Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs

Post by Mick F »

Just a little addition to this subject ...............

I drive the community bus, and it's a 15 seater Fiat thingy. The bus goes in and out the narrow lanes in and out of the housing and bungalows etc.

I was here exactly on Monday.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.50333 ... 312!8i6656

A lady in a car was coming towards me.
We stopped.
She looked at me, and I looked at her.
She had loads of room to reverse, and as I'm in a big minibus with a dozen passengers, it was up to her to reverse into a wide space maybe 100yds back.

She couldn't do it.
She weaved left and right, slipped the clutch, hit the bank, flipped her mirrors backwards against the banks, and had no idea at all.
My passengers to a man/woman said that the folk like her shouldn't be allowed to have a driving licence.
Meanwhile, traffic was backing up behind her .......... and me.

We eventually passed each other, and were stuck. :lol:
She was stuck with her wheels to the left into the bank and couldn't cope.
I was stuck because I couldn't open my door to help. :lol:

I opened my window, and told her to turn her wheels fully to her right and move a little forward to take her off the bank.
By doing that, we freed ourselves, and I could draw forwards out of the way of the back of her.
As I drove past the other cars stuck behind, they all smiled and shook their heads.
All I could do was laugh. :lol:
The whole thing took maybe 20mins.

Why should ANYONE be allowed to drive a car who cannot reverse in a straight line?
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

New article in road.cc about the driving test changes...

http://road.cc/content/news/225228-half ... -awareness
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:.....
Why should ANYONE be allowed to drive a car who cannot reverse in a straight line?

I see that all the time, normally when I have to leave home around "School Run" time. On the single track lanes parent thinking about kids are going too fast to stop at their nearest passing space (single track lanes) and the entertainment value is watching somebody trying to reverse less than 100 yds back down a straight road ... beggars belief.

On all the single track lanes we have it is rare for anybody to have to reverse and most people drive at a suitable speed so when two cars see each other one of them can get into a passing space without reversing. It's only "School Run" and some younger drivers (too fast for lanes) where they end-up having to reverse.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:New article in road.cc about the driving test changes...
http://road.cc/content/news/225228-half ... -awareness

I have to say, I'm inclined to agree with the sentiments saying "missed opportunity". Time and time again I've waited for cyclist-awareness (and that of other vulnerable users) to be brought in. Zilch.

As to using a satnav - I personally wish the evil monstrosities had never been invented - but I suppose they're here to stay :evil: . The only thing that matters, as far as I'm concerned, is: being able to use one without one's attention being diverted from the road. If a candidate can't - that should be an instant fail.

There's one personal plus for me - taking away the 3-point turn and the reverse-around-corner. Especially the latter, seeing as the front and side of our house happen to be one of the most favoured locales in the town. With consequent spewing of exhaust fumes all across our garden. Should I celebrate in some manner? Have a bottle of bubbly (non-alcoholic of course) ready, to toast the last hapless L-driver to perform this manoeuvre? :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Just a little addition to this subject ...............

I drive the community bus, and it's a 15 seater Fiat thingy. The bus goes in and out the narrow lanes in and out of the housing and bungalows etc.

I was here exactly on Monday.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.50333 ... 312!8i6656

A lady in a car was coming towards me.
We stopped.
She looked at me, and I looked at her.
She had loads of room to reverse, and as I'm in a big minibus with a dozen passengers, it was up to her to reverse into a wide space maybe 100yds back.

She couldn't do it.
She weaved left and right, slipped the clutch, hit the bank, flipped her mirrors backwards against the banks, and had no idea at all.
My passengers to a man/woman said that the folk like her shouldn't be allowed to have a driving licence.
Meanwhile, traffic was backing up behind her .......... and me.

We eventually passed each other, and were stuck. :lol:
She was stuck with her wheels to the left into the bank and couldn't cope.
I was stuck because I couldn't open my door to help. :lol:

I opened my window, and told her to turn her wheels fully to her right and move a little forward to take her off the bank.
By doing that, we freed ourselves, and I could draw forwards out of the way of the back of her.
As I drove past the other cars stuck behind, they all smiled and shook their heads.
All I could do was laugh. :lol:
The whole thing took maybe 20mins.

[youtube]YtPAw_SZISg[/youtube]

well some cars are fussy where they are parked?

[youtube]ow6waq2dEb8[/youtube]

this one just dont want to go out for a ride :lol:
[youtube]QS21TwxPXm8[/youtube]

a compilation of the worst :oops: :cry: :shock:
[youtube]Z7FqHJh6Ty4[/youtube]

makes me worried about going ou ton the roads :lol: