** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
blackbike

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by blackbike »

No hung parliament for Brexit.

580 MPs were elected for parties which had pro-Brexit manifestos.

Pro-EU parties like the Lib Dems and the SNP didn't do well at all.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:No hung parliament for Brexit.

580 MPs were elected for parties which had pro-Brexit manifestos.

Pro-EU parties like the Lib Dems and the SNP didn't do well at all.

But, even after all this time, no one knows what Brexit is.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bovlomov wrote: ... But, even after all this time, no one knows what Brexit is.

Come on: Brexit is Brexit. Mrs May says so.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:

Yes. And I'm hearing that Brexit might mean Remain.

But what do we mean by mean?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:

That a different thread ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looks like Ms May will be spending even more tax payers money defending her Conseervative Party being kept in power by the DUP as a legal challenge is to be launched against the deal (when it is announced)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/20/theresa-may-faces-legal-challenge-proposed-deal-dup wrote:Theresa May is facing a landmark legal challenge over her proposed deal with the Democratic Unionist party on the grounds that it breaches the Good Friday agreement.

An experienced legal team, which has been involved in constitutional challenges, is planning to apply for a judicial review of the deal once it is announced, the Guardian has learned.

High court judges would be asked to examine whether the pact breaches the British government’s commitment to exercise “rigorous impartiality” in the Good Friday agreement.

Seems a reasonable challenge and no doubt Ms May will sink more tax payers money in because she wants to stay in power, because she messed-up, etc. I wonder if it is time for the tax payer to stop bank-rolling Ms May and her desire for power?

Ian
meic

Post by meic »

I wonder if it is time for the tax payer to stop bank-rolling Ms May and her desire for power?

That is the sort of thing which is , for now at least, decided by a general election not an experienced legal team and a high court judge. We had an election within the last month I seem to recall.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

meic wrote:
I wonder if it is time for the tax payer to stop bank-rolling Ms May and her desire for power?

That is the sort of thing which is , for now at least, decided by a general election not an experienced legal team and a high court judge. We had an election within the last month I seem to recall.

yes, and the outcome is still uncertain :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:Looks like Ms May will be spending even more tax payers money defending her Conseervative Party being kept in power by the DUP as a legal challenge is to be launched against the deal (when it is announced)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/20/theresa-may-faces-legal-challenge-proposed-deal-dup wrote:Theresa May is facing a landmark legal challenge over her proposed deal with the Democratic Unionist party on the grounds that it breaches the Good Friday agreement.

An experienced legal team, which has been involved in constitutional challenges, is planning to apply for a judicial review of the deal once it is announced, the Guardian has learned.

High court judges would be asked to examine whether the pact breaches the British government’s commitment to exercise “rigorous impartiality” in the Good Friday agreement.

Seems a reasonable challenge and no doubt Ms May will sink more tax payers money in because she wants to stay in power, because she messed-up, etc. I wonder if it is time for the tax payer to stop bank-rolling Ms May and her desire for power?

Ian

It's called democracy,something the UK is sadly lacking .........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:

But I can also see that there is a legal Good Friday Agreement and the Government has obligations under that agreement as, from what I've read, they must maintain a neutral position and if they are only in power because of the support of one party that is involved in the Good Friday Agreement then they no longer have a neutral position.

So I think that challenge is about the Good Friday Agreement and the UK Governments obligations under that agreement rather than about the General Election (a General Election does not allow the Government to ignore its obligations).

Ian
meic

Post by meic »

That means the all NI voters will be disenfranchised in the UK parliament.

I dont think the Good Friday agreement, an experienced legal team or even a high court judge should be able to disenfranchise swathes of the electorate.
Yma o Hyd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:That means the all NI voters will be disenfranchised in the UK parliament.

I dont think the Good Friday agreement, an experienced legal team or even a high court judge should be able to disenfranchise swathes of the electorate.

Why would al NI voters be disenfranchised? They got their vote, they elected their MPs. No disenfranchising going on.

As I said before, I think the case is being brought abut the Good Friday agreement NOT about the General election. Government is subject to constraints it previously agreed to. All the Judges would do is decide if they have held to the legal obligations of those agreements, i.e. a matter of law, and agreement the Government freely, of-its-own-will entered into.

Should the Judge(s) decide the Government any deal with the DUP breaks the Good Friday legal agreement then the Government can decide to stick to its previous agreements of to pull-out of the Good Friday agreement. If you agree to something and document in in a legal agreement you can't just break the terms of that agreement because a Party Leader wants a majority government.

The electorate (incl. NI) voted and if the outcome is a minority Conservative Government so be it - it's the result of the election and however much Ms May might no like it, she is still bound by previous Government legal obligations.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Now it appears the DUP are after an extra two billion quid for Ulster in payment for propping up the Tory government. Effectively Theresa May would be spending a vast amount of our money for her own political purposes. As as been said before never underestimate the Conservative's ability to put party before country.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:Now it appears the DUP are after an extra two billion quid for Ulster in payment for propping up the Tory government. Effectively Theresa May would be spending a vast amount of our money for her own political purposes. As as been said before never underestimate the Conservative's ability to put party before country.

May seems to regard taxpayer money as her own private slush fund. Why should NI get loads of extra money because they will keep May in charge. Why more than Norfolk who are also propping-up the May regime (just they are already Conservative MPs).

And is she goes ahead then she will be using even more tax payer money to defend the legal challenge to the deal.

Skewing public funding to support a failed leader who is on her way out anyway is complete misuse of public funds.

But be assured there will always be enough left for MP's expenses and pay rises.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
pete75 wrote:Now it appears the DUP are after an extra two billion quid for Ulster in payment for propping up the Tory government. Effectively Theresa May would be spending a vast amount of our money for her own political purposes. As as been said before never underestimate the Conservative's ability to put party before country.

May seems to regard taxpayer money as her own private slush fund. Why should NI get loads of extra money because they will keep May in charge. Why more than Norfolk who are also propping-up the May regime (just they are already Conservative MPs).

And is she goes ahead then she will be using even more tax payer money to defend the legal challenge to the deal.

Skewing public funding to support a failed leader who is on her way out anyway is complete misuse of public funds.

But be assured there will always be enough left for MP's expenses and pay rises.

Ian

Maybe she's found her magic money tree...
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker