A rather shocking video reconstruction AD79

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

A rather shocking video reconstruction AD79

Post by mercalia »

of the end of Pompeii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_3ggKg0Bc&feature=youtu.be

not some where you would want to have visited in AD 79 on your cycle tour

The end is particularly nasty :( so an adults rating only :shock:
reohn2

Re: A rather shocking video reconstruction AD79

Post by reohn2 »

The scary thing is that if and when Yellowstone goes up it'll be a million times worse......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Interesting but historically inaccurate. The city was still intact and not ablaze, at the time it was blanketed by a heavy fall of ash and pumice at around midday on 24 August. At this time some inhabitants were still able to escape.
It was not until the pyroclastic flow (nuée ardente) arrived in the small hours of the next morning, that the city erupted in flames, buildings were flattened, and people were incinerated where they stood. By then escape was impossible. Pliny the Elder was, of course, one of the many victims.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I would have thought it would be hard to know exactly how it all panned out as no one survived?
broadway

Post by broadway »

mercalia wrote:I would have thought it would be hard to know exactly how it all panned out as no one survived?

There were survivors:

https://www.thoughtco.com/pliny-the-younger-120399
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Richard Harris's novel 'Pompeii is a gripping read.

Al'
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

yellow stone haunts me in my sleep, this video set a new standard in the production of those nightmares

i hate the idea of sinkholes too, that's personally scary.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:yellow stone haunts me in my sleep, this video set a new standard in the production of those nightmares

question how can you tell it wasnt a Hollywood movie? answer it didnt have a happy ending :lol:
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

:lol: and a british super villain!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I did though see on one of those myriad freeview channels at a friends a film to do with Pompeii - was almost as dramatic . As with all these films there is a pair of would be lovers and a bad guy who wants the woman. so near the end as pompeii falling around their necks, the bad guy runs off in a chariot with the lady and the hero follows on his horse. They have a fight and kills the bad guy then the 2 lovers run off on horses as the final cloud is approaching, they realise they wont make and so decide they want the last thing they see is their kissing and as they do this the cloud oblitorates them,melts their flesh :lol:

now was that a happy ending. the guy got the girl - for 30 seconds :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:yellow stone haunts me in my sleep, this video set a new standard in the production of those nightmares

The worse thing about Yellowstone is that for most of the earth's inhabitants,it'd be a slow death situation brought about by a lack of sunlight and sheer panic.

The chances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is about the same chance as standing on a landmine in Leigh town centre.
However meeting a nutter in Leigh town centre far more likely,if not a certainty :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

reohn2 wrote:The scary thing is that if and when Yellowstone goes up it'll be a million times worse......

Just when not if
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

al_yrpal wrote:Richard Harris's novel 'Pompeii is a gripping read.

Al'

Yes! Read it in two days one Christmas, couldn't put it down.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:I would have thought it would be hard to know exactly how it all panned out as no one survived?
What about Pliny the Younger (nephew of the Elder) who witnessed the eruption and left a detailed account?

al_yrpal wrote:Richard Harris's novel 'Pompeii is a gripping read.
Indeed. And although most of the characters are fictitious, a fairly accurate and well-researched account of the events. It is interesting that, although Pliny the Elder succumbed, the novel makes it clear that he did not perish in the pyroclastic flow directly - rather he was overcome by sulphurous fumes while standing on the beach, refusing to be taken off by boat.

Eruptions of the type which devastated Pompeii and Herculaneum are still referred to as 'Plinian' - though whether this refers to the Elder or the Younger I'm not sure. They are fairly rare, as volcanic eruptions go. A more recent example occurred, famously, at Mount St Helens in Washington State, in 1980. Less deadly than Pompeii, but even that cost 57 lives.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

reohn2 wrote:The worse thing about Yellowstone is that for most of the earth's inhabitants,it'd be a slow death situation brought about by a lack of sunlight and sheer panic.

ahh all one word, i'd hate to be killed by something i can't spell.

but yeah, that's it. it's extinction, and no amount of my hippy nonsense can stop it.

reohn2 wrote:The chances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is about the same chance as standing on a landmine in Leigh town centre.
However meeting a nutter in Leigh town centre far more likely,if not a certainty :mrgreen:

i actually look at lime stone maps and stuff like that, so yeah in leigh the man vs goose civil war keeps me on my toes mostly!