Aspiring politicians

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ambodach

Aspiring politicians

Post by ambodach »

Just got a leaflet in from a tory candidate for our local council elections. In this I am ordered by "Tank Commander" Davidson ( head of Scottish torys) to vote for this guy to stop another independence referendum. This is a local council election which should be about looking after things like rubbish collection, potholes in the roads etc. If they expect me to vote for somebody who seems to have a non local agenda they should think again. This sounds like some kind of obsession where nothing else matters but pushing something nobody else seems to suggest is imminent.Local interest seem to be of minor importance.
ChrisOntLancs

Re: Aspiring politicians

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i cant see any mainstream party learning from previous lessons to be honest. "you'll do what you're told" :/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ambodach wrote:....... If they expect me to vote for somebody who seems to have a non local agenda they should think again. This sounds like some kind of obsession where nothing else matters but pushing something nobody else seems to suggest is imminent.Local interest seem to be of minor importance.

But you're a thinking voter,the Tories are counting on non thinking voters who can't see the wood for the trees :? in Scotland they're on a loser.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is a pity that local matters do no always dominate local elections. I too would like policies on local nuts and bolts stuff from local candidates, not how they would change the world if it were up to them.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:It is a pity that local matters do no always dominate local elections. I too would like policies on local nuts and bolts stuff from local candidates, not how they would change the world if it were up to them.

Even when local matters do predominate it does not mean you get a half sensible councillor. Ours (safe seat Tory) does nothing other than support any planning application "for business". So submit a planning application "for a Jacuzzi in my yard" and he'll ignore it (despite neighbour/Parish Council objections. But submit a planning application "for a Jacuzzi in my yard (for business)" and he'll support it despite neighbour and Parish Council objections.

We had one a year ago where hundreds of people were objecting, several professional consultants were engaged by some groups objecting, local MP objected, all 3 neighbouring Parish Councils objected, but he would not because the applicaion included running a horse breeding business (on 3 aces of land!).

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

We have a local independent councilor in the nearby town of Bridgend (used to be Labour but fell out with his local party like he falls out with everyone) and all he does is grandstand on how he opposes everything anyone else supports. He managed to convince enough fellow councilors to get them to formally break links with their town twinning association, prompting the Welsh First Minister to ask whether Bridgend wanted to be known as the town with no friends. Some councilors are just Grumpy Old Men who like other people to listen to their whinging. Maybe I should run for office....