** The General Election Thread **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The General Election Thread **

Post by Cyril Haearn »

bovlomov wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: If you are law abiding you have nothing to fear.

Would you like to qualify that? I mean, to take into account the numerous law abiding people who have suffered as a result of surveillance, mistaken identity, harassment or data leaks? Or are you going to let your statement stand in all its glory?

Re face recognition, what about identical twins? Thick beards?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

al_yrpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: If you are law abiding you have nothing to fear.

Would you like to qualify that? I mean, to take into account the numerous law abiding people who have suffered as a result of surveillance, mistaken identity, harassment or data leaks? Or are you going to let your statement stand in all its glory?

No, because it's a miniscule number of folk who suffer like this.

We are making progress. You agree that some law abiding people have something to fear. You just think it's a minuscule number.

Any thoughts on the numbers? If you need some help, I could spend five minutes gathering a few examples of government data leaks.

EDIT: To start you off, here's an article from The Register about police data breaches.
the results “show officers misusing their access to information for financial gain and passing sensitive information to members of organised crime groups”. Over the last five years, more than 800 members of staff at police forces “accessed personal information without a policing purpose” and information was “inappropriately shared with third parties more than 800 times”.
Last edited by bovlomov on 21 May 2017, 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Re face recognition, what about identical twins? Thick beards?

Well, for CCTV, we have that famous example of the Brazilian who looked similar to a terrorist. Oddly, while suspicion was raised as a result of CCTV, the same technology was not working at the place of the shooting. (I think that raises another objection: The people who control the data are able to destroy - or at least hide - the bits that don't suit their case.)
sjs

Post by sjs »

bovlomov wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Re face recognition, what about identical twins? Thick beards?

Well, for CCTV, we have that famous example of the Brazilian who looked similar to a terrorist. Oddly, while suspicion was raised as a result of CCTV, the same technology was not working at the place of the shooting. (I think that raises another objection: The people who control the data are able to destroy - or at least hide - the bits that don't suit their case.)

And, somewhat off-topic, the boss of that magnificent operation is now in charge of the Met.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
pete75 wrote:
The article you link to says " Local authorities will be invited to apply to trial different types of identification, including forms of photo ID such as driving licenses and passports" so it certainly seems that photo id is being considered as an option. The other thing they mention is a utilities bill - easy to download as a pdf if you've set up online access and then easy to edit to show any identity you like. That form of id proof might even make electoral fraud easier.

And, in a household with Mum, Dad and a couple of kids in their early 20's (because there is no housing they could afford ...) do they each have their own electricity bill, or get individual water bills ?

Ian

There are very few people who cannot get ID if required. You need it these days for lots of things, including getting a job. Personally, I see nothing wrong with people having to prove they are who they say they are.

Yes as I said with a computer and printer it's very easy to get yourself whatever identity you want.

There probably aren't vast numbers of people who can't get genuine id. Just because it may be a relatively small number doesn't mean they should be disenfranchised though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

sjs wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

And, somewhat off-topic, the boss of that magnificent operation is now in charge of the Met.

Yes I started a thread here, *CreDi follows HoHo* but there was not much interest. I am far from London and would like to know how she is getting on. One good thing, she asked to be paid many thousands of pounds less than Sir Bernard earned
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Says it all really

[youtube]0M91g4OlGEY[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete
Nail,Head,On!
The Tories track record makes you weep,if you take the time to look at it objectively.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Seeing May on TV last night was ... unbelievable. Does she really think people so daft that they will blindly swallow any rubbish she says - however obviously untrue it is. She is treating us with contempt (with her "Nothing has changed" speech).

And what is far far worse is that she has sent a very clear message to the EU (again) in that she can and does change her mind under pressure. One moment denying there will be a General Election then suddenly there is one; one moment a dementia tax, next moment not. Tells the EU that they just have to stick to their guns and she will give way (and often quickly).

It always was going to be a disaster but May have just made life a lot easier for the EU to get what it wants.

Ian
sjs

Post by sjs »

reohn2 wrote:Pete
Nail,Head,On!
The Tories track record makes you weep,if you take the time to look at it objectively.

Very true. But having seen Mike Kane (I think) on Newsnight last night I really wish there were a more convincing opposition. Or even one more skilled at avoiding answering the question.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote:
Nail,Head,On!

Very true. But having seen Mike Kane (I think) on Newsnight last night I really wish there were a more convincing opposition. Or even one more skilled at avoiding answering the question.

Are we talking personalities/PR or policies?
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That video sums it all up so sickenley correct.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
sjs

Post by sjs »

reohn2 wrote:
sjs wrote:
Nail,Head,On!

Are we talking personalities/PR or policies?

If the personalities will not answer questions about their policies it's hard to say.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Labour suspend local part official after he wrote that he would not put it past our government or Theresa May to blow up their own people in order to continue to secure power for themselves.

https://order-order.com/2017/05/26/two- ... -theories/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

blackbike wrote:Labour suspend local part official after he wrote that he would not put it past our government or Theresa May to blow up their own people in order to continue to secure power for themselves.

https://order-order.com/2017/05/26/two- ... -theories/

I've heard worse from other political parties members
W H Auden