Ride-on lawn mower

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Ride-on lawn mower

Post by Psamathe »

JJF wrote:......I have thought of a hover mower (petrol) but they aren't common so it is difficult to get an opinion from someone who has used one. Does anyone here have experience please?

My parents used to have one years ago (a petrol Flymo) and it was great. But their lawn (⅓ acre) was flat with no real obstructions (no trees bushes to go round). They did have raised edges and you had to be careful as going very far over the edge caused the hover to fail and you'd end-up with a really short/yellow patch). Also quite a fiddle to adjust the height - you had to get a spanner out, remove the blade and start adding/removing spacers).

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

dodger wrote:Thanks Paulatic. It's helpful to have real feedback.

I bought a highline 50cms cut, which has been a Which Best Buy, and I've 2/3 acre of grass to cut. Only a small bit of that is lawn like, the rest is rough ish. Tree covered and hen paddock.
As I understand it they make The mowers for Viking/Sthil in the same factory.

I think it's the American mowers that have front wheel drive. I looked at them and thought how stupid is that ? When you want to make a tight turn you lift the front!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
dodger

Post by dodger »

Just been trying out the new walk-behind. It's an Einhell and is making a good job of the half acre of rough ground so far.
It's taking about twice as long as a ride-on but I do get more exercise and going uphill is fine using the self-propelled handle.
The clippings bag is a reasonable size but obviously has to be emptied 3 or 4 times more often.
Should have done this years ago. Hopefully the sale of the old ride-on will near enough pay for this one so good all round.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

dodger wrote:Just been trying out the new walk-behind. It's an Einhell and is making a good job of the half acre of rough ground so far.
It's taking about twice as long as a ride-on......

One aspect I considered when rejecting a ride on is that ride-ons are expensive so after each use I'd probably spend time cleaning it (I don't ever bother to clean my walk-behind and it is perfectly happy). And I have trees so I'd probably also still need a walk behind to get in round the trees/hedges/etc. So add in the cleaning time and the fiddly bits with the walk-behind and you reduce the time difference.

Ian
dodger

Post by dodger »

True. It's much easier to cut around the trees and avoid the wild flowers, so less time with the strimmer!