For Gods sake ...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hondated

Re: For Gods sake ...

Post by hondated »

bigjim wrote:Been raining all day here so no chance of being out on the bike. My wife did a big shop at Aldi this morning whilst I was down the gym. The gym was packed.

BJ rain in Manchester surely not !
hondated

Post by hondated »

honesty wrote:I find it amusing that a thread complaining about working on a religious holiday is titled and started with blasphemy. Heh.

Blimey H bit deep for me but then I am only an ex secondary modern boy.
hondated

Post by hondated »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:us atheists have our own dogma. my blood runs beige. :lol:

it really irritates me actually, to have my beefs with organised religion. it seems as we progress to a more secular society though, we're keeping all the bad stuff and stopping the good.

me and my fellow atheists need to stop seeing ourselves as the saviors of humanity because we're definitely not.

(sorry for the OT, OP, you hit a nerve!)

Chris no need for an apology its getting a bit deep for me now so I think I will bow out.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Spinners wrote:Good Friday is a Bank Holiday in England and Wales.

Thanks Spinners looks like I was right on that count then.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

honesty wrote:I find it amusing that a thread complaining about working on a religious holiday is titled and started with blasphemy

This reminded me of the marigold hotel program at christmas where they had several coffin dodging celebrities testing various countries as places to retire or die. One of the celebs was miriam margolyes. One morning she was out on the veranda when the smoke alarm went off. She wanders in to find the other celebs wafting smoke, "what on earth are you doing you've set the smoke alarm off" she says, they respond "oh we're cooking breakfast". She says "well what are you cooking to cause this", "oh we're doing bacon". She walks out "Bacon.....Bacon, Jesus Christ do you not realise there's jews in the house". :)

Christmas is a nice holiday( solstice time too ) but easter doesn't have any appeal,always busy on the roads and lots of garden centre activity.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

hondated wrote:
bigjim wrote:Been raining all day here so no chance of being out on the bike. My wife did a big shop at Aldi this morning whilst I was down the gym. The gym was packed.

BJ rain in Manchester surely not !

Yea unusual. :) Actually the rainy Manchester thing is a bit of a myth. Lots of place in the UK have it a lot worse. Manchester is pretty sheltered.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:It seems to me that those that are unhappy with shops closing on bank holidays are the same that will shout about workers and the low paid's rights.
The opportunity for retail and non essential staff to have a break with their family has been lost.
School hols, long weekend, possibly a visit to church... or just time for family is so important.

Statutory holiday entitlement used to specify 20 days plus Bank Holidays*, now it's 28 days.
I'm not sure what you think has been lost? People still have the same number of days off, just not necessarily at the same time. For working couples with children this may be an advantage, kids are off all week, instead of getting both parents for two days, they get one parent for four. I changed jobs from one where I chose all my holidays, now I have to take the Bank Holidays and a Christmas shutdown, I know which I preferred.

*Though your employment contract could require you to work these and take alternative days in lieu.
PH

Post by PH »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:businesses open because they want to make money, and if people have got time off work they can and very much do spend their money. i just hope the shops that do stay open pay their staff time and half.

Unsocial hours payments have disappeared from many if not most low paid workers contracts, died out with the unions. Many retail staff are on minimum hours contracts, Asda is apparently the worst offender. Most staff on contracted hours equivalent to two or three shifts a week, the rest is as and when and standard rate for the first 40 hours whatever the days or hours.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:It seems to me that those that are unhappy with shops closing on bank holidays are the same that will shout about workers and the low paid's rights.
The opportunity for retail and non essential staff to have a break with their family has been lost.
School hols, long weekend, possibly a visit to church... or just time for family is so important.

Statutory holiday entitlement used to specify 20 days plus Bank Holidays*, now it's 28 days.
I'm not sure what you think has been lost? People still have the same number of days off, just not necessarily at the same time. For working couples with children this may be an advantage, kids are off all week, instead of getting both parents for two days, they get one parent for four. I changed jobs from one where I chose all my holidays, now I have to take the Bank Holidays and a Christmas shutdown, I know which I preferred.

*Though your employment contract could require you to work these and take alternative days in lieu.

I'm entitled to 28 days plus Bank Holidays, but last year I didn't take all my leave because my employer was too busy at times I could take breaks with the family. And I do work part of some weekends and Bank Holidays, when the family are at home. No choice. Like most of us I enjoy the convenience of shops and other amenities being open so much of the time, but on the whole I think things would be better if we had quiet days when most things stayed shut.
PH

Post by PH »

pwa wrote:I'm entitled to 28 days plus Bank Holidays,

Well we're all entitled to what it says in our employment contract, the Statutory holiday entitlement is 5.6 weeks (28 days if you work a 5 day week).
1. Entitlement
Almost all workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday per year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave). An employer can include bank holidays as part of statutory annual leave.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- ... ntitlement
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

hondated wrote:Chris no need for an apology its getting a bit deep for me now so I think I will bow out.

that's a shame, i got the joke too! :(

the problem really does go deep though, and as mentioned, they don't care about the workers so by extension their gods are irrelevant too.

PH wrote: Asda is apparently the worst offender.

incidentally that's where i just went for my spuds, and the one worker on the entire shop floor was having a nightmare of a shift. she's a fellow cyclist actually so inherently cool.

but it's unfair to say asda don't care about religion because they've got a huge display for their easter merchandise ;)
windysmithy

Re: For Dogs' sake ...

Post by windysmithy »

I guess its not that bad when no one takes Nail a Jewish Hippy To A Cross Day seriously...

Nice that its the waning moon after the equinox though. Feels more springy.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

windysmithy wrote:I guess its not that bad when no one takes Nail a Jewish Hippy To A Cross Day seriously...

i guess when you put it like that :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:
windysmithy wrote:I guess its not that bad when no one takes Nail a Jewish Hippy To A Cross Day seriously...

i guess when you put it like that :lol:

Be a god,err sorry(I meant to write 'good')consumer,get out there and spend........

BTW you'll be able to fill yer boots wiv chocolate eggs on Monday they'll be giving 'em away :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Nice that its the waning moon after the equinox though. Feels more springy.

It's a pity we can't be as flippant about other religions.