So

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Neilo

So

Post by Neilo »

What is it with the use of the word "So" or the over use? It is getting almost as bad as "like" randomly inserted into a conversation.
If you watch an interview on TV, BBC breakfast for example. The person answering the question will often start their answer with "So"
Just an Observation
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Spinners

Re: So

Post by Spinners »

Yes. It is irritating!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Redvee

Post by Redvee »

People say it to make themselves sound so phisticated :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

*well* is even worse

Many people on the radio, including *professional* presenters need basic training, they talk too fast, uncleared, lazily

Mind, I do admire those who read a text correctly
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

"Absolutely", watching documentaries, the stock reply to a question by an interviewer where the answer is a forgone conclusion. " is the sun going to come up in the morning?" "Oh absolutely" "Will it go dark tonight?" "Oh absolutely"

"I do feel better after getting that off my chest" "Do you?" "Absolutely" ARRGGHHHH :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

So - move this to the "English Language - what does your head in?" thread? :)

Seriously - I've no problem with genuine trends in the evolution of language: things would sound very odd if we all spoke Shakespeare's English, let alone Chaucer's! If a phrase or expression has acquired common colloquial usage, so be it!

What piques me is careless or deliberately sloppy grammar, spelling or punctuation, particularly on social media, based on the premiss that "it doesn't matter, people will still understand". Excuse me, but it does matter! Where a post is so badly written that it is all but incomprehensible, all the more likely that it will be misinterpreted. And we know where that leads to!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

The nonsensical use of 'so' and 'well' irritate me as well.

Even more annoying than that is the habit, which has reached epidemic proportions, of prefacing every opinion with 'Look' or 'Listen'. The rather dim witted former professional footballer pundits started this trend. They quickly all followed like sheep and now the majority of politicians and celebrities also repeat the dreadful habit. Another immensely irritating trend is the use of 'You know what' at the start of a sentence or mid sentence. As if the perpetrator thinks that by simply saying 'you know what' it gives their opinion or view some sort of profound authority.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Have you noticed the increase in the use of the word "forever" in situations where it is ludicrously inappropriate? TV presenters talk about something changing someone's life "forever", as if that person has discovered the key to immortality. Adverts tell me that I will have cheaper heating bills "forever", which seems unlikely as (a) I am not going to live forever and (b) even if I did live forever the sun is due to cease working in the same way a few billion years from now and it is unlikely that the energy company concerned will survive that event.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Worse than that: the pundit is denying the existence of dark matter/dark energy, and hence postulating that the Universe will go on expanding ....

..... well: forever.... :lol:

See also here: quite entertaining!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They are the modern equivalent of um and er.

They are fillers, to give the speaker time to make a response - but reserving their place in the conversation.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'd guess the majority of of replies to this thread(including me)are over 50.
I think it's important to remember that nothing stands still,the English language included.
Language is a means of communicating,if you understand what's being said that's all that's required,the rest is style sometimes an individual may not like the style,I agree with Bob,'so' and 'well' are fillers,end of,or .

One word I have problems with is the word 'period' as in "I told him no,period".
It's because whenever it's used in that context it causes me to think of menstruation,which isn't something I like to think of too much as it makes me feel quite biliuos :cry: .
I've no idea where it comes from in that context other than the US.

As for the idiosyncrasies of verbal communication,for us old 'uns,eavesdrop on some teenagers chatting,preferably without them knowing,it's an education as 'sick' becomes 'great' and 'bad' becomes good,but isn't as good as 'really bad'

See I didn't use 'so' once,'welllllll' maybe just once........ :)

BTW,what does get right up my snout are people talking to camera whilst strangling some poor imaginary soul on their knees directly in front of them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no one has mentioned the isit
nez

Post by nez »

Devastated, anyone? Do you have a whole raft of objections or merely a great swathe?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Devastated, anyone? Do you have a whole raft of objections or merely a great swathe?

I'll see you 'devastated' and raise you a 'gutted' :shock: :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden