths and trails to tread in or leave bags of it hanging from bushes or left in car parks or next to benches.

Cats and dogs are probably the most common pets, along with fish, rabbits, hamsters etc. Pets i.e animals kept for no other purpose than company, not for finding drug's, dead bodies, escaped criminals etc. Yes a dog can do that, not of it's own accord but by having to be trained, not natural behaviour, nor does that give owners the right to despoil public areas rather than their own property whatever type of dog it is.

I think when you look at cats and dogs in the wild, cats( lions, leopards, cheetahs... ) show high intelligence. Just because something is not subservient enough to be trained does not make it less capable in it's abilities.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cats are better to fire from a trebuchet, they have better aerodynamics than a dog so could travel further and you can get more of them in the trebuchet sling ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

landsurfer wrote:Cats are better to fire from a trebuchet, they have better aerodynamics than a dog so could travel further and you can get more of them in the trebuchet sling ... :D

is that a python reference? :D

either way, they're certainly a lot more equipped to land on their feet safely, a detail people forget when criticising that film for supposed animal cruelty (not sure about cows though :lol:)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

No Python ... Just don't like cats .... They love me though ... Life is nothing but ironic !!!
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

old_windbag wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Dogs are useful as SAR helpers, sniffing out explosives, guide dogs, police dogs etc

What are cats for?

Not sure I quite follow the logic of listing dogs being used for specific tasks and dogs being kept as domestic pets. My text was about the amount of dog mess and how owners claim their animals are very intelligent yet cannot train them to do their business at their own homes and put it in the bin. Rather leave it on paths and trails to tread in or leave bags of it hanging from bushes or left in car parks or next to benches.

Cannot and will not are two different statements.

As I said before, you won't find a guide dog stopping to defecate whilst out and about - they do so in a designated hard surfaced area at home *before* they go out.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Cannot and will not are two different statements.

Semantics aside of the above, my point is clear enough to understand. Here is an animal that could quite easily do what cats will do at home( in their case in a litter tray )...... but instead we have the regularly walked paths strewn with bags or poo on the ground. The dog naturally smells the scent of all previously walked dogs and does a number two. So a poo corridor builds up within 2-300yds of each "beauty" spot car park :) .

The dog isn't the bad guy, it's doing it's instinctive thing not having been trained differently. It would be easy to change the dog's behaviour but not the owners I feel.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The only time I have known a dog go into the bathroom is to drink from the WC.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Maybe we should be encouraging dogs to take their iPhones into the bathroom with them .... end of problem .... :)
Be more Mike.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

landsurfer wrote:No Python ... Just don't like cats ....

ohhhhh...... oh! :shock:

well then! haha
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cats have done an awful lot of harm in Australia, they displace and/or kill the native beasts

Any dogpersons care to comment on poo? Can a dog be trained to do its *number twos* at home?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

freiston wrote:
Paulatic wrote:He didn't look old enough to have seen those public service information films I grew up with. Having seen those films as a youngster I wouldn't dream of taking electricity into the bathroom, or standing in front of the fire in a nightie, along with I know what to do when that man out at sea waves at us Petunia.
Younger readers might need to google :lol:

Those films were produced by the Central Office of Information which was closed down in 2011. I understand that unless a 'third party' produces and pays for one to be aired, that is pretty much the end of them. Also, we didn't have a lot of telly, and it was all live - so we were more likely to see them and watch them than if they were on now. I would have thought that if not at home, kids nowadays would have the opportunity to acquire 'common and safe sense' at school.

When the tories and the Libdems closed the COI down, they even abandoned films which had been completed but not aired. It was a bonkers decision, based on petty spite against a perceived 'nanny state' rather than logic and the needs and safety of the public.

(Edit: I remember Petunia- just shows how effective they were, how long ago was that?
Similar films about things like texting when driving might actually have saved lives...........)