Hayfever and cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Hayfever and cycling

Post by Manx Cat »

My youngest (12 year old Rosie) has hayfever. It was only diagnosed last summer. On Mothers day Rosie and I set off for a cycle ride to get her started. We had a great proper bonding mum and daughter day.

The only thing that spoiled it for Rosie was that her eyes became very swollen, itchy and runny by the time we got home.

What a bummer for her.

She takes medication in the summer and has eye drops, but it was only 5 degrees on Sunday, and cold. Amazing that the pollen count was high enough, but the wild plum trees are out early this year.

Does anyone on here have hayfever and manage it on their bikes?

I have considered goggles for her, but she already has glasses and Im not sure if goggles are 'cool' enough for a pre-teen if you know what I mean.

Mary
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Goggles, in the strict sense arent really appropriate for activities involving a lot of exercise because they steam up, quickly! I have problems at times and I only wear specs!
You do see cyclists wearing close fitting shades, but if they dont steam up then it can only be because of air flow behind them - so they wouldnt keep pollen away. The ones designed to accomodate prescripion lenses tend to be expensive. That still leaves the problem of inhaling pollen...
Is she mature enough to be in charge of her own medication? The easy answer might be for her to take some along.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well I can't answer about the hayfever problem specifically, but I do know the pollen is already a problem for some. A month a go we had a girl in trouble on an activity weekend we run because of the early emergence of pollen. Is she normally ok and in control of it when on her medication, if so I would get her started her on it asap.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Never occurred to me that they would steam up. :?

Thats one idea out the window.

Thanks for the reply Dave, she is able to self medicate just seems so unfair for her. SHe has eye drops but we didn't think it would be necessary, but nature said "yes".

Mary
Auchmill

Post by Auchmill »

Sun glasses might help, with appropriate lenses for the conditions. When I suffered from hayfever I found Opticrom eye drops made a difference. At least they stopped the itching. Also Beconase spray for the nose works for me.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Yes. Antihistamines, allergy drops and proper cycling glasses work for me.
PW

Post by PW »

All she can do is take the tablets. My daughter has the same problem. She does find that it's worse at low levels, up on the moors above 1,000ft she's OK. (Maybe better on the W side of the island upwind of the pollen source?)
A mate of mine reckons to avoid all products of pig and cow during the season but I've never met anyone else who said that worked.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Cyril Haearn

Re: Hayfever and cycling

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I had awful hay-fever for many years, stopped when I was about 35, no idea why

The digestion works better as one gets older too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Re: Hayfever and cycling

Post by Tangled Metal »

Coastal areas are better too.

Contact lenses might help with the eyes if she needs corrections to her vision anyway.

Vaccination is also one possibility if you are willing to go private. Relies on the allergens she's got problems with are common ones I think.