So

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ChrisOntLancs

Re: So

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

reohn2 wrote::shock: :? :mrgreen:

those are the lyrics... i think :lol:
https://youtu.be/7TcKiC2yB0s?t=2m5s
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

profpointy wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
profpointy wrote:"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by. And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

Who'd start a story like that, eh?

This is plainly a translation. I doubt the original began with 'so'.

what does a translator who's won a nobel prize for literature know about language ?

Exactly. Heaney has translated intoa modern idiom.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote:
profpointy wrote:"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by. And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

Who'd start a story like that, eh?

This is plainly a translation. I doubt the original began with 'so'.

It doesn't. The original goes:
Hwæt. We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,

And I'll definitely "Hwæt" the next person who begins a sentence with "Hwæt"....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Cyril Haearn wrote:*well* is even worse

Many people on the radio, including *professional* presenters need basic training, they talk too fast, uncleared, lazily

Mind, I do admire those who read a text correctly

"well* is even worse.

Many people on the radio, including *professional* presenters need basic training, they talk too fast, uncleared, lazily.

Mind, I do admire those who read a text correctly.

:lol: :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:OT soz, might want to skim.

Tangled Metal wrote:The Clash image being used Chris. Classic image from the cover of London Burning.

PS I've succeeded in getting my kid into the clash from a very early age. Always good to see a pre-schooler walking along singing a clash song. Worn out two CDs already! I've stopped short of letting him hear certain tracks though. Death and Glory springs to mind with its lyrics relating to nuns!

<snip>
i had parents like you. i used to love complete control because of the shouting over the outro "ANAGANAMANA GAH HEY ABA GAH GANAMANAMANAAA". parents could do a lot worse than introducing their small children to punk. great outlet, and they'll grow up with taste. perfect no? :mrgreen:

It's a desperate rearguard action against katy Perry and lady gaga! Timed to perfection to a period when i became flavour of the month. Because i liked it he liked it. Now it's clash over everything else. I just need to spend regularly to replace the worn out CDs! seriously they do wear out if you play them a lot.

BTW I fully intend to widen his musical tastes to among other things blues, reggae, even certain country/folk styles. I've just got to fully embed good music first. End any regression to fluffy girl/boy band rubbish. It's a long term war not just one battle!

PS i found good music as a kid for myself. Blues from Jagger, soul from the re-releases that came out late 80s/early 90s and country (johnny cash) from hearing his cover of nine inch nails on late night radio. I actually prided myself at 17 years for having music from every decade from 1900 to the modern day at the time. Blues is a truly old art form, older than jazz according to music historians by a few years.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:
ChrisOntLancs wrote:OT soz, might want to skim.

Tangled Metal wrote:The Clash image being used Chris. Classic image from the cover of London Burning.

PS I've succeeded in getting my kid into the clash from a very early age. Always good to see a pre-schooler walking along singing a clash song. Worn out two CDs already! I've stopped short of letting him hear certain tracks though. Death and Glory springs to mind with its lyrics relating to nuns!

<snip>
i had parents like you. i used to love complete control because of the shouting over the outro "ANAGANAMANA GAH HEY ABA GAH GANAMANAMANAAA". parents could do a lot worse than introducing their small children to punk. great outlet, and they'll grow up with taste. perfect no? :mrgreen:

It's a desperate rearguard action against katy Perry and lady gaga! Timed to perfection to a period when i became flavour of the month. Because i liked it he liked it. Now it's clash over everything else. I just need to spend regularly to replace the worn out CDs! seriously they do wear out if you play them a lot.

BTW I fully intend to widen his musical tastes to among other things blues, reggae, even certain country/folk styles. I've just got to fully embed good music first. End any regression to fluffy girl/boy band rubbish. It's a long term war not just one battle!

PS i found good music as a kid for myself. Blues from Jagger, soul from the re-releases that came out late 80s/early 90s and country (johnny cash) from hearing his cover of nine inch nails on late night radio. I actually prided myself at 17 years for having music from every decade from 1900 to the modern day at the time. Blues is a truly old art form, older than jazz according to music historians by a few years.

I saw the Clash just after London Calling was a hit, and they were good. A small venue packed in a way that would not be allowed today, with condensation dripping from the cealing due to sweat. But a few months later I saw Ian Dury and the Blockheads at the same venue and that was probably the best concert I've ever seen. The man gelled with the audience in a way that I have never seen before or since. It was joyous.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vantage wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:*well* is even worse

Many people on the radio, including *professional* presenters need basic training, they talk too fast, uncleared, lazily

Mind, I do admire those who read a text correctly

"well* is even worse.

Many people on the radio, including *professional* presenters need basic training, they talk too fast, uncleared, lazily.

Mind, I do admire those who read a text correctly.

:lol: :mrgreen:

I leave full stops out at the ends of paragraphs to save energy :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies