has this ever happened on UK airlines?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: has this ever happened on UK airlines?

Post by Mike Sales »

Boyd wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Boyd wrote:So you did generalise? censorship of me is acceptable but not of you? There is word for that, can't think what it is!!

I made no generalisation. Prove I did. Neither did I censor. Your remark, censored by the moderator, would not have been printed in any British publication.

How would you know what my remark was if it was censored by the moderator? It would not have appeared so you could not have have read it? What are you talking about?

Your remark was up quite long enough before moderation.
Are you really trying to deny making it?

I note you are unable to quote my generalisation you alleged.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote:
Boyd wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

I made no generalisation. Prove I did. Neither did I censor. Your remark, censored by the moderator, would not have been printed in any British publication.

How would you know what my remark was if it was censored by the moderator? It would not have appeared so you could not have have read it? What are you talking about?

I think you two have each mistaken each other's remarks for someone elses. Boyd made a *general* comment about moderation. Nothing that was ever published on this thread.

This all began when you responded to a remark by Boyd that included a quote from pliptrot
Mike Sales wrote:
Boyd wrote:
pliptrot wrote:The US has always been a nation of ugly views and prejudices predicated on liberalist capitalism, religion and racism. You should not be surprised by this.

It's a composting toilet -> my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.

Wow nowt like a bit of generalisation.

And of course you would never generalise?

which you subsequently seem to have attributed incorrectly to Boyd. So, will you two kindly stop sniping at each other.

Thank you.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like UA dont just dont like passengers but also giant bunnies which has been killed

their troubles have no end :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39715188
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Boyd wrote:How would you know what my remark was if it was censored by the moderator? It would not have appeared so you could not have have read it? What are you talking about?

I think you two have each mistaken each other's remarks for someone elses. Boyd made a *general* comment about moderation. Nothing that was ever published on this thread.

This all began when you responded to a remark by Boyd that included a quote from pliptrot
Mike Sales wrote:
Boyd wrote:Wow nowt like a bit of generalisation.

And of course you would never generalise?

which you subsequently seem to have attributed incorrectly to Boyd. So, will you two kindly stop sniping at each other.

Thank you.

YOU have misread. My objection to Boyd stemmed from his objecting to Pliptrot's generalization after his own, moderated rightly, comment.
Never mind, let it be.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:seems like UA dont just dont like passengers but also giant bunnies which has been killed

their troubles have no end :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39715188

I wonder if some United administrator has checked all their 1st class catering menu's yet - I can see the headlines now:

Day 1: United kills giant bunny on flight
    Day 2: 1st and business Class long haul served roast rabbit dinner ...

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote:YOU have misread. My objection to Boyd stemmed from HIS hypocrisy in objecting to Pliptrot's generalization after his own, moderated rightly, comment.
Never mind, let it be.

I donæt know what you think you saw, but nothing of Boyd's was moderated on this thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:YOU have misread. My objection to Boyd stemmed from HIS hypocrisy in objecting to Pliptrot's generalization after his own, moderated rightly, comment.
Never mind, let it be.

I donæt know what you think you saw, but nothing of Boyd's was moderated on this thread.

You are right. Boyd's generalisation was on another thread.
I am not given to hallucinations.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Mike Sales wrote:

Slowly.. all my post are moderated before they are posted. Therefore it was never posted. Feel free to tell me what the post said that "would not have been printed in any British publication"
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Mike Sales wrote:
Boyd wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

:roll:
Boyd wrote:
pliptrot wrote:The US has always been a nation of ugly views and prejudices predicated on liberalist capitalism, religion and racism. You should not be surprised by this.

It's a composting toilet -> my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.

Wow nowt like a bit of generalisation.

Okay Mr sales. Let's call it quits?
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

hjd10 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Anyone who calls the police in the USA should be prepared for violence :([/quote

+1 Having lived out in the States for 2 and a half years I understand your statement.

I lived and worked there for a while, and as an armed bodyguard and driver was frequently visited and checked upon. I didn't get slapped around or shot very much.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

32 of us lived and worked in San Diego for 11 months.
We never had any issues, locals loved us, invites to Barbies etc .
(Not always the food type .. :lol: )
Royal Air Force ..... Eat The peach ...:)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Lance Dopestrong

Bonefishblues wrote:The airline has lost the moral case already, clearly. The legal case was also lost when excessive force was used. The Doc has a rabid lawyer. The only question is "how much"?

Problem for the Doc is that no matter how morally messed up the whole situation was, he was in breach of international aviation law by refusing to leave the aircraft when lawfully ordered to do so. He chose to unlawfully resist, and reasonable force over there means a whole different thing to over here. I'm surprised they didn't light him up.

As aforementioned, I've worked there and the moment a copper gives you a lawful order you ruddy well jump to it and don't argue, cos you'll end up doing the chicken if you do. And he did. All the more so for me because I had my operators licence and concealed carry permit to consider, and the police sign off on both of those.

I feel for the bloke, it was handled badly, but the moment he refused he was in the wrong side of the law. Talk of lawyers and buying an island with the compensation went very quiet when that little overlooked fact finally made it to air in the press.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

If you don't like their laws ... don't travel on their Airline .....
Have to agree with you Lance...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Lance Dopestrong

Don't get me wrong, I think it was a disgrace and bang out of line, but simply not liking a law isn't justification for breaking it and then complaining when a Hispanic copper knee drops your kidneys.

The time to have the argument is afterwards, although the Doctors recalcitrance and the sight of his nose smeared across his face did bring the subject to the attention of the press.

Still, for all his righteous indignation, and using his patients as his justification for deciding he didn't have to obey a lawful order (multiple lawful orders as it goes) he never did get to attend to his patients the next day because he was too busy being a patient himself.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think it was a disgrace and bang out of line, but simply not liking a law isn't justification for breaking it and then complaining when a Hispanic copper knee drops your kidneys.

The time to have the argument is afterwards, although the Doctors recalcitrance and the sight of his nose smeared across his face did bring the subject to the attention of the press.

Still, for all his righteous indignation, and using his patients as his justification for deciding he didn't have to obey a lawful order (multiple lawful orders as it goes) he never did get to attend to his patients the next day because he was too busy being a patient himself.

Actually, I think that what United did was illegal. I'm not a lawyer, but passenger rights are quite clearly defined by the US Department of Transport.
-The flight was not overbooked
-the passenger was not denied boarding (which is the usual remedy for overbooking)
-the flight was boarded and the passenger seated
-at that point, the situation became a refusal for transport rather than denial of boarding. Rufusal is covered under a different part of the contract when you purchase tickets. United's is here https://www.united.com/web/en-US/conten ... aspx#sec21

The doctor has since settled with United for an undisclosed sum. That happened very quickly, so my suspicion is that it was quite a lot of money.