So

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
nez

Re: So

Post by nez »

I can't compete. In fact I mustn't. Mrs Nez tells me I shout at the telly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I can't compete. In fact I mustn't. Mrs Nez tells me I shout at the telly.

Ah! the word 'telly' Hmmm........... :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

At one point on television the overused word was "awesome". Thats reduced a bit to be replaced by "amazing".

No matter what it is or how piddling an event....... "it's amazing".

Also the continual use of "OMG", "oh my god".... and the corrupted version by the non religious PC yoof of "oh my gosh", these can all be appended by "it's amazing" to increase my anger. Not forgetting the obligatory flapping of hands in front of eyes to fan away the tears when these individuals become "really emotional". :roll:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:Ah! the word 'telly' Hmmm........... :wink:
Wasn't he that bald guy who played a copper on the ......er...... telly?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Grow up it's only words. Sorry you are well and truly grown up. I mean get a life. OMG! You do go on a bit. It's language innnit, it moves on and evolves. I bet when your youth was within your capacity to remember you'll recognize words that your generation took on board. Cool, way out man and dude are a few old chestnuts that probably wound your parents up. Bet a few wrote to the Times to complain about it too.

And here is the important bit, you don't have to use the new phrases. You can even choose to ignore them or not read them. Besides you probably will outlive a few of the most annoying ones, well i hope you will. :wink:

BTW I'm under 50 and find a lot of these phrases and use of inappropriate words annoying too. So glad you said over 50 BTW. It puts me in a younger category, most arguments about the annoyance of modern youth culture uses 40 as the division. Makes me feel that I'm still hanging on to the last vestiges of my youth. Not really! I'm a grey haired man in his 40s.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i've been ending my sentences with it. "so....." so.... it's clear you haven't thought about what words you want to use have you chris?

i think the most humane way to deal with this is an on the spot 50s movie glove-slap for every offence. that's how we sorted the upward inflection, and i've certainly never looked back.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The Clash image being used Chris. Classic image from the cover of London Burning.

PS I've succeeded in getting my kid into the clash from a very early age. Always good to see a pre-schooler walking along singing a clash song. Worn out two CDs already! I've stopped short of letting him hear certain tracks though. Death and Glory springs to mind with its lyrics relating to nuns!
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by. And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

Who'd start a story like that, eh?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:{FFE - family-friendly edit }! Grow up it's only words. Sorry you are well and truly grown up. I mean get a life. OMG! You do go on a bit. It's language innnit, it moves on and evolves. I bet when your youth was within your capacity to remember you'll recognize words that your generation took on board. Cool, way out man and dude are a few old chestnuts that probably wound your parents up. Bet a few wrote to the Times to complain about it too.

And here is the important bit, you don't have to use the new phrases. You can even choose to ignore them or not read them. Besides you probably will outlive a few of the most annoying ones, well i hope you will. :wink:

BTW I'm under 50 and find a lot of these phrases and use of inappropriate words annoying too. So glad you said over 50 BTW. It puts me in a younger category, most arguments about the annoyance of modern youth culture uses 40 as the division. Makes me feel that I'm still hanging on to the last vestiges of my youth. Not really! I'm a grey haired man in his 40s.

You CANNOT BE SERIOUS! :mrgreen:
Last edited by reohn2 on 6 Apr 2017, 4:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Ah! the word 'telly' Hmmm........... :wink:
Wasn't he that bald guy who played a copper on the ......er...... telly?

Who loves ya' baby :wink:
W H Auden
nez

Post by nez »

profpointy wrote:"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by. And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

of arms and the man I sing.

prepositions and conjunctions do float about a bit and accidence will 'appen (boom boom)!
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

OT soz, might want to skim.

Tangled Metal wrote:The Clash image being used Chris. Classic image from the cover of London Burning.

PS I've succeeded in getting my kid into the clash from a very early age. Always good to see a pre-schooler walking along singing a clash song. Worn out two CDs already! I've stopped short of letting him hear certain tracks though. Death and Glory springs to mind with its lyrics relating to nuns!

hah every so often i go through a phase of 'clash uber ales', then it's a couple of weeks of DK, then i can go back to my other records :D

i had parents like you. i used to love complete control because of the shouting over the outro "ANAGANAMANA GAH HEY ABA GAH GANAMANAMANAAA". parents could do a lot worse than introducing their small children to punk. great outlet, and they'll grow up with taste. perfect no? :mrgreen:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

profpointy wrote:"So, the spear-Danes in days gone by. And the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness"

This is plainly a translation. I doubt the original began with 'so'.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Mike Sales wrote:

This is plainly a translation. I doubt the original began with 'so'.

what does a translator who's won a nobel prize for literature know about language ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:.......i had parents like you. i used to love complete control because of the shouting over the outro "ANAGANAMANA GAH HEY ABA GAH GANAMANAMANAAA". parents could do a lot worse than introducing their small children to punk. great outlet, and they'll grow up with taste. perfect no? :mrgreen:

So landlord, I'll have a pint of wot^^^ 'ee's 'ad :shock: :? :mrgreen:
W H Auden